not sure how to take this

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
I received this email today:

Dear Piscesgirl80:

The editors of "Literary Magazine" would like to use "Your Poem" for an upcoming issue. But we have a question: (topics of poem) are promising, but there have been several books written on the subject, including one by Famous Writer. We would like you to reassure us that this is entirely your own work. If you can do this, we feel the poem would add just the right touch of lightness to our magazine.

Sincerely, the Editors

I would like to be happy that they seemed to like the poem, and that I have the first acceptance I've had in awhile, but I feel vaguely hurt that I've more or less been accused of plagiarism, and suddenly doubting myself--did I read a poem of Famous Writer at one point and did it seep into my subconscious, etc?

Just Jack

King of Procrastination
Registered
Reaction score
look at it this way:

It just means your on par with the greats, and your poem is so good that they actually had to ask. I bet they dont do that often.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
They might just be jittery because of all the various publishing scandals lately. Congratulations on the acceptance!

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with, Susan. Just let them know it's yours and enjoy! Congratulations...

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Assure them it's your own and cash the check...
Take the comparison of your work to a famous writer as a compliment.

I was recently asked in an interview whether my character was based on a character from a rather famous TV series (he hadn't been).

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice, everybody! :D I'll start celebrating now.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I was confronted by a professor once in college who thought my essay was "too good" to be mine. I proceeded to illuminate him by fully explaining each point in detail (while being rather huffy about the whole matter), and he gave me A's for the rest of the semester. I still keep in touch with him. My point? Take it as a compiment.