PDA

View Full Version : Lefty/Righty

KTC
03-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Which are you? Just discovered 2 left handers here and I am also a lefty. Just wondering what the ratio is? Simple poll...either/or.

StoryG27
03-18-2008, 03:30 PM
woo-hoo, I've finally been discovered!

:D I'm assuming I'm one of the lefties you just "discovered." So, that pretty much is my answer.

And remember: Lefties do it right!

sunna
03-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Right handed for almost everything, but I'm a southpaw when I'm at bat or spiking a volleyball, for some odd reason.

poetinahat
03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Back in the US, I was a southpaw. Now, apparently, I'm a mollydooker.

KTC
03-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Back in the US, I was a southpaw. Now, apparently, I'm a mollydooker.

Don't you become a righty down there? I know your toilets swirl the wrong way. It should only stand to reason...

KTC
03-18-2008, 03:38 PM
woo-hoo, I've finally been discovered!

:D I'm assuming I'm one of the lefties you just "discovered." So, that pretty much is my answer.

And remember: Lefties do it right!

Yes, SG. You have been discovered. You and David both.

Bmwhtly
03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Why is there no 'mind your own business' or 'who cares?' option?

I'm very dissapointed.

Bmwhtly
03-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Also, there's no ambidextrous option.

poetinahat
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Don't you become a righty down there? I know your toilets swirl the wrong way. It should only stand to reason...
:Huh:

:Wha:

:idea:

:D

:ROFL:

:roll:

:rolleyes:

:roll:

KTC
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Why is there no 'mind your own business' or 'who cares?' option?

I'm very dissapointed.

I meant to put in a warning in my initial post. I don't give a rat's ass about Ben's answer, but everybody else can answer the poll.

robeiae
03-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Thank you, Kevin. I'm deeply touched.

KTC

Only because I don't believe in 100% ambidextrousness. I can write with my right hand...but it's not natural for me.

StoryG27
I actually fall somewhere in between lefty and ambi. I write left handed, but I play all sports right handed, and when I eat, I'll use either hand.

KTC
03-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Thank you, Kevin. I'm deeply touched.

We all know you are touched, Robieiaeiaieiaieiaeiaieiaeiaieaieiae.

KTC
03-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I actually fall somewhere in between lefty and ambi. I write left handed, but I play all sports right handed, and when I eat, I'll use either hand.

Yes, well...I'm speaking of writing. I do all sorts of things differently. I put this down to how the idiot right handed people in our lives taught us. I golf right I play hockey left I swing a bat right.

StoryG27
03-18-2008, 03:49 PM
Wow, left is winning!

Shush up, I do NOT make everything a competition.

Perks
03-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Now, apparently, I'm a mollydooker.I'm going to tell your wife.

I'm very right-handed. But I've been known to give a left-handed compliment.

Haggis
03-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Throws - right

Bats - both

Types - both

Bmwhtly
03-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I meant to put in a warning in my initial post. I don't give a rat's ass about Ben's answer.Then feel free to ignore the following.

I know your toilets swirl the wrong way.They swirl whichever way you want.
As do the ones way up here.
In either hemisphere, you can make the water swirl in whichever direction you want.

Priene
03-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Yes, well...I'm speaking of writing. I do all sorts of things differently. I put this down to how the idiot right handed people in our lives taught us. I golf right I play hockey left I swing a bat right.

No, you're mixed-handed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance), mate. You, me and Leonard da Vinci.

Jersey Chick
03-18-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm left handed, but I play guitar right-handed, can't use left-handed scissors to save my life, and when it comes to playing the piano, my left hand just won't cooperate.

Devil Ledbetter
03-18-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm a lefty and so is my DH.

poetinahat
03-18-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm a lefty and so is my DH.
I always knew you were American League!

KTC
03-18-2008, 04:31 PM
No, you're mixed-handed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance), mate. You, me and Leonard da Vinci.

no. call it what you will. left to my own devices, I am sure I would have learned everything the proper and natural way for me. I remember still the awkwardness of learning some of those things that I do right-handed...almost like I had to force myself to do it wrong.

StoryG27
03-18-2008, 04:37 PM
I had a teacher in Elementary school that made me sit in the back of the class because I was left handed, and I had to write right handed in her class. It sucked. She was VERY old-school.

I truly was left to my own devices when learning sports and such, and it always felt very natural with my right hand, even though I'm not right handed. If I try to throw a ball with my left hand, it just feels awkward, always has, just like writing with my right hand feels awkward.

sheadakota
03-18-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm a lefty. I went to Catholic elementry school though- the nuns tried to convert me- they told me I was writing with the 'instrument of the devil'

:Shrug:

donroc
03-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Write left, throw left, bat right, kick right, play frets with left fingers, fork left-knife right, shoot right. Help!!!!!

writin52
03-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Write left, throw left, bat right, kick right, play frets with left fingers, fork left-knife right, shoot right. Help!!!!! Wow donroc, how cool is it to be ambidextrous!!!! Or is it only confusing?:)

donroc
03-18-2008, 04:54 PM
Confusing because I am not skilled equally with both hands at any task. I also shot hoops and dribbled left-handed -- very weak with the right.

sunna
03-18-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm a lefty. I went to Catholic elementry school though- the nuns tried to convert me- they told me I was writing with the 'instrument of the devil'

:Shrug:

You know, I got the same thing in Sunday School when we played whiffle ball....I always thought it was just those particular nuns, who were sort of strange. Interesting.

cray
03-18-2008, 05:06 PM
burritos – left
oddly, tacos – right.

i know, it’s usually the other way around.

Meerkat
03-18-2008, 05:09 PM
Talk about Pandora's box, Kevin--don't get me started!

Right.

Okay, I'm done.

DWSTXS
03-18-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm an ambi

sheadakota
03-18-2008, 05:11 PM
burritos left
oddly, tacos right.

i know, its usually the other way around.
WoW- what a freak

reigningcatsndogs
03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
my younger son is totally ambi-- writing, eating, cutting, even running power tools. He can golf with either left or right clubs, when he shoots pool, he switches hands without a thought -- totally natural. It's eough to make you nauseous when you watch him!

I however, am normal. :D

Haggis
03-18-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't think it's any coincidence that in Latin, the word meaning "left-handed" is "sinister." You people are the devil's spawn.

Bmwhtly
03-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Interesting.

Because, apparently, in Medieval times left-handed swordists were sought after.
Because it meant they'd be better at fighting Up spiral staircases.

StoryG27
03-18-2008, 05:31 PM
Interesting.

Because, apparently, in Medieval times left-handed swordists were sought after.
Because it meant they'd be better at fighting Up spiral staircases.
Hmm, I'll have to remember this. Next time I'm in a sword fight, I'll head for the first spiral staircase I see.

Meerkat
03-18-2008, 05:31 PM
"Writers who favor elite over pica are the devil's spawn..." --Haggis, 1970
"Viewers who favor Beta over VHS are the devil's spawn...." --Haggis, 1979
"Drivers who favor Ford over Chevy are the devil's spawn...." --Haggis, 1981
"Listeners who prefer acoustic Roxanne over electric are the devil's spawn..." --Haggis, 1984
"Homemakers who prefer Bounty over Brawny are the devil's spawn..." --Haggis, 1990

and now this. All I can say is "Thank you, Haggis, for your wisdom and guidance through all of these troubling times."

Haggis
03-18-2008, 05:33 PM
"Writers who favor elite over pica are the devil's spawn..." --Haggis, 1970
"Viewers who favor Beta over VHS are the devil's spawn...." --Haggis, 1979
"Drivers who favor Ford over Chevy are the devil's spawn...." --Haggis, 1981
"Listeners who prefer acoustic Roxanne over electric are the devil's spawn..." --Haggis, 1984
"Homemakers who prefer Bounty over Brawny are the devil's spawn..." --Haggis, 1990

and now this. All I can say is "Thank you, Haggis, for your wisdom and guidance through all of these troubling times."

I do what I can.

reigningcatsndogs
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Does the 'righty tighty, lefty loosy' rule still apply here?

Bmwhtly
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Does the 'righty tighty, lefty loosy' rule still apply here?*looks at list of lefty ladyfolk*

I'd say so.

What? I'm kidding, of course!

Robert Toy
03-18-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't think it's any coincidence that in Latin, the word meaning "left-handed" is "sinister." You people are the devil's spawn.
Hmm, why is your syringe set up for a lefty?

Stew21
03-18-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm right-handed. Little Stew is right-handed too, except for baseball - he bats left, throws right. Mr. Stew was a lefty that was switched to right when he got into school. He still bats, golfs, and shoots left. Littlest Stew is left all the way.

TrainofThought
03-18-2008, 06:05 PM
I'm righty, which means I'm always right and I will live longer.

*ambi when I play pool*

Priene
03-18-2008, 06:14 PM
no. call it what you will. left to my own devices, I am sure I would have learned everything the proper and natural way for me. I remember still the awkwardness of learning some of those things that I do right-handed...almost like I had to force myself to do it wrong.

You were forced into right-handedness? That's mean.

Haggis
03-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Hmm, why is your syringe set up for a lefty?

I'm left-necked. So shoot me.

Hobbes
03-18-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm a righty, as in right is might, or might is right. Whatever. And like ToT, ambi when I shoot pool. At least I'm trying to teach myself. :)

TrainofThought
03-18-2008, 07:12 PM
I'm a righty, as in right is might, or might is right. Whatever. And like ToT, ambi when I shoot pool. At least I'm trying to teach myself. :)We'd make great pool partners, maybe even hustle some money from the left handers. :D

Hobbes
03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
We'd make great pool partners, maybe even hustle some money from the left handers. :D

Probably because more than anything they wouldn't be able to keep their eyes off of you. ;)

WildScribe
03-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I like to write right handed, but I have tried to learn left handed before. I can do it, but my writing skills degenerate at least a decade's worth. Oh, well.

I do throw better with my left hand, even though it feels awkward. Also, my brother-in-law and his girlfriend are both lefties, which gets annoying at family dinners where everyone that their end of the table is playing elbow-wars. ;)

JoeEkaitis
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I hold writing instruments and eating utensils with my right hand, but whether I type with one hand or both, I'm equally mediocre.

KTC
03-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I hold writing instruments and eating utensils with my right hand, but whether I type with one hand or both, I'm equally mediocre.

It's quite hard to achieve mediocrity. Revel in your success, my good man.

StoryG27
03-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Remember, lefties are in their right minds.

It's clear we have many righties here. Pffff.

Meerkat
03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
It's quite hard to achieve mediocrity.

To which I say "oh contrail!"

KTC
03-18-2008, 08:01 PM
au contraire to you.

KTC
03-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Remember, lefties are in their right minds.
It's clear we have many righties here. Pffff.

On 3...sing with me..."to the left, to the left"

Meerkat
03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
au contraire to you.

Too shay, Kevin.

III
03-18-2008, 08:11 PM
"Okay, you guys can go around if you want. I'm crossing here. And while you guys are dragging your candy asses half way across the state and back, I'll be waiting on the other side, relaxing with my thoughts."

- Teddy DuChamp

williemeikle
03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Another sinister here....

Willie

sassandgroove
03-18-2008, 08:15 PM
righty

I think there are far fewer ambidextrous people than there are people who claim it.

johnnysannie
03-18-2008, 10:54 PM
I fall somewhere in between.

By nature, I am a lefty but my grandmother who contributed a great deal to my care in the early years was old-fashioned and "changed" me. Every time I reached for a spoon with my left hand, she changed it to the right, etc. Back years ago, this was not an uncommon thing. My other grandmother did the same thing to my mom, her daughter.

So I became "right-handed" but discovered in high school that I can actually use either hand as well.

If I think about it, I use my right hand. When I don't, nine times out of ten, I'm using my left.

KTC
03-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Too shay, Kevin.

Hush, hush, eye to eye.

KTC
03-18-2008, 11:01 PM
"Okay, you guys can go around if you want. I'm crossing here. And while you guys are dragging your candy asses half way across the state and back, I'll be waiting on the other side, relaxing with my thoughts."

- Teddy DuChamp

Except for the Loony up in Togus.

Yeshanu
03-18-2008, 11:02 PM
Lefty here. My grandmother was a lefty, too, and not forced to change, as far as I know.

My daughter is a lefty, but all the males in our family are righties.

Of course, when you're a lefty, writing from right to left is more natural than the other way around. When my daughter entered grade three, she changed schools. At the beginning of the year, her teacher called us in for a conference. She was in a panic. "Do you see this?" she asked, holding up a writing sample. No, she wasn't impressed that a seven-year-old had written an entire paragraph without help. She was horrified that the entire paragraph was written right-to-left.

We had trouble remaining in our seats and not laughing out loud at the teacher. We're pretty sure it was quite intentional on her part.

She does have a sense of humour, that one...

maxmordon
03-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I am left-handed. Grandma is also left-handed; I was never forced to write with my right hand althought I don't know about grandma's case

brokenfingers
03-18-2008, 11:15 PM
I type with both hands usually.

maestrowork
03-18-2008, 11:43 PM
I never knew a leftie until I came to the US.

I ____ with both hands.

Devil Ledbetter
03-19-2008, 12:30 AM
I never knew a leftie until I came to the US.

I ____ with both hands.Eat?

sassandgroove
03-19-2008, 12:33 AM
Type?

melaniehoo
03-19-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm a lefty. I do most everything left-handed expect sports, that's somewhat mixed. Most stick sports (shut it) I play right-handed: golf because lefty clubs were expensive and lacrosse because my coach didn't know if we were allowed to play left-handed. *smacks forehead* I play tennis lefty and can switch hit in baseball. I throw & shoot with my left hand but can dribble with both. I'm ambi in soccer.

Big question for leftys: which wrist do you wear your watch? Me, right.

donroc
03-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Watch on right.

JLCwrites
03-19-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm a lefty. I do most everything left-handed expect sports, that's somewhat mixed.

So.. I guess that means we aren't twins anymore. :cry:

sassandgroove
03-19-2008, 01:06 AM
you could be if you were mirror images...

melaniehoo
03-19-2008, 01:10 AM
So.. I guess that means we aren't twins anymore. :cry:

you could be if you were mirror images...

Yes, yes! That's it!

Turkey, I TYPE with both hands...

quickWit
03-19-2008, 01:12 AM
Me, right.

Nice grammar, lefty.

JLCwrites
03-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Turkey, I TYPE with both hands... OMG!!!!! Me too!!! Yay! What are the odds?!?! We are totally twins!!!

melaniehoo
03-19-2008, 01:15 AM
Nice grammar, lefty.

It says all I need to say.

OMG!!!!! Me too!!! Yay! What are the odds?!?! We are totally twins!!!

W00t!

Uncarved
03-19-2008, 02:02 AM
I write and sword fight left handed
but apparently everything else with the right hand.

Meerkat
03-19-2008, 02:08 AM
I write and sword fight left handed.

How often we hear that!

Uncarved
03-19-2008, 02:09 AM
well yea you know, what can I say?? I've a fondness for sharp pointy things that I can legally drill into someone AND get points for it!!

Soccer Mom
03-19-2008, 04:21 AM
I'm a right all the way, which means my brain has left. Right?

My youngest is a lefty and kicks left footed also, which delighted his coach the first day of practice. He also throws left, but bats right.

ETA: Of course this means he's a natural left forward-- EXCEPT his current coach (IDIOT!) keeps putting him in at right forward. Dummy.

rhymegirl
03-19-2008, 04:45 AM
I'm right-handed and at times I wonder why I even have a left hand since it isn't good for doing much by itself.

DragonHeart
04-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Lefty. Oddly, both my parents are righties, while my brother and I are lefties.

~DragonHeart~

JoeEkaitis
04-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Fully ambidextrous!

Well, with a knife and fork.

I'll . . . I'll be . . . going now.

Jenan Mac
04-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Old enough to have been forcibly converted to writing right-handed in kindergarten. I'm a crappy typist (hunt and peck) and type left handed, though.

Meerkat
04-09-2008, 08:36 PM
If it's "right hand on steering wheel, left hand flipping off other drivers," is that ambidextrous?

althrasher
04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Left handed.

I quit Girl Scouts because the leader told me I couldn't do the craft left handed.

...incidentally, I quit crafts too.

sandyn
04-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Left handed.

I quit Girl Scouts because the leader told me I couldn't do the craft left handed.

Lefty here. I never had trouble in Girl Scouts but my mother would not teach me to sew because she said I did it backwards...:D

She did stick up for us (my twin is also a lefty) with the teachers and told them to leave us alone and let us use whichever hand came naturally.

I've heard of problems caused by forcing lefties to switch. One guy I knew was cross-eyed and another one stuttered and had to have speech therapy.

LEFT HANDED PEOPLE ARE THE ONLY ONES IN THEIR RIGHT MIND!:tongue

L M Ashton
04-10-2008, 05:25 AM
Which are you? Just discovered 2 left handers here and I am also a lefty. Just wondering what the ratio is? Simple poll...either/or.
Nope, it's not a simple poll, and no, I can't choose between just left vs. right. I'm mostly right handed, but I'm left handed in certain circumstances. Plus I'm left ear, eye, and leg dominant, which indicates a strong possibility that I should have been left handed.

And just to mix things up, I have a friend who's ambidextrous, but not in the standard way. She does math and sciences with her right hand, and languages with her left. Can't do math with her left, can't do languages with her right. Quite bizarre! Brilliant brilliant lady, though, and is working towards a masters in math not for career purposes, but just for fun. With her right hand.

Joycecwilliams
04-10-2008, 05:30 AM
I am officially right handed.. However my mother would not let me be left handed, so she made me use my right. To this day, I get confused... when someone says turn right or left.. I can't make a split decision on which is which..

Lyra Jean
04-10-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm left handed everything except for when I played viola in high school. When I started school my mom went to the school and told them not to switch me and they informed her that they don't do that anymore. She was forced to switch although she writes left handed.

I confuse my left and right and sometimes I forget which hand is my left and right hand. I have to start writing with each hand to figure it out. It's weird.

I also heard and I have nothing to back it up is that left handed people were really supposed to be twins and the twin never developed.

JoNightshade
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm a righty. But I can easily write with my left hand... if you don't mind reading everything in mirror-image.

As for kicking, hitting, etc. etc., I have no clue whether I'm right or left because I don't DO those sorts of things. ;)

tjwriter
04-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm a lefty. DH is a lefty. We can't tell what Piper is going to be because even at two, she's yet to show a true dominant side. It's whatever's convienent at the moment. I think she's slowing leaning toward left, too, but there are a great many things she does right handed when the momennt suits her.

I'm what I would call semi-ambi. I don't write well right handed, but I think that is from more of a lack of practice than anything else.

KTC
04-10-2008, 02:54 PM
Left handed.

Have we an internal sequin issue to deal with, Benjamin?

KTC
04-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I've been waiting years to use that quote. Thank you for the set up.