Condensed Cream Of Literature

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My brother is an educated well to do man. His one drawback is that he never liked to read books. Recently he read 1984. That has put him on the hunt for more books. His complaint is that most are too long for busy people these days. I agree. I loaned him The Old Man And The Sea.

I believe there's an untapped market for readers who don't savor King sized volumes (pun certainly intended). I'm not talking downloads, but paperbacks for the already overburdened. Thoughts?

I did happen upon THIS.

Last edited:

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read much in my teen years. That's why I write smaller books (70k words) with as much fast flowing action as possible. I want others like me to have access to books they'll enjoy without putting them off from the start with the enormity of the task ahead.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
I believe shorter type novels have always had a good market. Like those you buy at airports and news agencies. Until literary agents and publishers change their length requirements for thrillers, I'll keep within the guidelines.

JJ

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've grown impatient with novels bloated with description. If the novel is long because the story is long, that's great. If it's long because the author wastes my time describing the scenery in endless, florid detail or repeating information, well blech. The nice thing about short novels is the author doesn't have the luxury of dallying about.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Old Man is certainly one of the best of these books. A classic. I love small books for those times in my life when I am absolutely swamped. I still love to read but can't seem to get into the tomes. Another good one is Too Loud a Solitude (those who are sick of me recommending that one...no I don't get kickbacks on sales...I just love it). I will always appreciate the short novel/novella.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I am constantly multi-tasking, so I tend to gravitate towards Middle Grade books because the chapters are shorter. That way, I can get through a chapter before the kids cover themselves with markers and glue! :) (Of course, I like writing MG books too!)

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All very good points. Ledbetter, I also deplore too much description. Let me fill in the blanks. I know what buttons are. I know what asphalt looks like. I don't have to be spoon fed. To me, Shirley Jackson's The Lottery is the perfect novel. Every word counts. Sure it would take only a few pages, but there could be sections of commentary and author info if I so desired to read them. My thinking is there's more money to be made with higher page counts, thus the morbidly obese novels.

A good story stays with you long after you've finished reading.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Three words: Classics Illustrated Comics. Seriously. I don't know if the're still around, but back when I was eight I devoured 'em like candy. They were a great intro into the wide world of books.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If you think your brother might like John Steinbeck, he wrote a number of excellent novellas, including, Tortilla Flat, Of Mice and Men, The Red Pony, The Moon is Down, Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday and The Pearl.

...To me, Shirley Jackson's The Lottery is the perfect novel...
Jackson's Lottery is a short story originally published in the New Yorker.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Yea, I was just going to add Of Mice and Men, a truly great quick read.

Status
Not open for further replies.