PDA

View Full Version : The Time Traveller's Wife--November 2008

James81
03-19-2008, 06:49 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/

Has anybody else read this book? I read it and thought it was awesome. Now they are turning it into a movie and I can't wait to see how it pans out.

Main stars are Eric Bana (the guy who played Hulk) and Rachel Macadams.

I think it has promise.

maestrowork
03-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Good casting, I think. I just wonder how they're going to do the jumping timelines. It's going to be a challenge. The script can either be super cool or just a jumbled mess. But I like Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams, but I do wonder if they have chemistry, which would be extremely important for the film.

Who will play Claire as a girl? Her chemistry with Eric would be interesting, too... without it being creepy.

James81
03-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Good casting, I think. I just wonder how they're going to do the jumping timelines. It's going to be a challenge. The script can either be super cool or just a jumbled mess. But I like Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams, but I do wonder if they have chemistry, which would be extremely important for the film.

Who will play Claire as a girl? Her chemistry with Eric would be interesting, too... without it being creepy.

Well yeah, but considering that the book was pretty confusing in the beginning too, they have their work cut out for them.

If I remember right, the book pretty much took it from Claire's point of view and moved forward through her life. If they stick with the outline of the book, it'll work ok.

maestrowork
03-19-2008, 09:00 PM
BTW, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston were attached to the project before they split. They were to play Henry and Claire originally.

TrainofThought
03-19-2008, 09:07 PM
This is one of my top favorite books. Hereís a link to other opinions regarding the book. The Time Travelerís Wife (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33216&highlight=Time+Traveler%27s). Iíve NEVER seen a movie that was better than a book Iíve read, but I might rent it if Iím bored.

althrasher
03-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Haha, Ray, I thought it was pretty creepy in the book at the beginning..

Has anyone seen that show Journeyman on NBC? It seemed like completely ripped from TTW, but I never watched it. Just wondering...

James81
03-19-2008, 09:12 PM
BTW, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston were attached to the project before they split. They were to play Henry and Claire originally.

Thank God that didn't happen. ;)

bethany
03-19-2008, 09:15 PM
Ooh this is one of my favorite books ever. Can't wait to see the movie! :)

Uncarved
03-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Top fave book ever, I'm both enthralled and scared to death to see it. There are really only two ways it can come out:
Perfection
or
Complete waste of time

Here's hoping for perfection;)

maestrowork
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
I seriously doubt the movie will be better than the book, but I hope it's a good script that will make it at least a good movie, and not make it super sappy like The Notebook. ACK.

Uncarved
03-19-2008, 09:34 PM
oh and its got Office Space's Ron Livingston as Gomez. I'm so going to this.
It has the precise person I saw for clare and someone TOTALLY different than "my" henry.
Going to go read the book for the 20th time. Sigh, its these moments that make me think that I am indeed a girl.

James81
03-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Sigh, its these moments that make me think that I am indeed a girl.

Well, hopefully you aren't just figuring that out. :poke::D

Uncarved
03-19-2008, 10:08 PM
oh hisssssssss....

just typically I don't get things. I don't get the commercials that make my friends cry, I don't shoe shop (I don't even like to WEAR shoes). I stay in a garage or at a dragstrip, never been to a spa. I'm all woman, but there is a chromosome I seem to be missing;) When tomboys grow up its a weird little world out there;)

chartreuse
03-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Top fave book ever, I'm both enthralled and scared to death to see it. There are really only two ways it can come out:
Perfection
or
Complete waste of time

Here's hoping for perfection;)

I'll second that hope. It wasn't QUITE my favorite book ever, but definitely up there on the list.

The biggest mistake I think they could make would be to dumb it down for theater audiences - it was a challenge to understand exactly what was going on at first but then once you caught on it was easy enough to follow. I can unfortunately see them trying to simplify the plot out of fear that it will be too convuluted for your "average" moviegoer.

maestrowork
03-19-2008, 10:17 PM
I think once they effectively establish and convince the audiences that Henry and Clare's chronological lives vs. their random chronological "crossing," things will be fine. I think that's the major challenge, to keep us involved with Henry and Clare in "real time" and work the time jumps into the story (as flashbacks, perhaps?).

Needless to say, I'm VERY interested in reading the screenplay.

katiemac
03-24-2008, 09:24 PM

I don't recall that they were going to actually play the couple, but their production company purchased the film rights. I suspect the split is what took the film so long to get rolling, since I heard the inital buzz about it a few years ago.

Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams is great casting. If they can pull it off, this might be one place where I like the film better than the book. I thought it was an interesting premise but something about the book fell flat.

maestrowork
03-24-2008, 11:02 PM
I would have liked it that they cast Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams again for this.. I do think Gosling could do Henry justice (and they can just age him to his 40s by the end of the film).