Another Writing Weakness Discovered...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings Fellow Scribers,

Gee, I just realized why my fiction isn't as powerful as it can be. My characters are usually paper-thin because I've been "creating" them instead of borrowing attributes from real-life folks. I guess I've always been afraid of being found out, of libel, you name it, afraid. No bold steps taken because I was writing on shaky ground. Now I realize that I can mix things up, switch up character descriptions and personailites. But the key is to start with A REAL LIVE HUMAN BEING!!

This may seem elementary to most of you, but it's amazing how you can go about something for so long without realizing what's blocking you. Just wanted to share in case you're dealing with the same fear. Happy writing to all. :Sun:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
It's fun starting with real live human beings. I once read an article about a couple of very bizaare twins that lived in the UK. I kept the clipping and they morphed into a pair of suspected witches in my medieval novel. I felt like I could look into their eyes and facial expressions and see who they were. Pretty cool.
Linnea

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Although my characters kind of start out as a basic paper doll, I add attributes as the story goes along. I borrow habits, quirks, expressions, physicalities, and personalities from people around me. By midway through, the characters have become real. Then I'll go back and build on the character earlier on in the story.

The population of the whole world around us gives us everything we need to create
characters.

allen

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Well said to both of you!

Interestingly enough, the protagonist for my young adult novel was a one-dimensional mess until my agent started putting demands on me. I had the nerve to question him (politely) at first, but then I finally saw the light. I thought I'd be giving too much if I tried to look into my character's past life, but oh man, my book is 10000% better thanks to him. By the time my editor got the book, I only needed to tweak. :poke:

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Birol,

So you have no fear of them recognizing themselves? Yikes! Be prepared!:e2fight:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
No. They're not real people in the sense that I'm using flesh-and-blood people. They're real people in that I no longer "create" them. They come to me fully formed, talking about their pasts and their problems, etc. It's just a matter of getting to know them.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I have to say I have based some characters on real people I know, but just for fun - and the people always know that they are in my stories.

I'm with Birol on this one, usually my characters are made up, but are pretty fully fleshed out. I can't quite understand how one could write a character otherwise. Maybe it comes from my acting background, but I can't write a scene unless I understand the complex motivations behind each individual. Heck one of my favourite things is having the tiny secondary characters have full histories and unique personalities, you never really get to know them in the book, but I know . . . Actually maybe it has less to do with being an actress and more to do with my having a god complex . . .

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Ooh! Just remembered a fun game that might help you with fleshing out original characters and not stealing already existing characteristics (which is totally cool, but only one of many ways to create interesting three dimensional characters).

Whenever I am waiting for someone in a public place I like to people watch. What I sometimes like to do, is cast certain people as different characters, so like I'll see one person and think, "He's a monk. But he's secretly having an affair with his sister's best friend, and now is questioning his faith . . . " etc etc. Often I like to cast them in period pieces - "He's the land owner of some the most fertile property in southern England. Though he's strict, his tenants adore him because he is just and fair. His son in law though is an evil man, trying to convince him to sell off all his property . . ." etc etc.

I dunno. It's fun. And gives you something to do when your friend is late meeting you.

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah Toothpaste, you'd be surprised how one can create without a clear idea of character. Just ask me.

I really don't know how I came to be a writer with all of the resistant rules I have. I just write and somehow it works. But going forward, I'll have no fear. Folks will be put on Front Street! Of course I'll use tact.

By the way, guess how I discovered this flaw. My Mom brought over my junior high year book, and all of these young adult memories came flooding back. Real personalities from the past. And I thought, gee Star, why not use these memories to add flesh and life to my characters? I can't believe I wrote a whole young adult novel without TRULY delving into my past. Beats me to this day. But now that I know what to do, watch out world, I'm busting through! :snoopy:

Star

So cool I am
Registered
Reaction score
How generous and funny of you toothpaste!

Generous, because you're trying to help a writer out. Funny, because I have a friend who is ALWAYS late, so I'll have plenty of time to brush up on my craft. hehe

Thanks again. :Hug2:

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I have to say I have based some characters on real people I know, but just for fun - and the people always know that they are in my stories.

I've based a few on real people. But unless they're minor characters, they've ended up doing something totally out of the blue to remind me that "no, I'm not Paula, I'm Elly."

Status
Not open for further replies.