PDA

View Full Version : Peep insanity lives!

mommie4a
03-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Ok - What's the strangest thing you've ever done to a peep?

Sarita
03-27-2005, 07:08 PM

:roll: Eaten it?

mommie4a
03-27-2005, 07:41 PM
I saw a clip on the news this morning showing trucks trying to mutilate them. Kinda sacreligious I thought! And the eyes still glowed.

JoeEkaitis
03-27-2005, 08:26 PM
If you put one in a microwave oven for a few seconds, it grows. If you leave it in too long, it will eventually grow to a height of 200 feet, come to life and destroy Tokyo.

allion
03-27-2005, 08:30 PM
This has to be an American thing. In Canada, we just aren't familiar with the vile little things. I find the fascination with the marshmallow blobs with the creepy eyes interesting. They don't look edible, with that bright sugar coating.

I prefer chocolate that doesn't look back at me.

Karen

Inspired
03-27-2005, 08:45 PM
I saw a Peep artist on the Food channel the other day. If I made sculptures like that, I wouldn't want to eat another one - sugar overload!

Birol
03-27-2005, 10:48 PM
This has to be an American thing. In Canada, we just aren't familiar with the vile little things. I find the fascination with the marshmallow blobs with the creepy eyes interesting. They don't look edible, with that bright sugar coating.

I prefer chocolate that doesn't look back at me.

Karen

1. The sugar is not a coating. It is the entire peep.
2. They are not edible, which is why so many individuals know what happens when you do things like put them in the microwave.
3. If Canadians aren't familiar with them, how do you know about the creepy, vile things? ;)

Fractured_Chaos
03-27-2005, 11:08 PM
Lord of the Peeps. (http://www.lordofthepeeps.com/lotp/images.html)

The Bunnies Strike Back (http://www.marks.networktel.net/)

Peeps Research (http://www.millikin.edu/staley/fluff/peep_research.html)

Peeps From Hell (http://www.auricular.com/AIM/features/peeps/peeps.html)

Yes, folks, there is a serious obsession with Peeps! :ROFL:

mommie4a
03-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Peeps off to you for indulging us! Love it to peeps!

Fractured_Chaos
03-27-2005, 11:13 PM
O. M. G!!!! :ROFL:

Even NASA has gotten into the act! (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2000/ast01apr_1m.htm)

Fractured_Chaos
03-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Okay...Even more peeps links:

Peephenge (http://www.lordofthepeeps.com/peephenge/peephenge.html)

Okay,,okay, I'll stop.

Dawno
03-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Romeo & Juliet (http://www.theplainjane.com/peep_plays/rj_scene01.html)

(this was brought to my attention in the Learn Writing With Uncle Jim thread -- by our genial uncle himself)

Richard
03-28-2005, 12:24 AM
I'd never even heard of these vile little things until my editor brought us back a box of them that he'd found on a bench during a trip to the US.

So I wrote this:
http://www.richardcobbett.co.uk/journal/2005/03/evil-bunnies-from-the-us-of-a/

mommie4a
03-28-2005, 12:30 AM
So I guess no Idol should try to bribe you with a basket of peeps?

E.G. Gammon
03-28-2005, 12:38 AM
I can't stand those little things. I saw that thing on the morning news about all the stuff people do with peeps and the obsession people have for them. It's crazy. They are little marshmallow blobs. I mean come on! People putting toothpicks in two peeps and facing them towards each other in the microwave and betting actual money to see which peep wins? Man, I guess me having an actual life prevents me from having all that sort of fun...

Richard
03-28-2005, 12:54 AM
So I guess no Idol should try to bribe you with a basket of peeps?

I'd go with something more fun and appealing, like rat poison soaked arsenic in a bun.

mommie4a
03-28-2005, 12:55 AM
Darn - I just gave the last bun to my husband and three kids for snack!

rhymegirl
03-28-2005, 01:42 AM
What are peeps?

Little Bo Peep's kids?
A slang term for people?
The sounds that a baby chick makes?

mommie4a
03-28-2005, 01:45 AM
If Peter Cottontail were pink or purple or yellow and made entirely out of sugar fused together, never to be torn asunder, that would be a peep.

jdkiggins
03-28-2005, 03:09 AM

I need to get out more.
My first thought was caponize the poor thing.

mommie4a
03-28-2005, 03:56 AM
:roll:

allion
03-28-2005, 04:02 AM
1. The sugar is not a coating. It is the entire peep.
2. They are not edible, which is why so many individuals know what happens when you do things like put them in the microwave.
3. If Canadians aren't familiar with them, how do you know about the creepy, vile things? ;)

Because it was on Sunday Morning on CBS today - and yes, they showed the legendary Peep factory (but couldn't show the machine that made the Peeps, or they would have to kill us all).

We get lots of US TV here, even more now that we have digital cable. I can watch the news from Seattle, though I'm not sure why I would. I digress...

I just go for chocolate. Dark chocolate with a high cocoa level if possible. And hey, it's got antioxidants, so it's healthy!

Peeps look evil...but it looks like you can make art with them.

Karen

SRHowen
03-28-2005, 04:07 AM
My hubby actually likes to eat the things--yuck!@

Shawn

Dawno
03-28-2005, 05:41 AM
I'd never even heard of these vile little things until my editor brought us back a box of them that he'd found on a bench during a trip to the US.

So I wrote this:
http://www.richardcobbett.co.uk/journal/2005/03/evil-bunnies-from-the-us-of-a/

Thank you for posting that link. Loved the story!

Nivvie
03-28-2005, 11:20 AM
We have no peeps!

If it wasn't for the pictures I wouldn't have the slightest idea what you're all talking about.

I want a peep.
Are they tasty?
Made with the kind of colouring that sends kids insane?

Dawno
03-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Nivvie, learn more than you'd ever need to know about Peeps. (http://www.marshmallowpeeps.com/index.html)

As far as I can tell they're only sold in the US, but there were a lot of retailers that I didn't recognize.

Fractured_Chaos
03-28-2005, 01:19 PM
We have no peeps!

Lucky you! Really!

I want a peep.

You'd regret it.

Are they tasty?

BLECH! NO! They're horrid! Pure sugar.

Made with the kind of colouring that sends kids insane?

More like possessed.

*in Grandpa Simpson's voice* They're eeeeeeeevvvviiiiiillll, I tell ya! eeeeeevvvvviiiiiillll!

Richard
03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Are they tasty?

They are the kind of sweet that gives American candy a bad name, and that's taking into account the fact that Hershey bars taste like vomit and those Malteaser variants actually burn.

arrowqueen
03-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Up until now, I'd never even heard of them. Now that I've looked at the pics I suspect they are created by subjecting ordinary marshmallows to radiation.

Nivvie
03-28-2005, 10:13 PM
*in Grandpa Simpson's voice* They're eeeeeeeevvvviiiiiillll, I tell ya! eeeeeevvvvviiiiiillll!

But like a child who's been warned off booze, I clicked in the kindly posted link, credit card in hand to order, but they won't ship outside the US!!

And I should know better, I've been to the US and yes, when it comes to sweets it's all very sugary with a slightly flammable flavour.

But I still want one!!

Mr Underhill
03-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Surprisingly, no one has yet suggested using this vile confection as a substitute for the marshmallows in s'mores. I have seen people do this. Of course, if it gets too close to the fire, the peep will erupt in a manner reminiscent of the magic black snake fireworks of our youth.

sgtsdaughter
03-29-2005, 10:01 AM
Surprisingly, no one has yet suggested using this vile confection as a substitute for the marshmallows in s'mores. I have seen people do this. Of course, if it gets too close to the fire, the peep will erupt in a manner reminiscent of the magic black snake fireworks of our youth.

Mr. Underhill . . . Blech!!!! Can you only imagine the horrifying experience you would get trying to melt a peep over a campfire? :scared:

And I can't believe that they sell a decorating kit for them now. Ohhhh, my stomach is turning.

But, the nastiest thing I ever did with a peep, besides eat it . . . My brother had a strong affection for the little buggers, so I saved a package for over a year and then gave it to him. Do you know that they were still soft and whatnot. He claimed that they were like manna from heaven. Yuk.

The other thing I did . . . Hung them from little strings (around thier necks) in someone's dorm room. Man, I'm on the weirdo side. :D

mdin
03-29-2005, 10:10 AM
But, the nastiest thing I ever did with a peep, besides eat it . . . My brother had a strong affection for the little buggers, so I saved a package for over a year and then gave it to him. Do you know that they were still soft and whatnot. He claimed that they were like manna from heaven. Yuk.

I used to work at a certain drugstore many, many moons ago. There I learned Peeps have a shelf life of three easter seasons. The ones that don't sell during the after-Easter clearance are boxed up and re-shelved in February of next year.

sgtsdaughter
03-29-2005, 10:16 AM
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww!http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/water.gif i'm never touchin' those again . . .

Birol
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
But like a child who's been warned off booze, I clicked in the kindly posted link, credit card in hand to order, but they won't ship outside the US!!

And I should know better, I've been to the US and yes, when it comes to sweets it's all very sugary with a slightly flammable flavour.

But I still want one!!

Nivvie, I'm sitting here debating if I should offer to see if I can find any in the stores and send them to you if you really, really want one. The thing is, you seem like such a nice person, I'd hate to be the one to inflict them on you.

Nivvie
03-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Nivvie, I'm sitting here debating if I should offer to see if I can find any in the stores and send them to you if you really, really want one. The thing is, you seem like such a nice person, I'd hate to be the one to inflict them on you.

Err, yeah, I'm a nice person, suuuure I am, hehehe.

But yes!
Send me a Peep and I'll send you the UK's answer to Easter novelty, the sugary joy that is a Cadbury's Creme Eggs.

My dentist always give me a load of:Lecture:, which surprises me as without the likes of me she wouldn't have that new car!!

mdin
03-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Unfortunately, like the Teletubbies, Cadbury Creme Eggs have invaded the US. They are just as common as Peeps.

Richard
03-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Creme Eggs aren't the Easter novelty, those are Mini Eggs. And nice.

Nivvie
03-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately, like the Teletubbies, Cadbury Creme Eggs have invaded the US. They are just as common as Peeps.

Cool!!

Work's threatening to send me there for a short while, so that will save room in the suitcase.
The sad thing is, I'm not joking.
When they disappear form the shops for while each year I go to the Cadbury outlet store and get some old ones in bulk.
Oh dear, I think I shared too much....

Rob-rite
03-29-2005, 05:32 PM
The only 'peeps' I'd heard of was brit comedian Harry Enfield's turkish kebab-shop owner Stavros saying: "Khello evry-body peeps!"

Nivvie
03-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Uh oh...flashbacks...

Nivvie
03-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Was there a song?

Oh no wait, that was Loadsamoney.

allion
03-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Cool!!

Work's threatening to send me there for a short while, so that will save room in the suitcase.
The sad thing is, I'm not joking.
When they disappear form the shops for while each year I go to the Cadbury outlet store and get some old ones in bulk.
Oh dear, I think I shared too much....

Nivvie, I am officially jealous of you - a Cadbury outlet?!?

Ok, so I really need to go back to the UK for a visit and stuff my suitcase with chocolate treats. You guys have the best snacks over there.

Karen

Alphabeter
03-29-2005, 09:51 PM
I bit the head off of chocolate bunny.

I drank the alcohol inside.

I stuff the peep back in and licked the head (minus the ears) in place.

I gave it to my under-age brother.

He ate it.

Dawno
03-29-2005, 09:55 PM
I bit the head off of chocolate bunny.

I drank the alcohol inside.

I stuff the peep back in and licked the head (minus the ears) in place.

I gave it to my under-age brother.

He ate it.

I'm pretty sure that the Just Born company that makes Peeps (tm) doesn't make any alcohol filled confections. I know their candy looks like something you'd see during the DT's, but...just sayin' ;)

Alphabeter
03-29-2005, 10:03 PM
The peep was sober.

The bunny was not.

Made by a completely different different who speciality is "adult" candies. {Read-lots of hollow things with alcohol in them}

Birol
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
Err, yeah, I'm a nice person, suuuure I am, hehehe.

But yes!
Send me a Peep and I'll send you the UK's answer to Easter novelty, the sugary joy that is a Cadbury's Creme Eggs.

My dentist always give me a load of:Lecture:, which surprises me as without the likes of me she wouldn't have that new car!!

Nivvie, I was in the evil corporate conglomerate otherwise known as Wal-Mart this evening and the Peeps were already missing from the shelves. If I get the chance, I will check the grocery tomorrow.

Nivvie
03-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Nivvie, I was in the evil corporate conglomerate otherwise known as Wal-Mart this evening and the Peeps were already missing from the shelves. If I get the chance, I will check the grocery tomorrow.

So people must buy them then.....hmmmm....I think this is an evil American plot to make the world think you all hate these things but really they are your secret weapon for the world, and one day we will all be at the mercy of these peeps, and you'll all be doing that villainous mwuhahaha! laugh....or maybe I should finally realise that working nights is rotting my brain....

Rob-rite
03-30-2005, 06:59 PM
mwuhahaha!

Isn't that how George Bush laughs anyway?