• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to figure out my novel's audience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. I am a big reader (everything literary and non-fiction, but not so much fantasy/SF) and have been writing since I was a child. I am now in my 20s and writing my first real novel, meaning: the first novelistic project that actually went beyond 60 pages and that I absolutely, unconditionally intend to finish because the story grips me to the soul since I have been brewing it in my head for the last 5 years. I have been writing for a year now but with a 4 months hiatus in the Fall due to studies that have now ended. I can now concentrate on this writing business for the rest of my life (while working full-time)!

Since I have a specific question to ask, I will try to put out the synopsis of my novel for you: the main character is an adolescent girl who is sent to live out-of-town with her extended family. She is sent there because she had problems in school and has to change school. In her new town, she discovers two friends, one male the other female, with their own stories of why they were sent to this school which is itself very peculiar, much like an alternative underground educational establishment.

She also meets the locals who have very special stories to recount about the town and my main character's family which harbors a secret about one of its member. As she discovers more on that family member, my protagonist goes on a search for more family stories across town and discovers a keepsake that was left after the family member disappeared.

She goes to search for her relative and to find her own mission in life that was revealed when she found the keepsake. She discovers more about the significance of the keepsake, more about her relative's special relationship to herself and also that she has to abandon childhood behind in order to achieve something of value. She also has to forsake love in the process.

The novel is about how to grow up odd and broken and still become someone good, how mentorship can help us become who we are, how family secrets can break us or make us grow, how we must part with childhood at some point and how nature transforms our outlook on life and our place on this planet.

Ooof...

My question: I am not sure if my novel is adolescent literature or adult literature. The main protagonist and two secondary characters are adolescents. There are adolescent themes involved. However, some issues are more existential and deal with the end of childhood, being accomplished as an adult as well as having certain adult characters being developed. The writing is definitely of literary quality, almost flowery but not arrogant.

Obviously, knowing which audience my novel is for will be important when I query. How do I figure it out?

Thanks,

Julia

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
From the plot, it could go either way. On the one hand, Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl was an adult novel on a somewhat similar topic about a young woman in her teens; on the other hand, The Abundance of Katherines by John Green was a YA novel on a somewhat similar topic about a male teenager.

So I'd probably make the decision on the basis of length and diction.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
The audience has nothing to do with how old the characters in your novel are.

In my opinion, your audience has to do with your use of language (how advanced is the dialogue? how simple is your word usage? how old is the THEME of your book? etc.).

Oasilhael

Registered
Reaction score
I agree - the characters could be eighty-two years old and still the novel could be geared toward young readers (well, ok, not always...but its possible). Do some scientific inquiry. Give people of different age groups your novel and see which age group enjoys the plot/theme/style the most. Ask them if they "connected" to it and really felt hooked in.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not saying you don't need to find an audience. Just stick with the idea that your audience are the people who read it.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of novels are written for adults with teen characters. I don't think it makes them YA just because the characters are young adults.
If it is a theme-based and character-driven book, then I would say you need to judge who your audience is (and therefore who to query) based on who those themes are going to speak to the most.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I would have to see a sample of the writing to be sure, but I'd say you're working on an adult literary novel. However, this doesn't mean it couldn't appeal to both audiences.

Ultimately YA or adult is a publishing and marketing decision. Sometimes it's an easy decision, sometimes not. Put up a chapter on Share Your Work and ask specifically what the AW pros think. :)

Julia

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a million for your appropriate comments. I think my novel's audience is adult if I look at the language used (researched and literary), the themes (certain realizations we usually have when we grow up to be an adult) and length (it is to be approximately 260 pages).

I can't provide an excerpt right now because the novel is being written in French. Who knows? Maybe it will be translated at some point.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Julia,

Can you check the word count of your novel with a word processor? A page has around 250 words on it, and with 260 pages, your word count will be around 65000 words, which is low for an adult novel. Publishers generally state a minimum of 80000 words for a novel. This is due to factors such as the reader's perception of value for money (more pages for what they paid).

Check the submission guidelines of the publishers you select, just to make sure you won't need to add to the novel.

Julia

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you ElaraSophia,

as a matter of fact ,where I live there is no set word limits for novels. However, novels under 120 pages might be turned down or publishers could ask the book to be beefed up by the author. Right now, from visiting bookstores, slim novels that are under 200 pages are very popular except for historical romances which are very thick at over 400 pages. I don't have an exact word count for my novel right now because I write long hand. I will transfer it on the computer during the second draft. However, based on what I have written and my outline, it should be what you said: 250 words per page for a total of about 65,000 words. And I know it's not going to be a problem.

In Quebec (where I live), the market is very small (6 million people in French, 1 million English), except if your book is bought by French-speaking and other markets overseas. It can also be translated into English for the Rest of Canada (English Canada) if it is popular locally. You simply cannot, unless you become hugely famous and other markets buy your books, make a living writing fiction in Quebec.

The reality of the local market means that there are no agents. You just query directly to a publisher. I probably don't need a software to remember whom I will be querying because there are less than 20 places I can query for my type of fiction.

It seems to me the whole business, while still being a business, is not as commercial as it is in the States. Three thousand copies sold is a best-seller, here. Publishers don't spend the kind of money american publishers spend on covers. They are often very unattractive with a white cover and some abstract painting on it! Same thing it seems in France, the book is a cultural object. In the States, it is a commercial object. So, basically, no agents, no word limits, no contract stating you have to write a serie or you're out, probably no full-time career writing only fiction, a very small market unless bought somewhere else. There are advantages and disadvantages!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ask yourself: of all the people in your circle of friends and family, who would read it? They would be a sample of your target audience.

The age of the protagonists, themes, language, story arc, etc. could have a bearing on your market, but they're not definitive.

Chances are your novel may very well have a broad market (men, women, age 15-85). Harry Potter is technically YA, but the series certainly has crossover appeal.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Julia,

The details of the Canadian market are new to me, and fascinating. I like the idea of a book as a cultural object - it's totally different to how I've thought of it before.

I'm wondering whether you'd consider submitting directly to US publishers? If they take you on, the Canadian rights could then be sold. I'm in the UK, and there are US agents on my list to query. From some of the agent blogs I've read, international clients are accepted. You could maybe look into this path.

Julia

Registered
Reaction score
I’d say, as writers, we better think of our books as cultural objects first and foremost. Don’t we want to subsist or just be read and forgotten? It’s unfortunate when publishing is commercially oriented but, there are other agents and publishers to choose from and if we are patient, I think we can find something that suits a literary orientation.

Anyone has seen the beautiful documentary “Stone Reader”? It’s about a man’s quest to find the author of one of his favourite book which is entirely forgotten.

As for my manuscript, I think I’ll have to uncover some teenage readers. I am surrounded with grown-ups! Thinking about it and rereading parts, it is entirely possible that my story is a “middle-ground” one, appealing to both late teenagers and adults.

Thank you all for your responses!

Dave.C.Robinson

... with the High Command
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daverobinsonwrites.com
Julia,

The details of the Canadian market are new to me, and fascinating. I like the idea of a book as a cultural object - it's totally different to how I've thought of it before.

I'm wondering whether you'd consider submitting directly to US publishers? If they take you on, the Canadian rights could then be sold. I'm in the UK, and there are US agents on my list to query. From some of the agent blogs I've read, international clients are accepted. You could maybe look into this path.

To be more accurate those are the details of the Quebec market which is very much its own animal. English Canada does employ agents and many writers submit directly to the US.

It never works to presume that anything in Quebec is the same as anywhere else on Earth.

Julia

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, you are entirely right. Actually, everything that happens in Quebec is completely different from anywhere else on Earth! Ah, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.