PDA

View Full Version : Style and Rhetoric??

Exir
03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
What's the difference between style and rhetoric? I've read somewhere that it is detrimental to his writing for a person to consciously think about style, but thinking about rhetoric is helpful for your writing

So, what the heck is the difference between style and rhetoric?

KTC
03-18-2008, 03:13 PM
I see rhetoric as a practice of perfecting language and using it effectively and style as something that comes through as natural. Style is the way a certain writer writes whereas rhetoric is the way in which that writer learns to use his/her style.

That's just my uneducated two cents worth, though. I'm sure others will give you a much better answer. I look forward to reading the replies to your question.

geardrops
03-18-2008, 08:59 PM
From dictionary.com...

Style: the mode of expressing thought in writing or speaking by selecting and arranging words, considered with respect to clearness, effectiveness, euphony, or the like, that is characteristic of a group, period, person, personality, etc.: to write in the style of Faulkner; a familiar style; a pompous, pedantic style.

Rhetoric: the art or science of all specialized literary uses of language in prose or verse, including the figures of speech.

So I would say from that: Rhetoric is writing. Style is how you do it.

Medievalist
03-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Style is one of the five parts of rhetoric; rhetoric, properly used and defined, is the art of persuasion, and it is divided into five parts:

Invention (where do you get your ideas? Or, prewriting)
Arrangement (putting your ideas into order, and creating a logical argument or emotionally persuasive narrative)
Style (grammar, syntax, diction, and the proper use of the various rhetorical (literary) figures, that is, the tropes and scehmes, and how they may best support your arrangement and persuade your audience)
Memory (Rhetoric at its heart is a study firmly tied to oral tradition, and live delivery/performance, but in writing, I suppose this is close to the construction work of formatting etc.)
Delivery (Traditionally, this would be the public performance or the oration or whatever; now, with writing, I suppose it's publishing).

giusti
03-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Personally, I believe that a problem in all entertainment, whether it be novels, movies, music, theatre, or whatever else, people stick to their styles too much. You can see a movie and think it's great. See another movie by the same director, and it may be great as well, but a certain percentage of it (in my opinion too much) is the exact same thing. Some people like this, but I just can't sit still when so confined.

-giusti

JimmyB27
03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
One is a a series of steps to get you over a wall or fence, and the other is a question that requires no answer.

KTC
03-19-2008, 02:42 PM
One is a a series of steps to get you over a wall or fence, and the other is a question that requires no answer.

You are a riddle wrapped within an enigma, aren't you?

JimmyB27
03-19-2008, 02:44 PM
You are a riddle wrapped within an enigma, aren't you?
Well, that's better than some things I've been called.

maestrowork
03-19-2008, 06:29 PM
I don't really pay attention. I just write. I'll let the scholars decide when they're analyzing my work (after I'm dead).