I have an "offer"

steph804

Registered
Reaction score
I am hoping to get some direction here. I have submitted a "journal" type of book (best way I can describe it) and have received a letter with terms etc in it. I have no idea if what they are offering is fair or reasonable, what the next step is, if I should wait to hear from the company I was more comfortable with....never thought I'd get this and was already looking at self-publishing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Stephanie

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW.

Without some information there is no way anyone here can give you any help.
You might want to add the facts necessary to aid you in your finding the input you desire.

steph804

Registered
Reaction score
WOW - Thanks

the publisher is Running Press out of Philadelphia

The journal is a women's (with a men's being mailed in next week) journal, directed towards women maybe 18-60? It is a detailed diary of medical and personal health info. A place to record meds, tests, results, history etc.

I am waiting to hear back from one other company and have sent an email to let them know that I have a positive response from RP.

I am sorry, this is not a true "book", something you would sit and read, although there are stories writing, and suggestions in it.

I am not looking for fame and fortune, but I don't want to accept something and then find out that I was taken. I got my response in a little under 5 weeks so I have the impression that it is a good idea????

My head is spinning!!!!

The letter I got states "I am pleased to make you the following offer, $2000 advance against a royalty rate of 4% on amts up to 20,000, 5% of amts rec'd thereafter, for World rights (all languages) with 50-50 splits on sub-rights."

Thanks Again!!!
Steph

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Congratulations, Steph!

I was pretty sure I'd heard of Running Press, and a quick google search shows it is an imprint of Perseus Books, which is a major publisher.

I'm not familiar with the typical advance/ royalties, etc. for a book of the type you describe. (It's a workbook or "tool" someone would use, I gather.)

It is not unheard of for someone to get an agent after receiving an offer from a publisher, for just this reason, help in negotiating a contract.

I bet someone with more experience will weigh in soon!

Again, congratulations.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Although there doesn't seem to be a question about the legitimacy of Running Press, you might post your question in one of the other AW subforums, like "Bewares and Background Checks" or "Roundtable." You might get more of a response to your question.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, go the Bewares and Background Check. People who might know more than me about workbooks, etc., keep an eye on that forum. You'll probably get some good advice from some very knowledgable people.

steph804

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all the info... I will venture into the Beware section.

Again thank you and let me know if anyone thinks of anything else

Steph