Word Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
Can you greet someone with "respectful indifference"?

writin52

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm...if you are indifferent,would you bother to have respect for them? How about "polite indifference", that implies that despite your indifference, you are trying to be polite which is something you may want to be even if you are indifferent.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Why not just indifference? then you could go on to describe the person's aloofness or whatever.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I immediately thought of meeting a politician who you didn't know much about but who had a less-than-stellar reputation. Or possibly an atheist getting dragged to Mass and having to shake the Priest's hand afterward. "Respectful indifference". I like that phrase, as long as the context supports it.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Indifference, to me, just means you don't give a dern. IMO, you could truly not care but still be respectful.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's great.

In the wonderful world of writing, such contradicting writing is exactly what makes a piece fresh. Shaking things up, making the reader THINK about HOW to treat someone with "respectful indifference" is brilliant actually.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't pop out of nowhere... The phase itself is contradictory, so set up the character in a contradictory situation before using that phrase. Just my 2 cents.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've given respectful indifference to many, many teachers, bosses, and other figures of authority. You have to pretend to listen, to care, to respect, but the reality inside your head is who-gives-a-rat's-ass.

Nice turn of phrase.

Maryn, who'd use it

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I think it's great.

In the wonderful world of writing, such contradicting writing is exactly what makes a piece fresh. Shaking things up, making the reader THINK about HOW to treat someone with "respectful indifference" is brilliant actually.

Hmm..there's a fine line between making the reader think about something like this and throwing them out of the story to the point where they question what the writer means.

kimmer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scholarshipstreet.com
I have experienced this on only a few occasions. I may respect someone's work in their profession but I have no passion or interest in it. I respect what they have done for their constituency, and the sacrifices they have made, but it doesn't affect me and I don't necessarily support their organization or fully agree with them.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
Indifference: Quality of being indifferent

Indifferent: marked by impartiality; unbiased; apathetic

Respectful: marked by showing respect or deference

Respect: an act of giving particular attention; consideration; esteem

So, not really. You're basically saying "impartial esteem" or "unbiased consideration" or even "apathetic attention". It could work, but it sounds rough. I think the phrase is more of a turn of phrase--is that the right phrase? It sounds nice, doesn't it? Respectful indifference?

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com
I've been respectfully indifferent many times. What comes to mind is conversations with my inlaws.

My brother in law would say something inane and catty about (the neighbors, the president, a celeb) and I would reply "Oh really?" or "I didn't know that" or "You don't say"

However, the respect I was showing was for my husband, who was unfortunately born into a family of idiots.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd use it. I'd also use courteous indifference, since it's a bit milder than respectful.

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. I think I'm going to keep it because the "yeahs" hit the point I was trying to make.

You're all so wonderful!

Status
Not open for further replies.