Talk show and TV airing question

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
walkingwiththemailman.com
Take something like the Oprah Winfrey show or Ellen, when a guest appears on their talk show, how much time usually transpires before that particular program airs? Is it normally the same day or do they tape several over the span of a couple days and then air them for that week- kind of like Jeopardy.

Thanks,

Austin

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
It'd depend on the actual programme format, availability of guests etc. Some of the shows I've worked on have been live, save for a few short pieces where they recorded an interview with a particular guest earlier that afternoon, as he or she wouldn't be available in the evening. Those sections are slotted in 'as live' but are actually from tapes. Others are recorded in the afternoon and broadcast that evening. One show we did, the majority of it was recorded one day, then because there was a phone-in element part of it was also broadcast live the next day. That was to give the edit suite time to cut down portions of it, bleep out swearing etc. and because it took a long time to film the actual body of the programme, pretty much all day in fact, just to get enough to then pare down to the juicy bits.

If there's any sort of competition phone-line or phone-in (especially at a premium rate, which most of them are) then nowadays they have to be live. (I have heard some stories of how they used to rig those and pre-record everything, but OFFCOM doesn't take too kindly to that these days).

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Take something like the Oprah Winfrey show or Ellen, when a guest appears on their talk show, how much time usually transpires before that particular program airs?

Usually a week or more, unless it's a special time-sensitive topic. That's for Oprah, at least.

Oprah usually tapes two shows in a day.

AustinCBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
walkingwiththemailman.com
Many thanks all.

I appreciate your helping me out with this question. It's truly a joy to know there are people willing to help out complete strangers.

All the best,

Austin