PDA

View Full Version : PublishAmerica and Reaganville

newmillguitar
03-16-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

As another scammed author, and as a new author and not a businessperson, I signed a contract with PA.
I am well read and literary, I write in a very musical style as I am a classical music composer, and see form differently than a writer, so my novel, Reaganville, is not grandma's memoirs or a soldier's tale, cookbook or how to plumb your own house on a homeless person's budget. It is a literary novel.
I wrote a novel so poetic in the prologue and elsewhere, that on a website devoted to mystery writers, they yelled and screamed at my excerpt, said it was unreadable and forced me off. This is a testimony to the cogency and revolution of the metaphor and language. As I said to them, men yell at it; women want to seduce me when they read it. The prologue is called "A Man's Heart is like a Metropolis."
Five years of diminution went into this novel. I shrank from life in a way. I was married and became not. I lost my job, I Internet dated to fill in the void, I culled the past, I dug into my upbringing, I invented legend, there were times that I ate pills to read what I had written, it was a something that I never expected since music was my language, but I realized that, in music, you can't say things like "I want to die in a way that is natural and in the color of velvet."
With my Reaganville I began to try to get agented. As a first time writer, with no connections I got no answers to my requests that someone just read the god damned thing, and god did damn me to write it. So here was PublishAmerica, as they contend, "just like a traditional publisher." You know the rest of the story.
I will be suing them for a slew of things you all know about, crackhead editing and them not using the proper PDF, deception, fraud and the possible ruination of my first novel. Have an attorney in Maryland now and we begin.
I want to warn you people considering PA and hello!

Mel
03-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Hello and Welcome to AW! :welcome:

Check this link PublishAmerica (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=115). You will see, as you scroll through, there are other threads that warn against PA.

underthecity
03-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow. When Reaganville does get legitimately published, I want to read it.

allen

James D. Macdonald
03-16-2008, 11:41 PM
As a first time writer, with no connections ....

That's where darned-near every author you've ever heard of started.

Here's what to do:

1) Send it out 'til Hell won't have it.
2) Write more.
3) Repeat.

Khazarkhum
03-17-2008, 12:45 AM
That's where darned-near every author you've ever heard of started.

Here's what to do:

1) Send it out 'til Hell won't have it.
2) Write more.
3) Repeat.

I'd also add: Look at the small press listings, as they don't all require agents. And be prepared to wait. A lot.

IceCreamEmpress
03-17-2008, 01:05 AM
Well, I applaud you for taking action against a business that you feel treated you shoddily. Good luck with that.

And what James D. Macdonald says is true: almost every successful novelist lacked "connections" when he or she began. The Carol Higgins Clarks, Joe Hills, and Andre Dubus IIIs of the world are the exception, rather than the rule (and all three are fine writers in their own right as well!)

DaveKuzminski
03-17-2008, 04:45 AM
Be sure you let other writers on this board know the name of your attorney. Some may want to provide evidence or testimony, particularly those who reside close by. Others may even want to use his services, especially when you win. ;)

If your attorney needs more evidence, have him contact me at prededitors@att.net.

Hi, Vic. Just helping you with job security at PA.

CatSlave
03-17-2008, 04:56 AM
:welcome: Welcome to AW, home of the free, the almost-free, the wanna be free and the brave.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

And I expect there will be a number of folks here that will want to know the name of your attorney.
Keep us posted, please.

JimmyD1318
03-17-2008, 06:14 AM
:welcome:Hi there! Welcome to AW! This is a wonderful place to learn and hang out. Everyone here can tell you that I am the POPCORN MONSTER and the first bag of POPCORN here is on me. Here you go!:popcorn: Enjoy! Keep us posted on what happens.

donroc
03-17-2008, 07:14 AM
Welcome and enjoy. It can be done.

overfiend
03-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Welcome to the club and be aware that the nightmare known as PA ends someday soon for everybody.

Bajangirl
04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I would love to hear our the suit goes. I am about to enter into a legal suit with Pa myself. PLEASE someone shut the down ASAP, so that my book can be release from captivuty. Good Luck!!!!

Sparhawk
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
I will be suing them for a slew of things you all know about, crackhead editing and them not using the proper PDF, deception, fraud and the possible ruination of my first novel. Have an attorney in Maryland now and we begin.
I want to warn you people considering PA and hello!

Uhm... not to be a downer... but if you signed with Fortress Frederick are you not bound by persuing Arbitration? I thought this was the reason wronged PA authors couldn't sue right away. I do remember that one clause in my PA contract. It was a few years ago so maybe they've changed things.

Anyhow, welcome to AW and I'm sorry for what you've been through with PA. You are not alone.

Sparhawk
04-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Be sure you let other writers on this board know the name of your attorney. Some may want to provide evidence or testimony, particularly those who reside close by. Others may even want to use his services, especially when you win. ;)

If your attorney needs more evidence, have him contact me at prededitors@att.net.

Hi, Vic. Just helping you with job security at PA.

Dave, dude....

You must be giving Vic ulcers. That guy must have a P&E dartboard in his office.

LloydBrown
04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Over a month with no return and no discussion in any other threads. I'm afraid this one's a drive-by book-pimping, folks.

CACTUSWENDY
04-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Khazarkhum
04-22-2008, 05:13 AM
Hi Everyone,
I wrote a novel so poetic in the prologue and elsewhere, that on a website devoted to mystery writers, they yelled and screamed at my excerpt, said it was unreadable and forced me off. This is a testimony to the cogency and revolution of the metaphor and language. As I said to them, men yell at it; women want to seduce me when they read it. The prologue is called "A Man's Heart is like a Metropolis."
Five years of diminution went into this novel. I shrank from life in a way. I was married and became not. I lost my job, I Internet dated to fill in the void, I culled the past, I dug into my upbringing, I invented legend, there were times that I ate pills to read what I had written, it was a something that I never expected since music was my language, but I realized that, in music, you can't say things like "I want to die in a way that is natural and in the color of velvet."

Realistically, if you were an agent and this crossed your desk, what would your reply be?

A I gotta have it!

B No thanks, not for me

C Looks like someone's off his meds again

D I need a drink. Pass that gin, Miss Snark!

IceCreamEmpress
04-22-2008, 05:37 AM
The "show don't tell" maxim also applies to how impossibly great and world-changing one's book is.

Khazarkhum
04-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Not just great, but so great as to alter the course of grammar itself!

How does one die in the "color of velvet"? :Shrug:

newmillguitar
08-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Realistically, if you were an agent and this crossed your desk, what would your reply be?

A I gotta have it!

I have to read it beyond the samples of a book I take. It doesn't conform to a book found at Target.

B No thanks, not for me

Sure, I got this when an agent read it and it didn't conform to a book found at Target

C Looks like someone's off his meds again

If I was medicated I'd be writing genre fiction

D I need a drink. Pass that gin, Miss Snark!

Who is Miss Snark? A catch person for some kind of publishing behavior?

Legally, in the State of California, if a resident of CA has been defrauded then a case can be filed in CA. I have a legal service and am taking the course that is recommended by a "head." I did speak to a contract guy and this is not the way to go.
Since I spoke of legal action many PA authors have contacted me asking if I was still getting together a class action. No. I'm just wanting my rights to print back. Mine, not theirs. I am not without sympathy for them, hell I know what they're going through.
I won't blame this in my wife but she was adamant that I get a publisher now (then). I knew my novel was so groovy that it didn't matter. Cursory examination of PA did attest to their "traditional publisher" moniker. Good enough for a literary genius such as myself.
I am my favorite moron!

newmillguitar
08-03-2008, 10:20 PM
How does one die in the color of velvet?

You can't in genre fiction but in literary fiction you can die in the color of odoriferous.

newmillguitar
08-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Over a month with no return and no discussion in any other threads. I'm afraid this one's a drive-by book-pimping, folks.

Don't buy my ficking book! People have lives. So I don't post until I've cleaned up my wife's sub-prime loan, as much as I can, get some compositions finished, write on my next two novels, feed and take care of my children everyday, wipe my arse with quality responses like this, go to whatever job I can find in Bush's America and then I'll respond.

If you buy my book, as long as it is published by PA, you'll be doing me a great disservice. I MEAN THAT LIKE I MEAN TO LIVE! Are you a mystery writer or watch Law and Order re-runs? Boy, don't say those kinds of things when you don't know who you're talking to or you might be construed as a political pundit/hack. Things aren't what they appear and as much as I like the quality of the posts here, I don't flatten my ass surfing the Internet for anything until I'm doggedly onto something. And today, for an hour, I'm at Absolute Write, probably the best place to be until your post.

Bartholomew
08-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Here's hoping you win your lawsuit. May you become the new owner of their fire InkJet printers.

NewMill -what sort of music do you write? I'm always looking for someone to do duets with.

Momento Mori
08-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi, newmillguitar and welcome back to AW.

newmillguitar:
Who is Miss Snark? A catch person for some kind of publishing behavior

She's an NY-based agent who used to run a blog that gave advice on the publishing industry, how agents worked and what they did and she also used to give fantastic critiques of query letters sent in by those brave enough to take her snark. She was very 'no holds barred' and since she decided to hang up her keyboard, she is missed by a lot of people.

Her blog is still available for perusal here (http://misssnark.blogspot.com/) and I think it's well worth the time taking a look through it.

MM

kullervo
08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
She is also fairly widely believed to be:

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/

Who runs a query-crit blog as well:

http://queryshark.blogspot.com/

newmillguitar
08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Here's hoping you win your lawsuit. May you become the new owner of their fire InkJet printers.

Gods, don't you hate em'?

NewMill -what sort of music do you write? I'm always looking for someone to do duets with.

Hybrid classical music. What instrument do you perform with?

newmillguitar
08-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Hi, newmillguitar and welcome back to AW.

She's an NY-based agent who used to run a blog that gave advice on the publishing industry, how agents worked and what they did and she also used to give fantastic critiques of query letters sent in by those brave enough to take her snark. She was very 'no holds barred' and since she decided to hang up her keyboard, she is missed by a lot of people.

Her blog is still available for perusal here (http://misssnark.blogspot.com/) and I think it's well worth the time taking a look through it.

MM

I think I did run into her blog once or twice.
One thing got my goat on this blog; someone accusing me of hawking my book here. So, I am prostituting my daughter? I already did with PA and I am fighting to get her back. They must know how impassioned and defensive a mother can get, and in this I am more of a mother than a father because it is like a biological imperative to get my book back. How dare a publishing company lie and scandalize an author. Scandalize is simply guilt by association.
I'll admit, I am expletive and passioned talking about any of my creative work. It appeals mostly to women; men I think, when another man gets this way another man may actually think it is dishonest or something?
I am a man, but maybe a throwback romantic in my behavior and men are just fodder for the American grist mill, stripped of their emotional exposition and sharpened for piercing. The guy accusing me of hawking is a "business" writer. What the hell is that anyway? Journalism? That's okay, I do that but in, once again, an impassioned way about the arts, mostly music. Reaganville is impassioned social commentary.

Toothpaste
08-04-2008, 08:17 PM
newmillguitar - I can understand your reaction, you weren't here simply to hawk your work and so were offended when accused of it. But you must see it from our perspective. This forum is for writers. For that reason a lot of spam artists (be they a company, or an individual author) come here, post a few posts and then suddenly they are telling us to buy their book. Then they vanish and never come back again. It's what's sometimes called a drive by spaming. Basically they aren't interested in participating in this community, only using it to sell their work. It shows a great disrespect to everyone here. And it happens all the time.

So when someone comes in, and appears to do the same thing, that is the conclusion drawn. Now you had things you had to do with your life, you didn't have time to post here, and when you came back you found people thinking you were trying to "prostitute your daughter" as it were. So I understand your visceral response. But surely then, you can appreciate our visceral response. We don't like feeling used any more than you like being attack of using.

It was a misunderstanding. But don't start mud slinging and insulting LloydBrown who truly believed you were behaving like those other spam artists (by questioning his job and abilities as you did in the last post). He had no evidence to the contrary until your return yesterday.

And please don't insult the people who do post here often (you talked of having a life outside the internet implying we didn't). It's a common misconception, which I suppose could be drawn because some find posting here time consuming. Others like myself just keep popping in over the course of the day, while also writing, editing, going over proofs, doing readings, exercising, seeing friends and family, going to the countryside, going for auditions and performing in shows, etc. Posting at AW does not take a big chunk out of my day at all. Oddly some of the most prolific posters here are some of the individuals dealing with very active lives.

Anyway, I hope that explains the response, and possibly now that you came back we can let bygones be bygones and start afresh.

Oh and welcome to AW btw!