PDA

View Full Version : NYC Police Radio Protocol

hammerklavier
03-16-2008, 06:46 PM
I've been reading up on NYC police, protocols, radio protocol, etc. and searching this forum but am still stuck on this one scene. The back story to the scene is a bit complex so I'll stick to what my detective knows.

He was going along with another detective to meet an informant who promised a tip on a case he's working (he's out of his own precinct). They're walking down the street when he hears the pop of a handgun with silencer behind him. They both draw their weapons and turn. He faces a man aiming a gun at him. The gunman gets tripped up because he's grappling with a citizen. The detectives fire their weapons and kill the gunman. The citizen now yells out some information about the case indicating the murderer they are looking for is in Jersey. The detective now grabs his radio and tells dispatch something along the lines of:

Officers fired on, suspect killed.
Possible injury to civilian. Witness for questioning.
By the way, we'll be going to Jersey.

They've already involved the feds in this case so there'll probably be a joint FBI/Jersey police operation to try and get the villan.

What do you think? I've picked out some likely 10-codes, but am not sure what their status is in NYC.

Also, how would the detecive identify himself to dispatch?

Craig Gosse
03-16-2008, 07:10 PM
I've been reading up on NYC police, protocols, radio protocol, etc. and searching this forum but am still stuck on this one scene. The back story to the scene is a bit complex so I'll stick to what my detective knows.

He was going along with another detective to meet an informant who promised a tip on a case he's working (he's out of his own precinct). They're walking down the street when he hears the pop of a handgun with silencer behind him. They both draw their weapons and turn. He faces a man aiming a gun at him. The gunman gets tripped up because he's grappling with a citizen. The detectives fire their weapons and kill the gunman. The citizen now yells out some information about the case indicating the murderer they are looking for is in Jersey. The detective now grabs his radio and tells dispatch something along the lines of:

Officers fired on, suspect killed.
Possible injury to civilian. Witness for questioning.
By the way, we'll be going to Jersey.

They've already involved the feds in this case so there'll probably be a joint FBI/Jersey police operation to try and get the villan.

What do you think? I've picked out some likely 10-codes, but am not sure what their status is in NYC.

Also, how would the detecive identify himself to dispatch?

For the sake of realism, I would suggest learning the 'correct procedure' - and then breaking it. Research can give you 'The Book'; very few people are 'By The Book' on the street.

Not that I imply the sort of free-wheeling, break-all-the-rules type two-dimensional character you see in some movies. It's simply that experience teaches one when to follow 'The Book' to the letter, and when not too.

(As an aside, when interviewing local police officers for my own research, that was a common 'complaint' about newly-minted officers, who lacked real-life experience but didn't know it.)

I would suggest you may want to take a look at this forum: I've found it very helpful in the past:

http://forums.realpolice.net/archive/index.php?t-3821.html

dpaterso
03-16-2008, 07:10 PM
They're just going to shoot off to Jersey before a squad car arrives? What they need is backup and medical assistance, no? Humble suggestion (with random name/precinct examples, and assuming your 'tec doesn't have a recognized callsign):

"This is Detective Smith, 34th Precinct. Officers fired upon, suspect down, street address. Request patrol car backup and ambulance."

That request covers an injured civilian and a witness pickup.

-Derek

hammerklavier
03-17-2008, 05:12 PM
ok, I guess I'll have to go with normal speak.