Nonfiction Book Proposals Anybody Can Write

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read this book? Did you find it useful?

I'm curious because I have the opportunity to meet the author, Elizabeth Lyon, at a conference in October, so any experiences with or impressions of her would also be very helpful.

Thanks for any thoughts,
Chacounne

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Elizabeth Lyon is great. She's down to earth, makes sense, doesn't condescent, tells it straight and seeks to be helpful, always. I met her at a writer's conference two years ago and agreed to let me interview her for a piece I was pitching. I've exchanged some emails with her, though not lately, and she always responds thoughtfully and thoroughly.

I've used her book and like it very much. I've used the other two main books (Jeff Herman's and Michael Larsen) and honestly, I think the trilogy works best because they each have strengths in giving you tips on how to put a nonfiction proposal together. I even emailed her a few times while I read the book to get clarification on how certain things might apply to my proposal.

I think she's worth reading, meeting and even emailing before you go to the conference, then she'll know the name and the face.

She has a website, but I forget the address. If you google her name in quotes, you should be able to find it.

Good luck! Where's the conference?

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
The book is absolutely fantastic! More information that you could possibly use. I borrowed this book from a friend quite a few months ago, and STILL haven't returned it. :Shrug:

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ladies!

That was wonderful input, and I will email her before the conference. She's coming to the Surrey International Writers' Convention (that's near Vancouver) in October, and I think I will use her arrival as the deadline to get my book proposal in order, so she can, if she's willing, go over it before I start sending it out.

Thanks for the awesome inspiration!
Chacounne

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
wonderful book. It is the only one I kept on writing proposals. It's the best I've seen.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Chacounne said:
That was wonderful input, and I will email her before the conference. She's coming to the Surrey International Writers' Convention (that's near Vancouver) in October, and I think I will use her arrival as the deadline to get my book proposal in order, so she can, if she's willing, go over it before I start sending it out.

That's exactly what I did before I went to the conference where I met her. I still needed to do a lot of work, but I was prepared to have at least a first conversation. They LOVE when you know about them, their rules and have an idea of where you are in the process. That way, they can help you the best, and in an efficient way for everyone.

determined2finish

something from nothing
Registered
Reaction score
This is the first book I seriously read on writing a book proposal. Elizabeth makes everything so logical - and she is a great motivator. In fact, I liked this book so much I just purchased another book she wrote about how to write nonfiction books.

Status
Not open for further replies.