PDA

View Full Version : 1904 Train Travel time?

johnnysannie
03-18-2008, 08:41 PM
For my WIP, I need an idea of how long a passenger train would have taken in 1904 to travel about 200 miles, one way. I know it would be much longer than now but I really have no idea and so far haven't been able to find any source that can provide the information.

So I need help from any railroad enthusiasts!!

Thanks in advance, guys.

Sarpedon
03-18-2008, 08:46 PM
What country? Why don't you give the starting and stopping places so we can get an idea of how many stops there will be on the way.

johnnysannie
03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
What country? Why don't you give the starting and stopping places so we can get an idea of how many stops there will be on the way.

:eek: I intended to include that info and didn't.

This is within the US, in Missouri, between Kansas City and a small town that is about 200 miles south. The tracks today are on the same basic route as then and the rail line is Kansas City Southern, which it had become by 1904.

I did find a vintage map of the railroad from that era and there were many stops, mostly at small towns. The info I did find indicated about 7 crossings and 13 stations or stops.

IceCreamEmpress
03-18-2008, 08:59 PM
You should be able to find an actual timetable from the era on a railroad enthusiasts' site.

Maybe contact the person who runs this site (http://piedmontdivision.rymocs.com/history.htm) for leads?

tallus83
03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Start by doing a Google of '1904 Train Timetables'.

Is the train a local, making all stops, or an express with limited stops?

If the station you are going to is small, or minor, then only a local will stop there.

An express would probably be in the range of 30-40 mph, possibly as high as 50-60 mph, on a Class 1 track. Branch lines would have a slower express speed.

Locals usually operated in the 20-30 mph range due to the frequent stops.

Richard White
03-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Now you've gotten me curious about what town it's going to stop at.

(Being a native Missourian and all)