Status
Not open for further replies.

William Cook

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm writing a series based around the Monmouth Rebellion and the Glorious Revolution when William Duke of Orange ousted James11 - One of the lovely things about the Internet is having wikipedia so close to hand for historical correctness. I suppose all of you use it?

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I might use it as a starting point, or to jog my memory for something I already know (date or other factoid). But while studies show that Wikipedia is about as accurate overall as Encyclopedia Britannica, there's always the chance that an uncorrected error has been posted. So I wouldn't use it as my only, or even my primary source.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't write historical fiction any more but I am still studying history and use Wikipedia occasionally to check dates or small details (I don't admit to this in the bibliography though ;) ). I'd agree with Marlys - when I'm researching a topic, it's a good place to start to get an idea of what to research in depth. It's also quite good for its 'external links' sections a lot of the time. I did a lot of work once on extinct European languages and found a lot of dictionary sites, that sort of thing from those links.

Pup

Registered
Reaction score
I might use it as a starting point, or to jog my memory for something I already know (date or other factoid). But while studies show that Wikipedia is about as accurate overall as Encyclopedia Britannica, there's always the chance that an uncorrected error has been posted. So I wouldn't use it as my only, or even my primary source.

I'm about the same. Generally, I don't find encyclopedia-style secondary sources that useful, except for double-checking, or making sure I haven't missed something obvious. For my period (19th century), Google Books restricted by date is much more useful, as well as similar collections of primary source material online like Making of America, Documenting the American South, etc.

Good example just this morning. The topic of food adulterations came up. I remembered there was an English doctor who brought the topic to notice in the 1850s, and interest expanded and spread through the 1860s. Originally, I'd found that out because I noticed articles on food adulteration when reading period magazines and newspapers, and noticed that most traced back to the same doctor as their inspiration.

But I couldn't remember his name. So I searched on Google Books for "food adulerations" restricted to pre-1870, and recognized the name of Arthur Hill Hassall, who was listed as an author of an 1855 book that was online. His book itself would have been the first stop for specific information on poisonous substances found in a particular food. However, in this case, I was more interested in the trend itself, and though there were a few earlier books on the topic, I wanted to make sure that Hassall was indeed a major figure in this field.

So I put his name in a regular Google search, saw a Wikipedia entry, clicked on that, and confirmed, "In the early 1850s he also studied food adulteration; his reports were published in The Lancet by reformer Thomas Wakley and led directly to the 1860 Food Adulteration Act and subsequent further legislation against the practice."

The Wikipedia entry was useful to indicate that I had the right fellow and that I hadn't missed anything obvious, but to find out that food adulteration was a topic of interest in the 1860s in the U.S. in the first place, despite no significant legislation occurring here until later, isn't something that one could easily come across in Wikipedia, compared to primary sources.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Please -- James II, not James11. :)

I think Wikipedia is fine as a casual history resource, since these entries aren't usually subject to malicious partisan views.

For British history I also tend to swing by the BBC's History pages: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/

-Derek

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The only reason I really check wikipedia at all is because it's one of the few sites not blocked by my job for me to do a quick double-check at lunch. I don't tend to trust things on the web in general, especially when most anyone who wants to can slop something up onto the internet and call it "fact". I also don't like Wiki because I have gone back 20 minutes later to the same article and found it completely changed. Just don't trust it.

It can be a great launching point for more research, but it doesn't stand as a research source in itself, IMHO.

tallus83

Registered
Reaction score
For general info only.

For in-depth or detailed information I will go to specific websites.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Wikipedia is a good place to go to get information on which primary sources to use for resources.

The guy who created it has even said, "If you cite Wikipedia as a source, people will laugh at you."

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Being a...

crusty old trout re references I find the internet very poor. It's a good place when you're working on the computer and want a quick general scan of something and there original sources on line, but you have to find out who put them there and why.

There are a few disinterested groups with some good original sources but Wikipedia is not one.

And there are far better book sources for your period than the internet, written by historians with knowledge.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
And, if you ever find anything wrong (or undesirable) on Wiki, it's interesting to try to get it corrected. There really isn't "ownership" of the articles as there should be. I'm also amazed by how many articles say "need someone to write about". Kind of scary. Puma

Craig Gosse

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
No.

No is an English word indicating rejection, disagreement, refusal or making a negative response or exclamation. It is the opposite of yes.

Several programs aimed at children advocate the refusal skill of "saying no" in regard to high-risk behaviors, violence, drug, or sexual matters. For example the American television advertising campaign Just Say No in the 1980s aimed at spreading awareness about saying "no" to recreational drug use, violence, premarital sex, and other vices.
Contents:

* 1 Syntax
* 2 Political no's
* 3 Saying no in the arts
* 4 See also
* 5 References

.... (*Grin*)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I am very leery of anything on Wikipedia. I'm not saying things on the web in general are good resources, especially considering they had to be put in by human hands for the most part and human error could be quite detrimental. What I tend to do is a Google search or an Amazon.com search for possible books/magazines and go from there.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Besides being a good starting point it works well as a supplement to more standard resources. Personally, I use my book collection (I go a little crazy and like to buy the books on the period & read them which is an expensive habit), EB online, and also Wikipedia. The book collection always controls, but if there is any gap in the historical narrative which Wiki fills, then I see no problem using it as a primary source.

We're writing historical FICTION here. The purpose is drama and entertaining the reader.

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
Ah, well now there's a debate waiting to break out again...

*reaches for the popcorn*

LOL.

Didn't mean to be controversial in anyway or strum up old debates.

We all want to be enlightening, thought provoking, provocative, etc., but we are storytellers and the job of the storyteller is to entertain. I'm using the term "entertain" to mean keep the reader engaged by not only what is being told but how it's being told.

As fans of historical fiction we should all appreciate that the traditional role of storytellers is to entertain, whether it was recitations in ancient Greece, the plays of the Middle Ages, or the great novels of the 19th century.

giusti

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I think that Wiki is about as reliable as anything else you're going to find out there. I mean, even when you talk to experts on a subject, they're going to insert their own opinions into the matter. It's just a standard quality of human regurgitation of thought. In that regard, Wikipedia is often a lot MORE reliable than most sources, in that any information without a citation will be deleted. I mean, if you search Wikipedia on Wikipedia, part of the article will be devoted to complaints of its own inaccuracy. It doesn't defend itself, it just shows the information. Does CNN do that? Fox Network News? I don't think so.

-giusti

cherubsmummy

Experienced Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
No. If it is not good enough for my university studies, it's not good enough for my personal research.

Emma

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
I find it helpful for dates, external sources, links to other topics related to the subject; but I'm leery of using it as a primary reference for facts.

Reaction score
I write history. One of my books is cited as a source in a Wikipedia entry. Apparently, the poster doesen't read well. Everything that could be gotten wrong was gotten wrong.

It's an unreliable source and cannot be used for primary research.

Gina_Marie

Registered
Reaction score
I dislike wiki and refuse to use it.

Since anyone and their brother can and do edit it, I think its wise not to go near it. You can have any yahoo write whatever they wish and sometimes people won't find the mistake until a few hours later, but for those who have already looked at the site its too late.

Better not to touch it. Go to some nice databases, books, ebooks. Stuff you can count on done by experts. I'd rather have someone with a history degree writing information than some armchair historian who watches the hsitory channel and thinks they know it all.

Last edited:

SmartAsh

Registered
Reaction score
I use it nearly every day, just as a quick reference. However, as has been said by others, I would ever cite it as a source, and if I'm checking something important (and not just the history of thumb-war as I did recently... on a personal note, I am proud to announce that I am undefeated in thumb-war....well, except for the one time I lost but convinced my opponent that he hadn't pinned my thumb for a full count of four, so it was still a victory...) I always move on to more reliable sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.