jchess
09-24-2003, 04:15 AM
Is a spammer and con artist.

Avoid him at all costs.

Jim Hess

SavannahL
09-24-2003, 07:12 AM
Well, that's succinct. :rollin

Would love to hear the details (hint, hint).

Mark
10-02-2003, 01:11 AM
Friend of mine said she made around $8,000 publishing with him last year.

XThe NavigatorX
10-02-2003, 03:35 AM
Hey Mark, what book?

capitalistwriter
10-02-2003, 08:53 AM
A warning without details is useless. A claim of having made a sale without details is equally useless.

bentbrains
04-11-2004, 12:57 AM
I agree with capitalistwriter on this one.

AnneMarble
07-12-2004, 02:40 AM
I know that most of the vanity presses offer some kind of promotional "services" -- for a fee, of course. (Before anyone jumps in to save me, no, I'm NOT signing up for one of them.)

Just how BAD are the promotional services offered by those companies?

I'm asking because today, I got a promotional e-mail (for an AuthorHouse author) through the old Prodigy romance list. That list was shut down around 1998 or 1999 (but never deleted by Prodigy) when we moved it to another provider. Stranger still, the the URL for the list no longer works. You can only join by e-mail -- via an addie that is no longer listed on the web. So either she got the address from a woefully outdated list of "promotional links" or she's hiring a truly inept company to do Internet promotions.

If the author paid for promotional services and they posted her message on the old Prodigy romance list or directed her to that list, she was screwed. :smack

James D Macdonald
07-12-2004, 02:58 AM
I have no way of knowing this. I'm just guessing. But if I were a betting man I'd bet the words "Bookman Marketing" were somewhere in that author's recent past.

vstrauss
07-12-2004, 05:14 AM
I think that a lot of these "services" are essentially worthless. Even if they're conscientious about only collecting current addresses, and make some effort at targeting them (a pretty tall assumption with most of these services), their strategies are based on the cheapest and most ineffective of promotional methods: bulk e-mails and faxes, press releases, flyers. A few try to distinguish themselves by letting you piggyback on a group ad of some kind, or by issuing a catalogue, or by providing you with bookmarks or postcards.

All these methods were ineffective before the influx of vanity POD (I know--I've tried some of them). Now that every self-pubbed author and their sister is using them, I daresay that except in cases of local interest, 99.999% of these promotional things go ignored. As a book reviewer, I get lots of spam review requests from POD- and self-pubbed authors. I'm always glad to consider a personal request, but the spam stuff I just delete.

It's not just the vanity presses. There are more and more companies and websites that exist for the sole purpose of offering this sort of "promotion"--like Bookman, which is one of the most obnoxious. I've been meaning for some time to add a section to Writer Beware about these services, but I just haven't had time.

- Victoria

AnneMarble
07-12-2004, 08:33 AM
I have no way of knowing this. I'm just guessing. But if I were a betting man I'd bet the words "Bookman Marketing" were somewhere in that author's recent past.

Oh, I remember them. !@#$ spammers. :bang

I checked out their site. Ick. One of their services includes "email marketing." (As in Email and the Detectives?) No doubt that translates to "grab addresses out of misc.writing and send them our junk."

maestrowork
07-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Anyone heard of the Jenking's Group?

lastr
09-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Why would Author's Den and Bookman team up? It almost reads more as if Bookman is leasing Ad space rather then a partnership if you go to the website listed. From an email sent by Bookman (Brien Jones)

Authorsden.com has formed a partnership with Bookman Publishing and Together we are offering unique and discounted bookselling, promotional and publishing services.
Please click on the link below to see these exciting new offers.
BookMan.AuthorsDen.com (http://BookMan.AuthorsDen.com)

James D Macdonald
09-11-2004, 12:19 PM
We've seen other folks recently announcing a "partnership" that was really only an advertising sale. Pay no attention to hype.

lastr
09-11-2004, 06:27 PM
We've seen other folks recently announcing a "partnership" that was really only an advertising sale. Exactly my concern, Jim - I was worried about someone with an AuthorsDen website believing that Bookman was the "only" way to go to get a book published and/or promoted because the sites were *partners* now and that made Bookman a good deal.

AuthorsDen calls it
It's a working and promotional partnership. BookMan has shown great interest in providing their authors more exposure and sales via the new AuthorsDen Bookstore. - as you said advertising.

Thanks Jim!

mdin
05-17-2005, 07:25 AM
I'm topping this because when I click Search I can't find anything on Bookman Marketing, and I think it's important that people find stuff on these spammers.

Lauri B
05-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Anyone heard of the Jenking's Group?

Yep (it's actually the Jenkins Group). They are a publishing/marketing company--do a lot of corporate books and book packaging and apparently do them well--and they also sponsor a book award called the IPPY. The contest used to be very well regarded (and probably still is--I'm pretty sure we still enter at least a couple of our books every year), but I recently received an email offering us the opportunity to buy our way into the goodie bags they are giving out at BEA, which just seems tacky, so I have mixed feelings about them right now. They do have a pretty good publishing newsletter, and its editor is a genuinely nice guy named Jim Barnes.

CaoPaux
05-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm topping this because when I click Search I can't find anything on Bookman Marketing, and I think it's important that people find stuff on these spammers.Whoops, I had it only as BookmanMarketing.com in the index. Will correct. Thanks! :o

ETA: Here's a couple more threads on 'em.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791

mreddin
05-19-2005, 12:08 AM
The first problem that needs to be addressed is whether all the promotional efforts in the world are going to overcome books that are overpriced, non returnable and short discounted. I suspect the effectiveness will be wasted and the majority of your marketing will be focused through online venues.

Most of the package's I've read are overpriced for the services offered. Typically the first part of the package includes press releases to major media outlets. We all know how much the media resonates at the announcement of "Local Author Pens Book" type news releases. Expertly written copy, given the slant of a news story (even for fiction) sent to targeted editors and outlets for the genre or subject will give you more milage but sadly most of these packages take the "buckshot" approach. I suspect your better off hiring a copywriter and using a company like Intermedia to develop a targeted press mailing.

Most vanity packages include 4-color postcards at an inflated price. You can get two sided, laminated postcards in quantities of thousands for a few hundred dollars. A templated, generic postcard is likely to get discarded unless compelling copywriting causes the piece to catch people's attention. It must also be said that having an attractive professional cover will help here, an obvious template from PA or others will send off the red flags.

A combination of Google Adwords, Oveture and Yahoo Groups advertising with highly targeted keywords and phrases can be an inexpensive means of driving traffic to your book site. Start a professional Blog that focuses on the niche your book is about to build traffic and word of mouth spending just the cost of monthly hosting.

I suppose the bottom line is to avoid the subsidy press packages and have something custom copywritten and uniquely focused on your book and make sure the campaign is targeted to the niches most likely to be interested in your book. Well that's my unqualified two shiny copper pieces for you.

Mike

PVish
05-19-2005, 05:48 AM
I suppose the bottom line is to avoid the subsidy press packages and have something custom copywritten and uniquely focused on your book and make sure the campaign is targeted to the niches most likely to be interested in your book.
Mike

That's the key. I've used POD three times. My niche market is so small (think the surrounding counties only) that buying a "press package" would be a waste of money. I custom write my own releases (each for a specific medium) and market to a very narrow group. Because I have a strong local readership, my first two POD books have made money within four months of my initial investment.

I just got my third POD book today. I anticipate selling 500 copies max. If I'd anticipated selling a thousand, then I'd have done complete self-publishing (as I've done once before).

POD works nicely for a specific niche market. POD won't be profitable, however, if an author buys all the bells & whistles that a POD publisher hopes to sell.

Know your market and have an established readership before you POD. Otherwise, you're wasting your money.

mdin
10-27-2005, 07:49 AM
In case anyone is interested, bookman pulled a ST trick and changed their name. They are now Airleaf http://www.airleaf.com/ Mods might want to change the title of this thread, too.

HapiSofi
10-27-2005, 06:49 PM
Bookman Marketing changed their name? No wonder I stopped getting spam from them. I've been on their hardcopy mailing list for a long time. They sell real services, but they're very expensive, and I doubt their effectiveness for most books and authors.

Bear in mind that a company like that will focus on selling you the services they offer, not the services you need.

CaoPaux
10-27-2005, 07:16 PM
Heh. I wonder if they got a clue that spamming was giving 'em a bad name? If we now get spam from AirLeaf, we'll know they didn't. :Hammer:

victoriastrauss
10-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Bookman/Airleaf's core services are built around ineffective and cheap (for them, not for the authors) techniques like press releases and spamming. They are also heavily promoting their own vanity radio and TV shows at $499 a pop for a 10-minute radio "interview" and a 15-second TV "commercial".

- Victoria

popmuze
12-15-2005, 06:04 PM
Anyone have an information about this company? They seem to be some kind of vanity publisher, but they also offer book selling services for (I think) books already in print through other publishers?

Anyway, for some reason, I now get emails from them every other day, offering to sell my book for $99.

James D. Macdonald
12-15-2005, 06:28 PM
First person experience by an author with Bookman Marketing (Airleaf's old name) here:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/002692.html#25223

Lauri B
12-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I received 5 spam emails from them on Monday alone, so I called the company and told them to cut it out. Brien emailed me back and said he's taken me off their list.

popmuze
12-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Anyone have an information about this company? They seem to be some kind of vanity publisher, but they also offer book selling services for (I think) books already in print through other publishers?

Anyway, for some reason, I now get emails from them every other day, offering to sell my book for $99.

Sorry for this post. Wonder how I missed the whole conversation going on above my head. But thanks for the information.

robertpauljuser
01-10-2006, 05:16 PM
In the last two months, I've recieved 7 letters from a company named Airleaf begging me to let them promote a story I published through Lulu. If I give them between $3,000 to $7,500, they promise to make my story a bestseller, and my name a household name. Problem is, the story in question is an 8-page short story. This company is preying on inexperianced writers trying to make a name. We need to keep each other informed about companies like Airleaf. Please read my blog below for the whole story.

http://people.lulu.com/blogs/view.php?user_id=124947

Aconite
01-10-2006, 05:38 PM
It would be worthwhile to post this on the Bewares and Background Check board.

blacbird
01-10-2006, 06:43 PM
I can go even one better than that. For the past year+ I've produced 17 old public-domain hard-to-find books via Lulu, in association with a free public literature site I run (planning a similar number this year). It's basically a fun hobby project, I made about $50 from it last year, which helps defray cost of the site. Anyhow, Airleaf must mine the Web for people having any association with POD, and they hit me up, promising to make "my" novel (Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc) a best-seller. You suppose Mark Twain could ante up the Airleaf fee for me?

Oh, and I get a mailing from them about every two months now. I haven't even opened any since that first one, so I'm not sure which other book from the list (H. Rider Haggard? Algernon Blackwood?) they want to promote.

caw.

James D. Macdonald
01-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Airleaf is the new name of Bookman Marketing (http://www.google.com/search?&q=%22bookman+marketing%22+scam). Under their old name they had a record of spamming and scamming, promising the moon in return for a pile of dollars and selling services that writers don't need under the promise of results that they couldn't deliver.

POD authors are a desperate bunch ... I suppose it works. For Airleaf.

James D. Macdonald
01-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Looks like Airleaf is back to spamming (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25066).

Birol
01-10-2006, 08:18 PM
I moved this from Novels to B&BC.

DaveKuzminski
01-10-2006, 08:35 PM
A writer on another site claimed that Bookman Marketing changed its name to Airleaf because Bookman was already in use by another publisher. Anyone have any information on whether that's even remotely true?

In fact, a Bookman site can still be found. Okay, forget that. I found a redirection at their main page. Google sent me to one of the back pages.

Airleaf is at URL http://www.airleaf.com/index.asp

victoriastrauss
01-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Possibly they changed their name to escape their reputation as a relentless spammer?

Most of the services Airleaf offers--which depend heavily on ineffective methods like press releases, spam, and vanity radio--are worthless.

- Victoria

AnneMarble
01-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Possibly they changed their name to escape their reputation as a relentless spammer?
That's the first thing I thought of. Devious minds work alike. ;) Bookman Marketing has been in the spam filters at sff.net for what seems like eons. Now, they'll have to update the filters. Again. I'm sure many other spam filters include these twits.

Also, it's possible they hope to fool new hosts into thinking they are a decent company. It seemed that every time I reported Bookman Marketing spam (and I was getting it on multiple addresses), I was reporting to a new web host. They started out on a respectable host and then had to move to another and another, and finally, they ended up with some company I had never heard of.

realitychuck
08-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Oh, I know they are a scam. I got a letter from them the other day (real postal mail, not an e-mail), talking about their new "Bowker Book Club."

Yes, they use the name "Bowker," including the paragraph, "Founded in 1872, Bowker is the biggest, most pretigious name in publishing. Bowker is also the parent company of booksinprint.com and bookwire.com, two of the five websites that will feature your book's reviews."

I note that they did NOT say that Bowker has any involvement with this Bowker Book Club, other than featuring reviews. I'd be very surprised if they have ever even heard of this.

They're offering a ten point program:

1. A telemarketing program to bookstores.
2. An e-mail campaign to 500,000 opt-in book club members
3. A comprehensive book review by Bowker.
4-6. Featured position on the home page of www.bowkerclub.com, www.airleaf.com, and www.bookatron.com (http://www.bookatron.com)
7. One 10-minute radio interview on a nationally syndicated AM/FM radio show.
8. "Bowker Book Club" stickers for all books.
9. Ten face-to-face meetings with feature film producers and directors about your book.
10. Placing your book in 10 retail stores.

Ten whole stores. I'm overwhelmed.

It only costs $3300.

And it will include more services, at no additional charge, to be announced later.

I've sent an e-mail to Bowker to see if they want to do something. I'm guessing their trademark lawyers might be a bit concerned.

CaoPaux
08-23-2006, 08:43 PM
*snort*

They're shelling out for postage? Dare we hope all the spam reports forced them into such dire straits? :D

TwentyFour
08-24-2006, 01:03 AM
LOL...look at it this way, at least it's retail stores and not a discount bin...(sarcastic wit included in this post)!

Gillhoughly
08-24-2006, 01:47 AM
They're offering a ten point program:

1. A telemarketing program to bookstores.

Oh, yeah, bookstores just LOVE telemarketing calls, same as the rest of us!

2. An e-mail campaign to 500,000 opt-in book club members

What joy! Spam I signed up for! Think we'll all hear the click when half a million people hit the delete key at the same time?

3. A comprehensive book review by Bowker.

Not like they've got any conflict of interest thing going on here, right?

4-6. Featured position on the home page of www.bowkerclub.com (http://www.bowkerclub.com), www.airleaf.com (http://www.airleaf.com), and www.bookatron.com (http://www.bookatron.com)

One of those pop-up ad things or a box thing that most people ignore anyway?

7. One 10-minute radio interview on a nationally syndicated AM/FM radio show.

Is it AM or FM?? Which show? When? "Howard Stern," yes, "Nosy Cosy Book Nook" hosted by Granny Murgatroyd airing at 3am, no, not so much.

8. "Bowker Book Club" stickers for all books.

So everyone can SEE what a dope one is by going with this bunch!

9. Ten face-to-face meetings with feature film producers and directors about your book.

:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Names, dagnabbit! Gimme NAMES! Will it be with Roger Corman, James Cameron or Steven Spielberg? Or maybe Ed Wood, Jr.? Oh, wait, he's dead. Mel Gibson--uh--no, better not. Ahh, the suspense! The suspense!!!

10. Placing your book in 10 retail stores.

Ten stores. Ten. The number ten as in 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9 followed by T-E-N, 10?

Okay, I'm clear on that now.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll::roll: :roll:

What the bleeping, bleep kind of tin pot jackbleep operation are you bleeping losers trying to put over on people? Why, you ____ ____ ____ing ____ ____s!

And yes, sadly, some poor bleep will be reaching for the plastic even as I type this.

:Shrug:

James D. Macdonald
08-24-2006, 06:39 AM
Stop me if I'm wrong, but isn't Airleaf the publisher formerly known as Bookman?

CaoPaux
08-24-2006, 07:26 PM
Yup. Funny how number and frequency of names changes correlate to the sliminess of the operation. Cause or effect, I wonder....

priceless1
09-12-2006, 12:49 AM
One of our authors was sent this email from Airleaf. At Jim's recommendation, I'm posting this here to show all their various names and scams. And, yes, I told our author to run. Quickly.
Lynn
-------------

For two years we have been working hard to get our author's books made
into movies. We have made many trips to Hollywood, so many in fact
that we opened an LA office with our partner Cinemagic!

What started it all was our Filmmakers service. We are offering that
service today, but now we have 1000 brand new producer/ director
contacts!

What we do first is design a special promotion for Producers and
Directors(called a treatment)about your book. While we write the
treatment, you can make any changes you want(no charge.)

Once you approve it, we send it to 2000 Filmmakers.

We follow up responses whatever way is necessary including visiting in
person. I personally have been to Hollywood six times in the last 9
months.

As always, you will reserve all the rights to your book.

The regular price for this unique service is $350

TODAY AND TOMORROW, THE PRICE IS JUST $199

To save over $150 on this unique service call me now at 1-800-342-6068
or email khatfield@airleaf.com!

Krystal Hatfield
Author Consultant

PS. Check out our ads this month in Oracle Magazine and Veterans
Reporter, and our new websites http://www.airleafeuro.com/ and
http://www.bowkerclub.com/

http://www.airleaf.com/

http://www.airleafclub.com/

http://www.authorsspeakout.com/

http://www.doctorauthor.com/

http://www.airleafeliteclub.com/

http://www.airleafselect.com/

http://www.thebigbooks.com/

http://www.marquisbooks.com/

http://www.bookatron.com/

http://www.signedbytheauthor.net/

http://www.airleafeuro.com/

http://www.bowkerclub.com/

http://www.brienjones.com/
--------------------------

Heitkemper
10-08-2006, 05:18 PM
Hi Everyone,

When I was I younger, I published my first book through, yes, Publish America. (sigh) I was young, and I got my first good reply so I ran with it. I soon found out that they weren't the greatest publisher out there, and that I was doing near to all of the advertising and publicity myself. This is really hard for a guy that has a full time job, and trying to start a family. However, I did manage to sell quite a few books door to door, and I was even able to get my book into two local book stores. I keep wondering if I had more time to work on selling my books, they might actually go somewhere.

So here's my question: I've run across some, what I call, book selling companies. Basically, for a price, they set up a big campaign for your book and sell it to book stores and submit it to reviewers. They also set up interviews and TV commercials. Has anyone here ever used one of these companies, and are they legit? One that actually went out of their way to contact me is www.airleaf.com (http://www.airleaf.com) Thanks for your help.

Heitkemper

LloydBrown
10-08-2006, 06:18 PM
You already know the litmus tests: does your local bookstore carry any of these books? Have you heard of any of the books on their website? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to those.

Not to mention that the outright lie on their website (we have no competition, none!), their prices are ridiculous ($500 for a website?), and the things they offer don't sell books. And they contacted you? Businesses don't generally go out of their way to attract business partners. It makes sense for them to pursue *customers.*

You're overthinking this: write another book and sell it to a real publisher. There's the magic formula.

roach
10-08-2006, 08:00 PM
There's a discussion of Airleaf here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964&highlight=airleaf).

From what I've seen of these companies their services are useless and pretty much consist of spamming.

icerose
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM
You can see my efforts and how good they did me on the thread PA Messageboard and it's quotes, or something like that. Everyone who has broken away has been stomped into the ground by none other than PA itself. Write a new book, a better book, and get published with a company that really wants you to succeed.

PVish
10-27-2006, 05:27 AM
I received the Airleaf email spam a few minutes ago. Here it is for those who want to pick it apart (and note some errors):

Our bookstore clients have asked for a bigger variety of books and we plan to deliver! That's why we're offering our Introductory Bookselling
Package at half price until Monday, October 30! You pay just $199 to
contact 2000 bookstore owners. (The regular price is $399)

Step one is featuring your book on our bookselling websites, airleaf.com
and bookatron.com. That happens the day you sign up.

What we do next is write a custom promotion about your book and then
send it directly to the owner's of 2000 independent bookstores. Youapprove the promotion, and can make any changes you want. You also help choose what part of the country and what kind of bookstores to target. We follow up all responses by mail or telephone.

We will also sell your book in our stores in Harrison, Ohio, Martinsville, and Nashville, Indiana.

As always, we will sell your book even if you publshed with another company--and we can have your book for sale on our websites TODAY!
Just give me a quick call at 1-800-342-6068!

Craig Gustafson
Author Consultant

If you don't want any more emails about selling your book just hit
<REPLY> and type "Remove."

Reporter!

Reporter, and our new websites http://www.airleafeuro.com/ and

I'm assuming that all those URLs are links to other equally scammy sites.

James D. Macdonald
11-15-2006, 11:24 PM
More Airleaf spam (fresh!)

Reach 400 Decision Makers at Traditional Royalty-Paying Publishers!
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2006 3:23 AM
To: [withheld]
Subject: Reach 400 Decision Makers at Traditional Royalty-PayingPublishers!

Selling a book to a royalty paying, traditional publisher is always along shot for unknown authors. However, Airleaf Publishing & Book
Selling Services has developed a unique list of Senior Editors at the
biggest publishing houses, and we also know how each publisher accepts
new submissions. This puts you at least two steps ahead of the
thousands of authors submitting books every week.
What we do is compose a special full-page release about your book. While
we write the promotion, you approve it and have final authority. Once
you are satisfied with the promotion we send it directly 400 Senior
Editors at Traditional Publishers. Then we follow up whatever way we
can to try to secure a contract and an advance.

If we are successful, we will not charge any commission. As always, you
will reserve all the rights to your book.
The regular price for this unique service is $499

RIGHT NOW, THE PRICE IS JUST $270

As always, we will sell your book even if you publshed with another
company--and, more importantly, we can have your book for sale on our
websites NOW! Don't miss the best time of the year to sell books. Just
give me a quick call at 1-800-342-6068!

Brien Jones
Author Consultant

If you don't want any more emails about selling your book just hit<REPLY> and type "Remove."
PS. Check out our ads this month in Oracle Magazine and VeteransReporter!
PS. Check out our ads this month in Oracle Magazine and VeteransReporter, and our new websites http://www.airleafeuro.com/ and

AnneMarble
05-09-2007, 06:06 AM
This freakin' company has been spamming me since their Bookman Marketing days. Who should I forward spam reports to? I'm particularly interested in reporting their website, http://www.airleaf.com.

SpamCop lists an IP contact, but the IP contact (choiceonecom.com), but the abuse address redirects to SpamCop. Is Choiceonecom a black hat?
:guns:

JerseyGirl1962
05-09-2007, 05:58 PM
TSpamCop lists an IP contact, but the IP contact (choiceonecom.com), but the abuse address redirects to SpamCop. Is Choiceonecom a black hat?
:guns:

It looks like choiceonecom.com merged with another company and became One Communications. I didn't see any abuse address, but their contact info is here (http://www.onecommunications.com/contact/clec-one.aspx?TierSlicer1_mtid=200&TierSlicer1_mtt=4&TierSlicer1_mid=8).

Hope that helps.

~Nancy

James D. Macdonald
06-03-2007, 05:08 PM
Do you recall when AuthorHouse was named in a libel suit (http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6335209.html&display=display), and lost?

Well, take a gander at this: http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Murder+tale+has+library+buzz ing&articleId=2718c34c-1cf3-4765-953b-4d361c7a4a64

Pride and Honor: Behind the Badge (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/1600022936/ref=nosim/madhousemanor/) by Joseph A. Horak, an Airleaf book (note the "usually ships in 4 to 6 weeks"). No one at the publisher knows enough to check for possible legal problems; the book names a person who has never been indicted for the crime as the murderer of two young women, an unsolved crime from 1973.

As the Union Leader says, "The New Hampshire Union Leader is not reporting the man's name for legal reasons."

(While you're over at Amazon, look at Horak's previous book, also from Airleaf (though it was called Bookman Marketing at the time): Justice Denied: A Detective's Dilemma (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/1594530572/ref=nosim/madhousemanor/), which was apparently about the same case. Observe the hilariously wrong Editorial Reviews:

Product Description
Let Starr take you through more than 100 wild tales gleaned from his eighty years of exploration of time and space in Texas and Mexico and other parts of the world. You wont regret it. Belly laughs a-plenty. Facts galore, as seen through the eyes of a redneck award-winning investigative reporter who is not afraid to tell it like it is, and who describes himself as a feisty old timer who can whup any man in Texas my age. These romping Treks through time and space are mainly for laughs, and it is hoped that when you return from this exploratory Trek, and have rested up from all the laughs, you will feel better about yourself, your fellow man, and the world. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

About the Author
A veteran of WWII, Bill Starr worked as a full-time teacher in Texas and Mexican public and private schools, while concurrently employed full-time as a night reporter for a daily newspaper, winning several citations and awards, among them a United Press International award for Reporting Under Pressure of Deadline. Later Starr worked as a free-lance reporter for Time Magazine and as a foreign correspondent for the San Francisco Chronicle, London Daily Mirror, and Germanys Der Stern Magazine. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.

Editorial Reviews are placed by the publishers. Wow, Bookman/Airleaf. That's great.

The Scribbler
06-03-2007, 07:12 PM
I was given a book published through Airleaf so I could review it for Tales of the Talisman Magazine, and so far I have to say it is one of the worst edited books I have ever seen. I don't even know if it was edited.

From what I understand, Airleaf is more of a self-published deal which is basically a scam anyway.

carissa007
06-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Authors, have you had to wait months for any word from this company? Remember when you were promised your promotional material within a certain amount of time? well for those of you who got tired and contacted the attorney general as soon as airleaf gets word of that they take the book in question to their writers and tell them they need SOMETHING that day because as long as they prove they did SOMETHING you have no leg to stand on. Even if it's the biggest piece of crap promo ever written. oh and they at least use to have a system called gammadyne that would mass email the promos you thought were going to places that actually wanted the promos. most of the 'bookstores and such' considered it spam and it got deleted. oh and if you think jones harvest publishing is any better. do you remember dealing with brian jones? well it's his company and he stole author info before he left airleaf. so be ware!

maryannrosser
07-27-2007, 12:34 AM
I've found a lot of information on the internet about Airleaf Publishing and a lot of slams on them and one of their prior employees. I'm writing because of something you just don't see anymore. Somebody trying to right a wrong done by someone else. Brien Jones of Jones Harvest Publishing was connected with Bookman Publishing, later, Airleaf Publishing, but I have something to share. I sent a book I'd written to Airleaf in 2005 and since then have had some serious doubts about their business practices. I asked for a partial refund of my down payment, and two, almost three months later haven't received it despite the fact that they aren't going to publish my book. I contacted Brien and discussed what to do about this. After a few calls and emails, and a general dislike for how I had been treated, agreed to publish my book for free! I'm working on putting the actual image of the letter on my website as I've had difficulty this week, but read the whole story on my website www.kinshipministries.bravehost.com Brien is attempting to right a wrong for me, and I'm asking people to judge him now based upon his own business dealings and to let his reputation stand on its own apart from Airleaf Publishing. He too is attempting to turn over a new leaf.

Dawno
07-27-2007, 12:39 AM
I've moved this thread to the appropriate forum.

Popeyesays
07-27-2007, 01:59 AM
The problem with Airleaf is that it's a vanity press. No distribution, no marketing, no sales to speak of.

How is Mr.Jones going to fix those problems?

Regards.
Scott

maryannrosser
07-28-2007, 01:24 AM
if you click on this link, you not only see what he's offering, but get the email address as well http://www.jonesharvest.com/services.htm for more information. i just think the guy deserves a chance and we should give it to him.

herdon
07-28-2007, 01:30 AM
Pretty pricey for no editing, marketing, distribution, etc. As self-publishing goes, there are better solutions. You could get your book professionally edited and done at Lulu and placed on all the same websites for cheaper.

Popeyesays
07-28-2007, 02:54 AM
if you click on this link, you not only see what he's offering, but get the email address as well http://www.jonesharvest.com/services.htm for more information. i just think the guy deserves a chance and we should give it to him.

I have no intention of giving a book to self-publication.

So from my point of view he doesn't deserve a chance with my book--any of my books.

As a self-publisher he is largely over priced. He shows not ability to market and why should I think he can edit worth a damn?

Regards.

Scott

Mac H.
07-28-2007, 08:29 AM
if you click on this link, you not only see what he's offering, but get the email address as well http://www.jonesharvest.com/services.htm for more information. i just think the guy deserves a chance and we should give it to him.This is a parody site, right?

On that page, under the title of "Why choose Jones Harvest Publishing?" is one of the answers: "No matter how bad it is, we will still publish it".

Since your book will be 'featured' on the same website that makes this claim .. that is the message you are choosing to give to all your potential readers.

Good luck,

Mac
(PS: If you feel you were badly treated at Bookman/Airleaf, then why go to a company that has the same staff?

If you look at the key members of staff ... they came from Bookman.
As you said, Bookman had lousy administration. So why go to a publisher where the administrator is ex bookman?
As you said, Bookman had non-existent distribution. So why go to a publisher where the Distribution Director is ex-bookman ?

In other words, they are the same people who treated you badly the first time!

Here's a list:
* Brien Jones, President -- Ex Bookman
* Tonya Hudson, Administrator -- Ex Bookman
* Steven Fontanna, IT Director -- Ex Bookman
* Craig Gustafson, Distribution Director -- Ex Bookman
* Linda Ockels, Author Consultant -- A Bookman author (http://www.expertclick.com/daybook/default.cfm?Action=Event&DaybookID=1457&GroupID=0) and runs 'Perfect Hearts Publishing'. ( 'Perfect Hearts Books' was a $2,700 marketting 'plan' run by AIRLEAF. (http://www.lulu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32875) )
* Gayla Swint, Promotions Director --Ex Bookman (http://www.loneprairie.net/art_blogs/artnews/2005/12/watch-out-for-airleaf-publishing.html)
* Penny Clayton,Event Coordinator -- A Bookman/Airleaf employee (http://www.authorsspeakout.com/authors.htm)
* Carey Cornett, Controller -- A Bookman editorial reviewer (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/1932301593/ref=dp_proddesc_0/105-7684863-8212450?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books)
(That last one particularly bothers me. Someone using their qualifications as a DRUG ABUSE COUNSELOR to give credibility to a book aimed at a 'how to earn money fast' for single moms ... by GAMBLING at CRAPS seems simply unethical.

(PPS: Why would Brien Jones want to run a publisher at all? While he was at Bookman there was another craps book which claimed "Here is a safe, legitimate way to get the money you need with tremendous rewards. Even if you've never played the game before, you can master this proven winning strategy in just a few days! All Cash Tax Free Replace lost income with the casino's money". Mr Brien Jones stated "I did everything by the book and believe me it works!" Brien Jones, Divorced Dad.

There are two possibilities:
1. Mr Brien Jones is rich from casino's money, and has no need for his publishing business.
2. Mr Brien Jones is a LIAR and cannot be trusted.

I hope Brien Jones comes to this site to tell us which is true.)

(PPPS: If want to use Jones Harvest because you want to self-publish but don't want to do your own cover design (since that is what they are doing) then the production manager of Jones Harvest has his own company ... offering almost identical services for about half the price ! He also seems to have the benefit of NOT being associated with Bookman)

(PPPPS: The website also mentions a book about 'a true story that has become known world-wide as a first in medical history. Through prayer and her faith in God, Linda and later doctors were convinced that she could have her permanent pacemaker removed.' A quick google shows that the pacemaker removal was done on December 9, 1999. It might make a good story, but it was certainly NOT a world first. At least two years before this 'world first' there was a study published of PREVIOUS patients who had their permanent pacemakers removed. (Some also had the leads removed too - although it is a longer surgery for little benefit) Ref: http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/126/10/787

The moral of the story: Doctors sometimes say 'no-one else is doing this' when they don't want to do it. If they'd searched the literature, they would have found plenty of previous cases)

victoriastrauss
07-28-2007, 07:39 PM
It's my impression that Brien Jones was with AuthorHouse before founding Bookman, a.k.a. Airleaf. So he has a history of leaving one startup for another.

- Victoria

James D. Macdonald
07-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Even if a POD/vanity charges no money up front, all it's doing is using the author-mill model.

The author will still wind up spending plenty. See the ten thousand posts about PublishAmerica for more details.

priceless1
07-28-2007, 07:56 PM
It's my impression that Brien Jones was with AuthorHouse before founding Bookman, a.k.a. Airleaf. So he has a history of leaving one startup for another.
- Victoria
You know what made me sad? Seeing all the people standing at the AuthorHouse booth at the BEA. I wanted to dust all those interested writers with Vanity Bug Repellent. What does anyone hope to gain by going with a company, such as Jones Harvest Publishing, who proudly claims that they'll:

Care - We will read your book and make suggestions. (Unless you prefer us not to)

At Jones Harvest Publishing WE WILL READ YOUR BOOK and tell you what we think. (However, no matter how bad it is, we will still publish it. No matter how good it is, you still have to pay our fees.)
I realize that most reading their website won't recognize themselves in these revealing statements of "no matter how bad it is," but this is a blatant admission that only the worst seek this company out. The desire to be published is strong, and this is why vanity presses exist. They're bottom feeders preying on the unschooled and desperate.

maryannrosser
07-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Well, I certainly hope my book won't be considered "bad" simply because I chose Brien to publish. Since I wasn't there, I won't assume anything. I'm simply going to trust that his heart is in the right place on this and give him a chance.

priceless1
07-28-2007, 08:37 PM
Well, I certainly hope my book won't be considered "bad" simply because I chose Brien to publish. Since I wasn't there, I won't assume anything. I'm simply going to trust that his heart is in the right place on this and give him a chance.
I hope your book won't be considered bad, either. I wish you all the very best. But do you really believe this man's heart is in the right place and is really giving you a chance, or is he fattening his bank account?

Publishing isn't a benevolent business, and the notion of giving someone a chance is lovely but it's a fantasy. It's all about making money. Publishers make money by selling books to buyers that stock their books on the shelves of stores. Vanity presses make money by lightening your wallet. No assumption is required, those are the facts.

maryannrosser
07-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Well, let me put it this way. I'm a Christian. My father was a pastor for 40 years. I'm building a para-church ministry which includes music ministry, Faith Community Health Ministries (free clinics/education/diet & exercise -connecting the physical and spiritual into holistic wellness) and a witnessing/discipling and mentoring program. I wasn't always working for God. For 13 years I did anything and everything I could to avoid church and God as I delved deep into sin. So when it came down to a serious crisis forcing me to turn back to God for help, for restoration, I found Him waiting for me with arms wide open. He gladly forgave EVERYTHING I did and gave me another chance. The thing is, He knows me. He knows all I've done and yet He wanted me to have a fresh start. While I haven't done this perfectly, I have done my best, righting whatever wrong I did along the way. I have disappointed God, sinned, and been rebellious, but He still feels I'm worth a try, a chance, and gives me opportunity after opportunity despite my faults and failing. You ask if I think "this man's heart is in the right place and is really giving you a chance?" I can't judge him because only God knows his heart, motives. But...How can I accept God's forgiveness and second-chances for all the things I've done and be so judgmental I refuse to grant others a second chance with me? I can't. If someone does me wrong, and takes advantage, they will have to answer to the Creator, the Great Judge. I press on and choose to trust. God can change anyone who so chooses. I'm thankful for that grace and mercy.

Popeyesays
07-31-2007, 01:23 AM
Dear Mayanne;

A faith-based decision like yours is fine. If you are not taking the money Paul to pay Peter for the service.

As a business decision it is not so sound.

When your dream of selling the book in large numbers crashes, you'll have a valuable lesson in business. I hope it does not affect your faith.

You might make back your money selling the book from the lobby of churches, you might not.

Regards,
Scott

BarbJ
07-31-2007, 01:30 AM
Maybe this portion should be transferred to the Christian thread, but I'm going to answer. We aren't called on to judge hearts; we aren't granted that ability. We are called on to judge deeds and sins, since we can't avoid them if we don't judge whether or not they're sins. If this company is cheating others, my personal take is that we are not to support and encourage them in it. Are you trusting God or casting pearls before swine? How far are you scattering your seeds by using this company? Are you placing your light under a basket through your own will?

Not trying to be mean, just trying to as realistic as Jesus. He never said we should trust humans blindly. I am your sister. :Hug2:

Lauri B
07-31-2007, 04:06 AM
I vote for transferring conversations about basing business decisions on religious beliefs to some other forum. This is definitely not the place to discuss sins, God, or any other religious stuff.

herdon
07-31-2007, 04:12 AM
I would be against moving the response unless they move every response that is not specific to the agency/publisher's merits.

Obviously, they should make sure the discussion doesn't get off topic and go into a religious debate, but barring that her reason for going with the publisher is her reason. Would we move someone who went with a publisher because they liked kittens? Do we need a kitten forum to move it to?

Lauri B
07-31-2007, 04:28 AM
Havlen, good point. I should have said that I vote for transferring religious debates (should they arise) to another forum. You're right: a reason for going with a publisher is a reason.

maryannrosser
07-31-2007, 05:21 PM
I had to laugh at the kitten analogy, that was definitely funny.

No, I'm not bringing in a religious debate; simply pointing out that I've made some serious mistakes that if my friends, family, co-workers held them against me I'd be friendless.

I appreciate all the great feedback. I'm not trying to make a bunch of money with my book. Honestly, I see it as something that mostly women would appreciate as there are issues discussed in it which are specific to women such as abuse (brief), raising children, and husband.

My take on it is that if it helps just one person it was worth it. I don't expect to see it on any mass market level. After all, I'm a new author and by the standards of others (including you folks) it will probably sound pretty "green." It's just something I've dreamed about accomplishing, just as making a CD which has been done. My first CD is very "green" but at least I had the courage to try. I know that I can sing better than what's on the CD, and that the style is not my own. But, in this process of learning and growing I hope both my writing and my singing will improve as I try to somehow make a difference for the better in the lives of others.

Just so you know, Brien isn't charging me except for additional books.

BarbJ
07-31-2007, 07:06 PM
"Would we move someone who went with a publisher because they liked kittens? Do we need a kitten forum to move it to?"

Yes! Completely off-subject here! Let's start a kitty forum! :D

herdon
07-31-2007, 07:19 PM
The problem with making a kitty forum is all the puppies would cry prejudice and demand their own forum, and then all the rabbits would complain, and so on. Where does it stop???

And, look here, we've already drawn off topic and into kitten-talk. This is exactly the danger of mentioning kittens on a thread.

AnneMarble
07-31-2007, 10:24 PM
And, look here, we've already drawn off topic and into kitten-talk. This is exactly the danger of mentioning kittens on a thread.
To keep this thread on topic (no offense to the kittens :D)... I got yet more spam from Airleaf last night. So they're still spamming me, even though I've reported them to their (various) ISPs multiple times. They do keep moving to different ISPs, I guess when the complaints get too numerous.

Here's what SpamCop says about their URL:
Parsing input: http://www.airleaf.com/
Host www.airleaf.com (checking ip) = 63.131.14.152
host 63.131.14.152 (getting name) no name

Reporting addresses:
abuse-spamcop@choiceonecom.com (abuse-spamcop@choiceonecom.com)

Who should I be forwarding the spam to? I have been forwarding the spam not only to their ISP's abuse address but to their legal contact address, but I haven't even gotten a response. It just keeps coming. Are there "magical keywords" I should include to make the garbage stop coming?

JulieB
08-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Also forward to spam@uce.gov. That won't stop the spam, but will report it to the feds. If they get enough complaints they may act.

Here's some other information. That IP address resolves to theallenagency.net, which is registered to (ta da!) Airleaf! (Please, at least feign a look of shock and surprise. It's been a long day.)

This is their hosting service (http://www.certifiedit.com/). I don't know if they have an anti-spam policy, but try reporting to them.

jamiehall
11-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Some useful updates: The Writer Beware Blog's Airleaf Update (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2007/11/victoria-strauss-airleaf-update.html) and Airleaf Victims Fight Back (http://www.airleafvictims.com/).

JerseyGirl1962
11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Just checked out the Fight Back site...it truly is astounding and heartbreaking. One guy put up $10,000, someone else, $4,000...the mind truly boggles.

I hope Airleaf gets smacked down. :rant:

~Nancy

AnneMarble
11-05-2007, 09:55 PM
Just checked out the Fight Back site...it truly is astounding and heartbreaking. One guy put up $10,000, someone else, $4,000...the mind truly boggles.
Jeez. Getting spammed by them for several years no longer seems so bad (as annoying as it is). (I even have some old spam reports saved up, going back several ISPs. :tongue)

I hope Airleaf gets smacked down. :rant:

Me, too. Grr.

DaveKuzminski
12-22-2007, 04:59 AM
The new PODdy Mouth (https://poddymouth.wordpress.com/)is reporting that Airleaf is out of business. This is confirmed by Airleaf Victims.

If you have any documentation, don't throw it away. The Airleaf Victims are not letting this drop without legal action. Even if you don't need it, they might, so hang onto what you have and please be willing to share should they need more documentation to present as evidence.

AnneMarble
12-22-2007, 08:57 AM
The new PODdy Mouth (https://poddymouth.wordpress.com/)is reporting that Airleaf is out of business. This is confirmed by Airleaf Victims.
:hooray:
No more Airleaf spam!
:partyguy:

If you have any documentation, don't throw it away. The Airleaf Victims are not letting this drop without legal action. Even if you don't need it, they might, so hang onto what you have and please be willing to share should they need more documentation to present as evidence.
All I have is some old copies of spam reports. :) I was never ripped off by them, I just ended up on their neverending lists. Sigh.

DaveKuzminski
12-22-2007, 08:45 PM
:hooray:
No more Airleaf spam!
:partyguy:

All I have is some old copies of spam reports. :) I was never ripped off by them, I just ended up on their neverending lists. Sigh.

There are laws against spamming. Even copies of that could prove useful.

JerseyGirl1962
12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Thank goodness a crap "publisher" has bitten the dust. (Now if only PA would do the same...)

I hope the victims manage to get something out of this.

~Nancy

JulieB
05-10-2008, 03:38 AM
The state of Indiana is suing Airleaf for accepting payments and not following through with services. The story at PW (http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6559413.html?rssid=192).

Ms.Termite
05-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Just picked up this link today....a must read I think....

http://airleafvictims.blogspot.com/

"It was very interesting to see how many people were solicited by Airleaf with letters that said, "We Want Your Book (Name of Book) in Airports All Over America!" The salesmanship was incredible. For those of us who are trusting and nave, it's easy to see how we could be fooled into believing that this could happen. Airleaf gave the illusion of hit books being sold in book stores....."

victoriastrauss
05-13-2008, 01:31 AM
I just posted about the Airleaf lawsuit (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2008/05/victoria-strauss-victory-for-airleaf.html#links) at the Writer Beware blog.

- Victoria

CaoPaux
09-21-2009, 07:28 PM
The results of the suit: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/09/victoria-strauss-airleaf-coda.html

JL_Benet
10-14-2011, 12:58 AM
http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writers_life/2011/10/the-wit-and-wisdom-of-brien-jones.html#comments
http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2009/01/victoria-strauss-jones-harvest.html
http://www.bbb.org/indy/Business-Reviews/publishers-book/jones-harvest-publishing-in-bloomington-in-18002260/
http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2008/06/victoria-strauss-airleaf-deja-vu-jones.html
http://jonesharvestfraudvictims.com/

CaoPaux
10-14-2011, 01:51 AM
Heh. Summary: the honeymoon's over for Jones Harvest Publishing. More info at http://leegoldberg.typepad.com/a_writers_life/2011/10/it-appears-that-jones-harvest-publishers-the-vanity-press-run-by-huckster-brien-jones-has-finally-slithered-under-a-rock-an.html