HBO does it again: John Adams

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
There are two kinds of people. People who have HBO and people who do not.

The excellence, truth, and dare I say "art" that HBO manages to produce time and time again is something I have grown to look forward to.

The latest saga for HBO is an 8 part mini-series on the founding father, John Adams.

What is your take so far for parts I and II???

Mel...

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Dang! I forgot to watch this. I was excited to see that David Morse has a supporting role as George Washington. I've been a fan of his for ages.

I'll have to hope for a repeat marathon, or a quick DVD release. :(

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Is this based on McCullough's book?

Either way, I'm upset I don't have HBO. Why didn't they put this on the History Channel where it belongs?

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
It is based on McCullough's book. I saw the preview for the show but didn't see the show. I'll have to look out for it.

I just got done with McCullough's Mornings On Horseback - the biography of Teddy Roosevelt. Very good book.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Is this based on McCullough's book?

Either way, I'm upset I don't have HBO. Why didn't they put this on the History Channel where it belongs?

Think it cost them about $60M to make, so a little pricey for the history channel.

But do not despair, in 2 years or so, it will end up being sold to the history channel.

And yes, it is based on the book. Apparently, he had a lot of input into the making of it. Tom Hanks was the producer and wanted to be accurate.

p.s. Trish, you are burning up my computer. All I have to say is.... WOW!!! Nice pic ;)

Mel...

The Scip

...walks this way.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thescip.blogspot.com
I didn't watch it, I don't have HBO, but I heard that there were a few historical inaccuracies in it. This information coming from a fellow history teacher of course.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
That settles it. One of you who actually has HBO is going to have to invite the rest of us over to watch.

I loved that book, and I'd love to see what they've done with it on screen.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
I thought the dynamic between John and Abigail was simply perfect. The chemistry was tangible, REAL - charged with the emotions of a lifelong 'partnership' of struggles. Like I said, I smell Emmies.

I've read SOME of the letters between John and Abigail, it would be interesting to know how much of their dialogue is lifted directly from the letters - certainly it informs the writing.

I watched the "making of" shorts - it's simply amazing what they have accomplished. Both in terms of building real sets, and CGI integration. You really can't see the seams.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
HBO does this stuff well, but I refuse to pay for it when they show the same movie 4 times in one day. When Rome, Deadwood and Entourage were all on together, that was worth it.

Good thing all these shows usually make it to DVD. I'm waiting for John Adams.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
You forgot: And those who had HBO and thought it was a waste of money.

Blasphemy!!!!

Some "reconditioning" experts will be visiting you shortly!!!!

I didn't watch it, I don't have HBO, but I heard that there were a few historical inaccuracies in it. This information coming from a fellow history teacher of course.

I don't know about that. Watching the making of John Adams, they had a bunch of historical people checking every little detial.

But if there was an inaccuracy, I would ask is it a matter of opinion or a matter of fact. And if it is an inaccurate fact, is it of any signficance.

I believe it is IMPOSSIBLE to be 100% accurate since history is written by people and their tends to be some disagreances on certain matters. But the important thing is if the "essence" and soul of the story is true. From what i've seen so far, it seems well done and accurate.

Mel...

Last edited:

Gary

Registered
Reaction score
The episodes I've seen have been spectacular in both story and execution. Showing it in our schools should be mandatory.