Nice rejections are a mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Now don't get me wrong. When I e-query an agent, I'm grateful when that agent is nice enough to respond with a "no thanks"--even when their own websites warn that would-be authors should take silence as a rejection.

But some rejections are just puzzling to me. I've gotten a few "Not for me, thanks" or "No thanks" and a round of singing crickets. But today I received an e-query rejection that was short, succinct, yet rather nice.

"I'm going to pass, but it's an interesting premise and I appreciate
the look."

I assume something about the five-page sample and the synopsis within the query made her pass. Fair enough. But when they say things like "interesting premise" I have to wonder what exactly it was. I mean, you're rejecting my query so there's no pressure to say something nice, unless of course you mean it, right? Or if she was just saying "interesting premise" to be kind. Or if she meant "interesting" like I do when I tell my four-year-old cousin it's "interesting" that she pours three different sodas into one cup and then stirs it with a pixie stix.

I'm not really depressed. I know my story's not going to appeal to every agent (hell, so far, it hasn't even appealed to nearly a quarter of the agents I've queried). But I'm curious. Do you think it was just a kind form-type response? What are some of your kind query rejects?

Last edited:

Viral

Incoherant author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shiresu.net
Sure, why not.

Let me begin by thanking you for the opportunity to review your submission, Regnum Resurrection Uro. It is evident that you have invested a great deal of time and effort developing your work.

Regrettably, after review and much discussion by our staff, we have concluded that your submission is not the right fit for us.

Thank you for your query. Unfortunately, REGNUM RESURRECTION is too short for the publishers that we work with. I wish you all the best in finding enthusiastic representation and thank you for thinking of me.

giusti

Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps, in some cases, they're viewing you as a potential author for the future. If something just isn't right for the publication in that submission, perhaps they see skill in the writing, and with different subject matter, length, or style, they might accept it. Or they could just be lazy. There's always that.

-giusti

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: well, yeah, of course. she definitely thought the premise was interesting. she was interested enough in it to ask for a partial, right? so, she meant it. don't beat yourself up over it-it'll happen. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
yeah...no mystery...just another way of saying the same thing. Good luck with your next one.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes when I'm at the bookstore I see a book that looks interesting, but then I see another book that looks more interesting, and I buy that one. It's all subjective, but I don't think there's an insult there.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
"I'm going to pass, but it's an interesting premise and I appreciate
the look."

Just another meaningless form rejection. Another variant is "...while I found your concept intriguing..."

Toss it and move on.

donut

fame-seeking floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
telepathicparanoia.com
I don't think it's a form -- I think she probably meant exactly what she said: it's an interesting premise. In this case, since she didn't ask for more, you can probably read between the lines and assume that the prose-style didn't do it for her. But I know your prose has struck a chord with other agents, so it's obviously just a matter of taste.

Abbey

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to tell you this, but it's a form. I've rec'd several just like this. Keep on Q-ing. Good luck!

Spiral Stairs

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think such responses are necessarily forms. (At least that's what I tell myself.) Without more information, we just don't know if the agent hit "Rejection Macro A" or actually typed "interesting premise" into the e-mail. As others said, you have no choice but to move on, but I'd give myself the freedom to take it as a compliment along the way.

I've only done one round of queries for my (only) finished manuscript, and it produced only one request for a full. I got a pseudo-nice rejection on that full. It was a pretty detailed paragraph praising my premise but indicating that the ending wasn't intense enough. I wrote back to thank her for her time and, in a tone intended to be self-deprecating, said something like "At least you made it to the end!" I was kind of hoping she'd write back and say, "Why yes, it was good enough for me to keep reading! I hope you'll send me more work!"

Nuthin'. Radio silence. In the heightened state of sensitivity that querying puts me in, the silence stung like hell. Still, I'd rather have the "nice" rejection than the alternative. (Of which I got a lot.)

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
No, it was a rejection to my query.

:Hug2: well, yeah, of course. she definitely thought the premise was interesting. she was interested enough in it to ask for a partial, right? so, she meant it. don't beat yourself up over it-it'll happen. :)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* You'll get it there :)

But, yes, I think it may be a form.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Try not to read too much between the lines. Sometimes blank space is really all that's there. If she had wanted to be more specific, she would have been. If you try to interpret, you can spend too much valuable time that would be better put to use in writing and marketing endeavors.

The only time I get excited about a query is if the respondent is very detailed, like, "We really liked this but just bought something similar. Please try us again with something else." A general, "Neat concept, but no thanks" isn't worth my analysis time.

Status
Not open for further replies.