• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Using names of songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
I can't find a thread on this so I'm sorry if there is one.

If I use a sentence like "The Beatles were belting out Twist and Shout on the radio, do I italicize the song name? Also, do I have to use a bibliography or something if I use little factoids that are fairly common knowledge, like blurbs about a specific Civil War general or something like that?

I just don't know these things since I've never done them before. Thanks for any comments.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Names and titles are fine. Lyrics, however, need permission. Titles are italicized. And you don't need bibliography for fiction.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
AP Style: Use quotes around a song title. Capitalize all words over four letters and the prepositions if they are on the beginning and end. However, your eventual publisher might differ with this style. Go with the publisher's, since you're taking his check. :)

If your 'factoid' is common knowledge (i.e., it does not require attribution), then you're fine, esp. if this is a work of fiction. :) You're making it up. You can add a forward or something that might say where you drew your facts from. However, that's your call. For nonfiction, I'd think it's a must. But, based on your post, sounds like a fiction piece.

You're going to do fine. Just write it down and make the corrections in the editing phases. ;)

Last edited:

taloom

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
The standard is album titles are in italics, songs in quotes. Thus:

Joe was listening to "Money" from The Dark Side Of The Moon.

But again, check with your publisher for their exact style.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And remember, of course, that text which would appear in italics in the printed book is underlined in the manuscript.

Maryn, solid on certain basics, shaky on everything else

DoctorShade

Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering, If I mention someone in my book and a TV show do I need the permission of the TV show or the person.

For example in one of my novels I mentioned Ken Jennings and Jeopardy and also Marilyn vos Savant.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering, If I mention someone in my book and a TV show do I need the permission of the TV show or the person.

No, you're free to mention public figures and commercial entities, as long as you don't say anything potentially defamatory about them.

"Ken Jennings won a bazillion dollars on 'Jeopardy'" = fine

"Ken Jennings bribed the producers of 'Jeopardy' to enable him to win a bazillion dollars" = LOOK OUT! HERE COME THE ANGRY ATTORNEYS!

DoctorShade

Registered
Reaction score
Well...In the book I am trying to demonstrate my main character's intelligence, I mention that she appeared on 200 episode of Jeopardy, shattering the former record holder who appeared on 75 episodes, Ken Jennings. Then I say that her IQ is much higher than the former record holder Marilyn vos Savant.

I'm not even sure if I can write such as character this story is still in prelimary stages I only have about 10 pages written for it.

And wait! How come family guy can get away with it! they slander everyone :D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
And wait! How come family guy can get away with it! they slander everyone :D

Satire is different.

But you can do anything as long as you're not trying defame anyone. Saying your character beat Ken Jennings at Jeopardy or is smarter than Einstein is fine. Saying Ken Jennings has an IQ of 75 is not.

DoctorShade

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I understand. So I think I am fine. I did not make anything up about either Ken Jen, MvS, or J! other than to reference them.

Daehota

Registered
Reaction score
The standard is album titles are in italics, songs in quotes. Thus:

Joe was listening to "Money" from The Dark Side Of The Moon.

But again, check with your publisher for their exact style.

That's really good information, taloom. I have been writing for a long time, but that's a little detail I wouldn't have known. If it came up in my work, I probably would have been paging through old Stephen King novels to see what he did. Or maybe do what our original poster did, and come ask fellow AWers.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.