PDA

View Full Version : To all who entered the WotC open call

Pages : [1] 2

dragonjax
03-27-2005, 05:42 AM
To anyone who entered in the Wizards of the Coast Open Call, which ended March 1, 2005: as an FYI, I e-mailed Peter Archer, asking him how many entries they received, and what the timing was on contacting the finalists, given that they want to launch the new line in 2006. He replied that they received 400 entries, and they hope to "announce something" in "a couple of months."

WVWriterGirl
03-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks, Jax! 'Preciate the new info. I entered, and was wondering about what was happening.

WVWG
:)

NicoleJLeBoeuf
03-27-2005, 09:45 AM
Ditto what WVWriterGirl said. I've got a book proposal in that slush pile, too.

Super useful info, Jax. Thank you!

dragonjax
03-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Glad to share what I've learned...and super glad that I'm not the only one here waiting to see what's going to happen. Anyone else doing the nail-biting thing?

Hummingbird
04-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Wizards of the Coast does books? Isn't that the company that sends out all the card games? :Huh: (I feel lost... LOL)

dhenderson002
04-09-2005, 09:21 PM
I have a book sitting in that pile as well, and though I am not particularly worried, I am a little anxious to see how it goes.

Anyone else here submit science fiction?

dragonjax
04-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Wizards of the Coast does books? Isn't that the company that sends out all the card games? :Huh: (I feel lost... LOL)
I'm pretty sure Wizards is part of Hasbro. And yes, very big on gaming (D&D, for example) and trading cards for gaming purposes, but also a publisher in its own right. Dragonlance, for example.

The really big deal about this particular open call, for me, is that the writers of the winning manuscripts (yes, plural -- Wizards is looking to buy a few stories, although only one will be the winner of the open call and get all the yummy promotion and launch the new line) get to keep their own copyrights. This is a first for Wizards.

dragonjax
04-10-2005, 04:05 AM
I have a book sitting in that pile as well, and though I am not particularly worried, I am a little anxious to see how it goes.

Anyone else here submit science fiction?

Heh, while I'm not worried per se, I am just as anxious as the next person. Here's hoping that we get some news in the next couple of weeks!

And nope, my entry was for a contemporary fantasy.

Hummingbird
04-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Thanks Dragonjax! That's so cool!

Oh, that sounds like fun! I'm not going to enter, but I saw the thread and was curious. Good luck everybody! :Cheer:

Pencilone
04-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks for posting this Dragonjax!

My submission is contemporary fantasy too.
Best of Luck to Everyone!:Sun:
Pencilone

dragonjax
04-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Good luck everybody! :Cheer:
Thanks, Hummingbird! I'm sure I speak for all the WotCOC entrants here that if any of us make it to the finals, we'll be announcing it to everyone we've ever met. (And, in my case, stopping strangers in the street.)

:hooray:

Pencilone
04-23-2005, 10:43 AM
Has anyone any good news to share?:popcorn:

dragonjax
05-02-2005, 02:22 AM
Haven't heard anything yet. But Wizards just announced the two winners of their Magic: The Gathering Open Call, which ended on January 1, 2005, for publication in 2006 and 2007. So maybe the winner of the new line will be announced in two months' time. Which means that the ten finalists should be contacted within the next few weeks. At least, that's my guess.

Heh, you want a true guess? The finalists will be phoned on Monday, May 9, 2005.

Let's see if it's time for me to hand in my Magic 8 Ball...

Good luck, everyone!

Gogonith
05-14-2005, 12:11 PM
I, too, entered the Open Call with a novel (sword & sorcery). Haven't heard a thing more current than what's posted in this thread....

dragonjax
05-18-2005, 10:21 PM
Me, either. And May 9 has come and gone. Guess I should hand in that Magic 8 Ball after all. Alas!

Here's hoping that someone hears something soon...

Pencilone
05-24-2005, 11:40 AM
I noticed yesterday that they have a new announcement on their website:

"Independent Fiction Writer's Guidelines

Submissions are accepted annually between the dates of September 1st and January 1st. Any submissions received outside of that timeframe will be returned unread.

This annual open call is for a speculative fiction imprint that publishes science fiction, fantasy, horror, alternate history, magic realism, or anything in-between. If it can be shelved in the Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror section of your local bookstore, we want it! We're interested both in the first book in a trilogy or longer series as well as stand-alone stories. ...."

see: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/submissions
So from now on, WOTC will accept submssions only between Sep to Jan... Interesting...
I hope that they will still consider the submissions they've already got.

How's eveyone doing?:hi:
I'm still revising and reworking the same novel.

Pencilone

dragonjax
05-25-2005, 04:14 AM
Interesting, Pencilone! I just sent Peter Archer an e-mail message, asking whether the entries from the 2004 open call were still being processed, and when the finalists will be notified. I'll let you know what he says...

:popcorn:

dragonjax
05-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Peter Archer says that they're still reading the entries from the 2004 Open Call, so they're still looking for the launch book as well as a few others that would be appropriate for the new line. He expects to finish reading "sometime late this summer."

Regarding the annual Open Call, he says that because they will need submissions for the new line on an on-going basis, Wizards will have an Open Call annually between September and January; during other times of the year, they are closed to unsolicited submissions.

So, for those of us who entered the 2004 Open Call for new fiction, we need to sit tight until (I'm guessing) August or early September.

Good things come to those who wait...(I hope...)

:Shrug:

Pencilone
05-26-2005, 01:18 AM
Dragonjax, Many thanks for updating us on what it's going on:Thumbs: . It's looks like it's plenty of time to keep rewriting that novel and making it better. I wonder how they would react if they notice a difference between what they have already got in the proposal and the final product (if they ask to see it:hat: ).

I'm totally impressed by the speed with which Peter Archer answers his emails:Jaw: .
All the Best,

Pencilone

dragonjax
05-26-2005, 01:23 AM
I'm totally impressed by the speed with which Peter Archer answers his emails
Me too! The few times that I've e-mailed him over the last few months, he's always gotten back to me within one business day. Very professional, and always informative. :Clap:

Uncletrunx
05-26-2005, 09:54 PM
Thanks for this. I've got a book in there, I assumed I'd have heard something by now (I know, I know!) so I'd pretty much given up on it. Nice to know it's still "live"

I thought the entries would be in the 10,000s and the shortlisted folks would be contacted in March / April?

Or is the 400 the list of books they've decided to shortlist? If so, I'll go back to assuming they didn't like my eforts...

dragonjax
05-27-2005, 01:21 AM
When I first contacted Peter Archer back at the end of March, he replied that there were 400 entries. I had guessed there would be thousands as well. So I guess he's really, really taking his time to read every single entry and give it a chance. At least, that's how I'm getting through the waiting period. :idea:

Uncletrunx
05-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Gotcha. I'll just have to hope he likes my style then...

*Crosses fingers*

LloydBrown
06-04-2005, 04:25 AM
To anyone who entered in the Wizards of the Coast Open Call, which ended March 1, 2005: as an FYI, I e-mailed Peter Archer, asking him how many entries they received, and what the timing was on contacting the finalists, given that they want to launch the new line in 2006. He replied that they received 400 entries, and they hope to "announce something" in "a couple of months."

Do I know you? With a topic like this, I figure there's a good chance you know who I am. That is, if you live in Jax, Florida.

dragonjax
06-04-2005, 06:22 AM
Do I know you? With a topic like this, I figure there's a good chance you know who I am. That is, if you live in Jax, Florida.
Well, I'm a Jax, but I don't live in Jacksonville, FL. Happy to make your acquaintance, Lloyd! I'm just another hopeful who entered the WotC Open Call for Fiction...with a (perhaps annoying) tendency to request information via e-mail from people who may have the answers I'm looking for.

LloydBrown
06-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Well, I'm a Jax, but I don't live in Jacksonville, FL. Happy to make your acquaintance, Lloyd! I'm just another hopeful who entered the WotC Open Call for Fiction...with a (perhaps annoying) tendency to request information via e-mail from people who may have the answers I'm looking for.

Good luck with the entry, then. At least it doesn't have as much competition as the new campaign setting contest had--11,000 entries.

That does lead to an interesting question. I've been advised that a writer's first work should never be in a shared universe. Would this be your first book?

dragonjax
06-05-2005, 04:31 AM
This was my first novel, but the world/setting was all my own. That was the appeal of this particular Open Call to me: my own setting, and I would keep my own copyright ((angels singing here)).

But you know, the thought of hundreds...nay, thousands...of readers reading my stuff, maybe roleplaying characters that I created...well, I have to admit, the God-complex in me gets all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it...

((sigh)) But it's all about the waiting at this point. It's been more than three months since the contest closed. What's another two months?

Uncletrunx
06-22-2005, 12:50 AM
Any news yet?

dragonjax
06-22-2005, 04:13 AM
Nope.

But to be fair, summer just started here in the States. There's a ways to go before the end of the season.

Me, I'm hopeful that we start getting notification before August. Not holding my breath, but still hopeful.

Gogonith
06-23-2005, 12:25 AM
No news from my end, either.

Uncletrunx
07-01-2005, 08:03 PM
I'll continue to sit in hope then.

Certainly more in hope than expectation.

trebuchet
07-02-2005, 02:33 AM
Stop doing this!!!
Every time I see a new posting I get a heart attack!

"Awake, awake!
Fear, fire, foes!
Awake!"

dragonjax
07-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Heh. Sorry. But I had to comment that I LOVE the LOTR quote you've got. "Fear! Fire! Foes! Awake!" Right up there for me with "Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle, and quick to anger." (Replace "wizards" with "editors," and voila, you have a writer's relationship with an editor down perfectly.)

Irysangel
07-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Bump. No news.

(Tee hee)

NicoleJLeBoeuf
07-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Nor here. I echo the sentiments of those who get heart-jitters whenever this thread appears in the "new posts" search. I've *just* gotten to the point where I've stopped kicking myself for not having finished polishing the novel I submitted, and started to resign myself to the need to work on the other novel if I mean to submit it to Delacorte (http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/writingcontests/#youngadult) this fall. It sounds like I'd better split my days between the two manuscripts so that I can hope for good outcomes from both places.

Uncletrunx
07-05-2005, 12:05 AM
I was just getting excited by that Delacorte thing, then I noticed it''s not open to folks outside the USA and Canada.

Bugger!

mdin
07-05-2005, 05:37 AM
I'll send it in for you, Trunx. We'll split it 50/50.

Pencilone
07-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Do you guys think that things are moving here a bit slower than the other open calls from WOTC?

Uncletrunx
07-05-2005, 01:37 PM
I'll send it in for you, Trunx. We'll split it 50/50.
Sounds reasonable.

You do know that 50% of bugger all is still bugger all?

Irysangel
07-05-2005, 03:13 PM
Do you guys think that things are moving here a bit slower than the other open calls from WOTC?

Not necessarily. They've probably got a lot more to deal with on this particular open call than the others. 400 entries is still a pretty good chunk, and I'm sure they're going to vary rather wildly based on the fact that it's open to any SF/F/H rather than just something based on a single game-world. Just my thoughts, but I could be wrong. :)

I am, of course, terribly impatient and would love to hear something ASAP but it's not even been 5 months since the deadline. Most publishers' slush piles are much slower than that.

dragonjax
07-05-2005, 04:40 PM
I agree with Irysangel. Keep in mind that this isn't for an already established line. The winner of this contest will officially kick off a completely new line for Wizards, with all of the marketing and hullabaloo (however it's spelled) that goes along with it. In other words, there's a lot riding on this. So the folks at Wizards may be taking a bit longer to make sure they really, really like the first three chapters and the overall story pace (that spiffy chapter outline we had to submit) before sending out the dreaded rejections and the finalist notifications.

Also, it's not just the one book that will be selected; Peter Archer is looking for a few books to fill the initial line up (although only the winner will get all the promotion, etc). So there's even more to consider.

Something else: this is, I believe, the first time that TSR/Wizards will not own the copyright for the work, so perhaps that has an impact on the pace of review. I'm not a lawyer, so I could be way off the mark on this one.

Anyway, that's my thinking on it. All I know for certain is that I'm eating way too much chocolate and checking my email way too often...

trebuchet
07-06-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm anxious, too, but not impatient. I'm having a terrible time getting a query letter right. I want to get it sent out all over the place asap, so I'll still have hope for the dratted book when the rejection gets here. (Am I right in thinking getting an agent is an ok thing to do during this process? If I were selected for something at WOTC*choke* the agent could just represent me there, right?) So ... take all the time you please, dear editors! And I'll get off the chocoholic wagon.

But I think I'll still keep blowing the horn . . . "fear, fire, foes!"

trebuchet
07-06-2005, 03:16 AM
I've *just* gotten to the point where I've stopped kicking myself for not having finished polishing the novel I submitted, and started to resign myself to the need to work on the other novel if I mean to submit it to Delacorte (http://www.randomhouse.com/kids/writingcontests/#youngadult) this fall.

I know what you mean. I thought I'd have mine completely ready two months ago (I promised my husband too, ugh) but I gave it up for awhile and now I've rethought how the first three chapters should go and think that what I submitted sucks and is all wrong.

This is how my mind works. It drives everyone who knows me insane.

dragonjax
07-06-2005, 04:39 AM
(Am I right in thinking getting an agent is an ok thing to do during this process? If I were selected for something at WOTC*choke* the agent could just represent me there, right?)
Margaret Weis -- yes, that Margaret Weis -- mentioned to me in passing that it would be a good idea to look for an agent while your work is being considered by WotC. That way, should WotC make you an offer, you then have an agent ready to negotiate.

But no worries; if you don't have an agent yet (I don't, either), I'm pretty sure that should WotC tell you that you're a winner, you could effectively call any fantasy agent, explain the situation, and have that person negotiate the contract (usually for a lower commission than as if s/he'd placed the manuscript for you).

Hmmm. Nothing from WotC yet. Where's my chocolate?

ap0110
07-14-2005, 11:37 AM
I noticed that WOTC posted their new open call (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/submissions) and since you fine folks seem to have some experience with open submissions, I thought you could answer a question or 3 for me.

I'm a little confused about the process for submitting to WOTC, especially since Writer's Guide doesn't mention these open call windows. Does one submit work based on an original world or a shared world like "Forgotten Realms"? Is submission to a shared world limited to a particular open call? For example, will they post a call specifically for Greyhawk novels? What about Magic: The Gathering? Since those coincide with the release of card sets, it looks like they're handled differently.

I'm so confused. Can anyone explain WOTC to me? They're not like other publishers at all.

thanks
- Justin the newbie

Pencilone
07-14-2005, 12:41 PM
From what I see at a glace, they are now more specific about the number of pages allowed in the synopsis. I think that time is running out now and we'll hear of a decision soon (maybe the chosen ones know it already?). Over the past few weeks and over the next few weeks I'll have no time at all to work on my novel (holiday commitments), and the story has changed a lot on the good side since I submitted it. Anyway, my husband said that if it gets picked by WOTC, he would expect to see aliens in the back garden:tongue :mad: !

Justin, the independent fiction line is different in that we get to use our own world, instead of other worlds like in Forgotten Realms, etc.

dragonjax
07-14-2005, 09:40 PM
All I know is that last week I had an epiphany and rewrote the first 50 pages. So now the entry I sent in at the end of February is completely different from the updated version. Gah.

ap0110
07-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Justin, the independent fiction line is different in that we get to use our own world, instead of other worlds like in Forgotten Realms, etc.
I think the thing that's confusing me is this line from the latest open call (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/submissions)

While we are not necessarily looking for new fiction settings as we were in the search that culminated in the release of the Eberron™ setting, we do look at every novel submission with that in mind.
This makes it sound like they'll take the Forgotten Realms novel but they'll also take a totally new setting, as well.

So what if I wanted to write a Forgotten Realms book? Could I submit that at any time or only during an open call such as this one? Or is there a separate one for each shared world?

Thanks for the help. Newbie out.

Uncletrunx
07-20-2005, 12:31 AM
All I know is that last week I had an epiphany and rewrote the first 50 pages. So now the entry I sent in at the end of February is completely different from the updated version. Gah.
I'm so glad it's not just me that's done this! Mine isn't the beginning, but I have revised the end so that it's "better" in my opinion. However, I dread them wanting it, then rejecting it because it isn't what I originally promised.

Let's face it though, It's a 400 - 1 shot at best and there are going to be a hell of a lot of good writers in there.

dragonjax
07-20-2005, 06:39 AM
True. Still, I'm not holding my breath. Don't get me wrong, my fingers are still crossed tightly. Hell, they're practically glued together. But the breath-holding thing? Not so much...

Uncletrunx
07-25-2005, 06:27 PM
For my submission, I bashed chapters one and two together, as I'm particularly pleased with chapter four and wanted them to see it!

Well, one and two were short...

Of course, now I'm having to compile my definitive version and make sure that I've merged them in that version too...

Why can't I stop fiddling!?

dragonjax
07-26-2005, 05:01 AM
Oh my God, I think you and I wrote the same book...

Well, we're getting closer to the "end of the summer." Wonder when notifications will start going out? Any guesses? :popcorn:

Uncletrunx
07-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Soon, I hope.

I want to know, even if it's the inevitable rejection.

Just let me know!

WVWriterGirl
07-30-2005, 05:25 AM
I'm just hoping I'm being considered at all. I waited to the last second (*Bonk self* bad WVWG, bad WVWG *bonk self*) and had to FedEx my submission in. I sent an email to Peter Archer to ask if my sub would be considered, and I got a sort of cagey answer. Cross the fingers of that other hand for me, Jax. Let's hope I'm even in the running.

WVWG

dragonjax
07-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Given how long it's taking PA (yikes about those initials!) to go through the 400 subs, I wouldn't worry.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!

Uncletrunx
07-31-2005, 10:22 PM
Indeed, good luck to all.

Wish they'd hurry up...

dragonjax
08-13-2005, 04:08 AM
...nothing. Nada. Zip. ((sigh))

Anyone hear anything yet?

Pencilone
08-15-2005, 07:28 PM
Hi Guys,
I've just come back from a 3 week holiday and I see that still there are no news...
Anyone got anything?
Best,
Pencilone

NicoleJLeBoeuf
08-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Not I. And glad of it. Editing frantically as we speak!

(Got two rejections this very weekend on short stories, though. Since bad news comes in threes, I'm mentally preparing myself.)

dhenderson002
08-21-2005, 10:53 PM
Let's face it though, It's a 400 - 1 shot at best and there are going to be a hell of a lot of good writers in there.

Actually, they are saying they will publish up to 10 novels from this call. That makes it a one in 40 chance. That's pretty good.

NicoleJLeBoeuf
08-22-2005, 12:09 AM
(Got two rejections this very weekend on short stories, though. Since bad news comes in threes, I'm mentally preparing myself.)Whoops. There's the third rejection letter. But it wasn't WOTC. It was a contest I had submitted to that had apparently discontinued itself without updating the call-for-entries webpage.

I have to wonder whether those full manuscripts that get requested will at all be marked down, so to speak, for differing from the synopses. Because as I edit this sucker, the chapter outline is starting to morph.

I understand that in regular novel submission circumstances, this isn't that much of a big deal?

LloydBrown
08-22-2005, 12:09 AM
Actually, they are saying they will publish up to 10 novels from this call. That makes it a one in 40 chance. That's pretty good.

Three tries for that? You having a bad day?

Pencilone
08-22-2005, 12:26 AM

That's if they like 10 novels enough to publish them.

There's also the possibility that they don't like any (or less than 10). I don't know why, but lately I cannot stop thinking that maybe they have not chosen any of the submissions. But don't worry, that's only me being pessimistic! Where's the chocolate?...:popcorn:

Irysangel
08-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Look at the bright side. It's almost the end of summer, right? Those rejections should come rolling in any day now...

(eagerly awaiting mine here so I can add it to the wall o' rejections)

dragonjax
08-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I keep thinking that today something's going to happen. ((sigh))

The postal carrier will be here in a few hours. Gotta get ready to bolt down to the mailbox. Because you know, the faster you grab the mail, the more likely you are to have an acceptance letter, right? :)

Mohan
08-22-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't want to open a can of worms here, but wasn't the WotC a "work for hire" deal? I seem to recall this and didn't want to give up my rights to the work I created.

Then again: Finding a publisher for my current work has been akin to banging my head against the wall. :/

dragonjax
08-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Usually, yes. But with this new line, the author holds onto the copyright; it's not a work-for-hire situation but instead it's along the line of a more traditional publisher/author relationship.

direkobold
08-22-2005, 07:33 PM
I talked to Peter Archer at GenCon, and this is what he said. They're starting to send out requests to certain people to see more, and they're going to start sending out rejections pretty soon as well, so there are some that they definitely want to see more of and some that they definitely don't want, BUT... they're still reading and there's a lot of stuff they haven't read yet or read enough to make a decision one way or the other. I guess the upshot is, that until you get the rejection letter you can more or less assume that they're still considering your stuff.

dragonjax
08-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Wow, thanks for that post! Of course, now I'm making sure that my cell phone is with me at all times. And I'm walking to my mailbox with more of a sense of dread than before...

Pencilone
08-22-2005, 11:55 PM
One thing is for sure: each time I hear the phone ring, I'm sure I have a heart attack!:)

Phoenix Fury
08-23-2005, 02:40 AM
Can I take it, then, that they are calling people to accept and mailing letters to reject? Or are they mailing both acceptance and rejection letters? Does anyone know?

P.F.

dragonjax
08-23-2005, 03:01 AM
I'd heard or read somewhere that Peter was going to call the finalists. But I could be misremembering. All I know is that if I don't hear anything by Labor Day, I'm going to have a massive coronary.

Irysangel
08-23-2005, 06:38 AM
Huh. I would have thought they'd send letters out, but they * could * be calling people if they're wanting manuscripts ASAP. My guess is that they've got a pile of 'definites' that they want requests on, and are going through the 'maybes' right now.

I'm sure agented entries get a phone call too. Alas, I'm not one of those so I'll just keep waiting for my letter. ;)

dragonjax
08-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Hooray! Another day that I've survived the Arrival of Snail Mail! No form rejection today (via snail mail)! CELEBRATE!

:Clap:

Irysangel
08-30-2005, 06:43 AM
You've made it another week, Jax!

How many more do you think it'll take? I'm laying odds on 4. Who wants to take me up on a bet? ;)

Pencilone
08-30-2005, 11:23 AM
I'll say one week and someone is going to get the call (the rejection letter will take much longer, depending on location). I've looked into my magic bowl and that's what it said.:) :) :)

dragonjax
08-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah, I'm guessing that Tuesday, September 6, is going to be The Day Of Phone Calls. And Friday, September 9 will be the Black Day of Rejection Slips.

But hey, what do I know? I originally guessed we'd be hearing something in May. Silly me...

dhenderson002
09-02-2005, 11:04 PM
Three tries for that? You having a bad day?

Bad day, strange week, cool nightmares.
Sometimes I think I am too slow in the head to get these things to work right. However, since this is only my third post anywhere ever, maybe there is hope.

Thanks for the news everyone, if they are sending letters out, I might want to finish the book.

Uncletrunx
09-05-2005, 05:04 PM
I still await any news. I'm wondering how they'll contact me as I'm in the UK.

My bet is using the stamped envelope I gave them, with a letter saying "sorry, no."

I'm an optimist, me!

dragonjax
09-06-2005, 05:28 AM
I heard that Peter Archer was very sick; I'm not sure of the duration of the illness, but it was serious. This obviously would have had an impact on his ability to pore through the entries.

I'm wishing him good wishes and a speedy recovery. And as of now, I am officially no longer eyeing the mailbox, hoping against hope. When news comes, it comes. (This is the new, serene Dragonjax.)

Uncletrunx
09-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Ah, that would explain the delay. I'll stop looking at the inbox constantly!

I hope he makes a full and rapid recovery.

direkobold
09-07-2005, 08:27 PM
I got my rejection letter yesterday. :( I guess that means I was in the "we definitely don't want to see anything else from this guy" category. There was a number on the envelope, 46, I'm wondering if that's the order it was received. I sent mine in about three weeks before the deadline, so that would make a certain amount of sense, I'm curious what other peoples numbers were and whether they correspond to the order-it-was-received theory.

NicoleJLeBoeuf
09-07-2005, 09:01 PM
I got my rejection letter yesterday. :( I guess that means I was in the "we definitely don't want to see anything else from this guy" category.Oh, now, I doubt that. I'm sure all it means is, "Definitely not this book." It looks like there will be ongoing submission periods for the open fiction line, and no reason those of us who don't win the flagship contract couldn't continue to submit in the future.

No rejection letter or acceptance phone call here yet, but I'm glad to hear that decisions are coming down now. I'll keep an eye on the mail and let y'all know as soon as I here anything.

Pencilone
09-07-2005, 09:10 PM
direkobolt,

Chin up and don't let it affect you! The new open call is now on, and it'll still be on till 1st of January: all the time to write a new novel:)! And send the current novel somewhere else right away.

At least that's what I indend to do when I get my letter...

Best,

Pencilone

dragonjax
09-08-2005, 05:07 AM
I got my rejection letter yesterday. :( I guess that means I was in the "we definitely don't want to see anything else from this guy" category. There was a number on the envelope, 46, I'm wondering if that's the order it was received. I sent mine in about three weeks before the deadline, so that would make a certain amount of sense, I'm curious what other peoples numbers were and whether they correspond to the order-it-was-received theory.
Bummer, Direkobold. I'm sorry that this particular book wasn't a good fit for WotC. But really, do not equate this with your skill as a writer. All this rejection means is that this particular book didn't resonate with Peter. Period. Maybe it will with Patrick at Tor, or Peter S. at DAW, or Toni at Baen, or...well, you get the idea. Keep on trucking.

As for the number, that's interesting. I'll keep that in mind when I get my letter. :) I sent mine in on February 25 (not that I, like, memorized the date or anything). When I get my letter, I'll post whether there was a number, etc. But if yours was No. 46 out of 400, then yikes, mine must be close to No. 383. Heh. Anyway, I'll let everyone know what number I get.

Uncletrunx
09-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Sorry to hear that, Direkobold. But as everyone said, don't let it kill your enthusiasm. Someone, somewhere will be your perfect audience.

I'm expecting that my letter will take a little longer to arrive, as it has to get to the UK. But there's been no phone call so I'm expecting it. I'll let you know the number when it arrives.

dhenderson002
09-12-2005, 07:32 PM
I got my rejection letter yesterday. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif I guess that means I was in the "we definitely don't want to see anything else from this guy" category. There was a number on the envelope, 46, I'm wondering if that's the order it was received. I sent mine in about three weeks before the deadline, so that would make a certain amount of sense, I'm curious what other peoples numbers were and whether they correspond to the order-it-was-received theory.

I got mine a couple of days ago too. Actually very encouraging to me foe some reasonhttp://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif. It opens up submissions to other places that I am more likely to get this book picked up (i hope). My envelope had no number on it.

I am a real novelist now, though. I have a rejection letter to prove it!!http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

dragonjax
09-13-2005, 07:06 PM
I am a real novelist now, though. I have a rejection letter to prove it!!http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif
Oh my God, I love this quote! This RULES!!! It's the right attitude, and it's damned funny!

:Hail:

dragonjax
09-13-2005, 07:08 PM
Hey, dhenderson, was there a number on your envelope? We know you couldn't have been No. 46. I'm guessing you were...No. 215.

WVWriterGirl
09-13-2005, 08:21 PM
My envelope had no number on it.

Don't worry, Jax, I missed it the first time I read it, too.

:Hug2:

WVWG

dragonjax
09-13-2005, 10:18 PM
D'oh!

Can I blame watching an episode of GO DIEGO GO for my lack of reading comprehension?

Okay, I'm officially assigning dhenderson with No. 215. I can do that. I have the power. So there.

Uncletrunx
09-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Just don't assign me a number! I don't want one!

dragonjax
09-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Note to self: No. 376 is now available.

WVWriterGirl
09-14-2005, 06:20 AM
Note to self: No. 376 is now available.

I'll take that one, since I'm the goon-ess who had to FedEx her package to WoTC.

:Headbang: :Smack:

WVWG

trebuchet
09-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Ya ain't alone, Writer Girl!
I overnighted mine.

Pencilone
09-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Does anyone think that there might still be a chance, or all of us (who have not received a phone call yet) have our letters in the post by now?

Of couse, here in UK the letters will arrive much later...

Uncletrunx
09-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Without wanting to be pessimistic, I get the feeling that we'd know by now if they wanted to see more.

Of course, it may be that they are writing letters as they read each submission so there may be some unread submissions which they'll want to see more of. But I think they probably know what they want to see more of by now.

Irysangel
09-15-2005, 03:19 PM
I would think they'd send letters rather than 'calling' everyone. They're basically asking for full manuscripts at this point, and most publishers don't call and ask for the full, they send a letter.

This is just the sensible way to do it, or so it seems to me, so I could be quite blatantly wrong. :)

NicoleJLeBoeuf
09-15-2005, 07:00 PM
I assumed that the finalists would receive phone calls simply because of this: (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/opencall2004)

At the end of the open call we will review all the submissions received. We will then choose our ten favorite submissions and ask you to send us the complete manuscript of the first draft of the novel. You must send us the complete manuscript within ten business days of our request.The only way for both WOTC and the authors of the requested manuscripts to know and agree on exactly when the "ten business days" begins is if the request is made via phone call. (Or email, I guess, but the author could dither about not having seen the email for a few days.) With postal mail, unless the request is sent with delivery confirmation, all that's documented is the date of the postmark, not the date of receipt by the author. There could be delays in the transaction that one party is not aware of.

But of course I'm just speculating here, same as you. I'll tell you what, though; I haven't been letting a day go by without checking email, checking the physical mailbox (barring Sunday/holiday), and wearing my cell phone.

When I hear one way or the other, I'll post about it right away.

dragonjax
09-15-2005, 11:20 PM
I just emailed Peter. I'll let you know what he says.

Pencilone
09-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Thanks Dragonjax! Now I'll probably cannot help myself checking this thread every two minutes or so...:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Uncletrunx
09-16-2005, 01:19 AM
I just emailed Peter. I'll let you know what he says.

Thanks, it's appreciated.

I'll let you folks know if (when?) my letter arrives.

dragonjax
09-20-2005, 01:11 AM
Haven't heard anything yet, either from Peter or from the contest overall. Anyone else get any news one way or the other?

Gogonith
09-20-2005, 01:59 AM
No news here, either, outside of what's written on this BBS.

Uncletrunx
09-20-2005, 01:53 PM
Nothing here.

dragonjax
09-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Hey, everyone:

Mr. Archer got back to me today. He said they've started to send out rejection letters to some of those whose manuscripts they were not interested in. They have several manuscripts they've decided to buy at this point, and they're just waiting to straighten out some legal language before making offers to the authors.

I asked him for clarification -- did this mean the ten finalists had already been contacted? He said, "We've contacted a number of people (I think the number is actually a bit more than ten) but we're still reviewing proposals. If you haven't received a rejection slip from us, we're still reviewing your proposal."

So...until you get the actual rejection, there's hope.

Captain_Campion
09-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Long time lurker, first time poster here...

Dargonjax, I am a little confused (this coming from someone yet to receive a rejection from wizards but who knows, I didn't get the mail yet today). But, your post suggests that Peter Archer suggested they have decided to 'buy' certain entries at this point.

However, my understanding was that stage one was to find 10 entries for which they would want to see the entire novel. I can't imagine Wizards deciding to actually 'buy' a novel based only on the cover letter, synopsis, chapter listing, and first three chapters required by the original open call.

Any chance you could clarify? Do you mean to say that they have decided on the entries they want to see more of, as opposed to 'buy' ? Or have they actually decided on novels so far, not just proposals they want to see more of. If so, they've run the open call a little differently than they had presented.

dragonjax
09-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Captain, Peter said that there's actually more than 10 finalists for this open call. Based on the lawyers getting involved, to me that sounds like WotC moved forward with a number of the proposals (the three chapters, etc) and requested full MSs from some authors.

But he also clearly said that they are still reviewing some proposals. So until you actually receive a rejection slip, you should consider your proposal still being reviewed.

Meanwhile, nothing from WotC came for me in the mail today. :)

Pencilone
09-21-2005, 12:01 AM
Dragonjax, Thanks for giving us some hope!:)

As my submission arrived 10 days late (thanks to Airsure - note to myself never to use them again), I will probably be at the end of the queue anyway.

WVWriterGirl
09-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Dragonjax, Thanks for giving us some hope!:) I will probably be at the end of the queue anyway.

Me, too. I think mine arrived at the eleventh hour, but I'm not completely positive. Anyway, I just sit here, observing this thread, waiting for the other shoe to drop...

And I agree, Pencilone, thank you, Jax!

dragonjax
09-21-2005, 01:08 AM
You're welcome, folks. Who knows? Maybe one of us will get some good news from Wizards.

badducky
09-21-2005, 01:28 AM
Hey, thanks for all the info.

They actually called me on the phone to request my full manuscript well before the contest entry deadline. I've been a nervous wreck for nearly a year now.

In my absolute fear of coming across as needy and unprofessional (and young: I actually wrote the first draft my last year of college, and edited it into decent form that next year while pushing lattes at grumpy strangers for near-minimum wage). I've been using these forums for all of the information I so desperately desire. Thank you all for coming together and collectively providing a community of information to me during these stressful times.

In return, I will offer this irrefutable fact: they have at least one full manuscript. Mine. They've had it a very long time. I really hope they call me or reject me soon. I'll develop arthritis if I crack my knuckles any more than I do.

I don't want to talk too much about it, however. Every ten minutes I shift from feeling like I'm doomed for rejection or blessed for publication.

Again, thanks for all the information, people. It's all that's keeping me from an ulcer at this point.

Wolfdreamer
09-21-2005, 01:52 AM
I too have been keeping an eye on these boards, hoping for some sort of news. I sent my submission in early, but we moved a couple of months ago and I know that it's going to take some time for the answer to forward to me, whatever that answer may be. I'll post as soon as I hear one way or the other, though.

Captain_Campion
09-21-2005, 01:53 AM
Out of curiosity, what was the genre of your manuscript?

Also, this was specifically for the open call or just a general submission on your part. Just curious.

badducky
09-21-2005, 02:34 AM
Who me?

I did submit specifically for the open call.

Genre?

Um... I actually have no idea what genre I am. I fall under speculative fiction. Besides that, I don't think anyone has anything on the market like what I write.

My sister calls it "Impossible to Read", but what does she know? She likes cheesy romance novels and confessional poetry. She wouldn't know a dragon from a drake, or a rocket from a rocketship.

I'm not really concerned about genre, actually. I'm more concerned about getting another cup of coffee after work and writing some more. The only way I can ignore the stress of my situation long enough to actually accomplish anything literary in nature is by hitting on the impossibly hot young, single mom at my local bookstore's coffee shop profusely until she actually goes out with me. It'll never happen, but we all need goals in life, right?

When she's looking at me, I can actually accomplish enough writing to make some headway through the next book's re-writes. However my head is still wrapped around the stress of the current situation. This is bad. Closure would REALLY help me write more and better. I hope. Maybe.

Anyway, thanks for all the information Dragonjax.

And don't ask me anymore questions. I have nothing else to add.

I mean, I'm still just as likely as the rest of us to get that very impersonal little slip of paper in the mail. Just because they wanted to see the manuscript a few months ago doesn't mean they still want anything to do with it. Everyday I check the mail with trepidation just like the rest of us who check this board with trepidation.

dragonjax
09-21-2005, 03:09 AM
I'm rooting for you, badducky! :Clap:

badducky
09-22-2005, 12:42 AM
I appreciate all your support.

And, I just gotta say how strange I find the world, when companies in the business of finding and developing new talent (publishing companies) spend so much of their time actively ignoring and rebuffing potential talent and working with middlemen.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Wizards of the Coast is about to have a huge advantage in the market just because they're taking the time to read every submission?

I wish everyone the best, as well. I hope we meet at some awards luncheon for everyone who gets published and they have to rent a convention center just to put us all in one room.

Someday, if we're persistent and aggressive enough, we'll all be waving our novels in the faces of all the family members who keep telling us to grow up and get a real job and spend our time at something productive!

My-Immortal
09-22-2005, 12:54 AM
In case anyone is interested - I submitted my novel to WOTC's open call about mid Feb and my form letter rejection came back to me a couple of weeks ago with the number 119 on the SASE. (for those of you keeping track of that! LOL) I guess that means the odds for the rest of you just got a tiny bit better!

Good luck. I'm working toward submitting my work elsewhere. :)

dragonjax
09-22-2005, 01:12 AM
Good luck with placing it elsewhere, Immortal!

(Still no news on my end.)

My-Immortal
09-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Good luck with placing it elsewhere, Immortal!

(Still no news on my end.)

Thanks. If anything good ever happens with the book, I'll let you know! :)

Good luck to you too, dragonjax.

Take care all - and keep writing

SRHowen
09-23-2005, 08:06 PM
My novel went via my agent some time ago--seems like ages. No word for me yet either.

Shawn

trebuchet
09-23-2005, 11:16 PM
I hate to admit this but what the heck, everyone is so candid on this thread.

I've heard nothing either, but if I get good news it'll be sorta bad for me. There are serious structural decisions I need to make that I thought would be made long ago. I didn't bother because I was, and am, so certain that I will get a rejection. Already the first three chapters are quite different (and much improved) from what I now think as the kiss of death that I sent . . . . ugh. But thse changes will ripple through the structure of the book. Though the novel is "finished," I'd be hard pressed to send them a draft I'm happy with. :Hammer: I just can't leave things alone . . . .

paprikapink
09-23-2005, 11:33 PM
I peeked into this thread because I wanted to see what "WotC" stood for.

And now I keep checking back because the suspense is killing me! I'm rooting for you.

Pencilone
09-23-2005, 11:42 PM
:Hammer: I just can't leave things alone . . . .

That's me too! I cannot stop tinkering with the plot and the story I've got now resembles only by far the one I sent to WOTC so many months ago.

Although I'm sure I'll get rejected, I cannot stop hoping into a miracle.

Anyway, no letter today...

:Guitar::hat:

trebuchet
09-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Thanks, Paprikapink, appreciate the support!

trebuchet
09-23-2005, 11:59 PM
I cannot stop hoping into a miracle.

Pencilone, I really like the way you put that. Miracles do happen, I'm rooting for you! :banana:

-treb

Wolfdreamer
09-24-2005, 05:43 AM
Got mine tonight. Rejected with the number 115 on the corner.

My-Immortal
09-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Got mine tonight. Rejected with the number 115 on the corner.

I'm sorry to hear that Wolf (yours was very close to my #119). I suppose the saying, "misery loves company", has just a bit of true in it though, because I was starting to wonder if I was the only one getting rejected (or if no one else was posting the news of their rejection)! Good luck with finding another home for your manuscript, Wolf.

Take care all - and keep writing... :)

Uncletrunx
09-25-2005, 10:19 PM
No news here, although with the letters flying thick and fast and no call / email, I'm expecting my rejection letter soon. I'll keep you posted, and good luck to those still in with a chance.

And to those who've already had the letters, keep us posted in case you manage to prove WOTC "wrong" and get it published elsewhere.

dragonjax
09-26-2005, 03:03 PM
That's me too! I cannot stop tinkering with the plot and the story I've got now resembles only by far the one I sent to WOTC so many months ago.

Although I'm sure I'll get rejected, I cannot stop hoping into a miracle.

Anyway, no letter today...

:Guitar::hat:
Me three! Actually, I've revised the entire MS three times (yes, three times) since I sent in my partial in February. I'm actually a bit embarassed by the version I sent in; it needs...um...help. Heh. No news on my end yet. We'll see what happens...

And if they're only in the hundreds now, then I probably won't get my rejection for another few months! I got mine in with only a few days to spare. I'm guessing I'm number 387. :)

WVWriterGirl
09-27-2005, 04:50 AM
Well, Monday has come and gone, and I remain in the land of the empty hands (i.e., I've heard nothing).

Anyone?

NicoleJLeBoeuf
09-27-2005, 04:53 AM
Well, Monday has come and gone, and I remain in the land of the empty hands (i.e., I've heard nothing).

Anyone?Not I, not I. But then I sent my proposal in very close to deadline--not FedEx Overnight close, but about as close as you can safely get with first class postage.

Captain_Campion
09-27-2005, 06:01 AM
I've heard nothing yet and I have three proposals in (that's three different books). I must admit, I'm a little disapointed in how this has been handled, if some of the posts are true.

Oh well, hey Baen...want a good book..or three..?

dragonjax
09-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Still nothing here.

*sigh*

Myrddin
09-27-2005, 10:13 PM
Hi all. Came over here from the WotC board, since DragonJax seems to have the "inside" scoop. :)
No rejection slip here.

/joins the co-miserating gang

WVWriterGirl
09-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Hi all. Came over here from the WotC board, since DragonJax seems to have the "inside" scoop. :)
No rejection slip here.

/joins the co-miserating gang

Great to have you, Myrddin. Examine the boards, they're great - there's lots of good information to be had here!

Hope you enjoy AW!

David McAfee
09-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Just wondering when, exactly, was the open call to which you are all referring? Did it end in May of 2005? I missed it. I did stumble upon this year's "Speculative Fiction" open call and dutifully sent in my ms, but if it is taking 5 and six months to hear back, does this mean I can look forward to waiting until July of 2006 or so for my rejection?

Ah, well...

dragonjax
09-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Nah, I don't have any inside scoop. I just email Peter once in a while for updates, that's all.

David, we're talking about the October 2004 Open Call for Fiction, which closed on March 1, 2005. There were 400 proposals. It sounds like they're methodically going through the entries, albeit slowly. I sent my proposal in the last week of February; haven't heard a word. According to Peter, until we actually get a rejection slip, we should consider our proposals as under consideration.

David McAfee
09-27-2005, 11:49 PM
Nah, I don't have any inside scoop. I just email Peter once in a while for updates, that's all.

David, we're talking about the October 2004 Open Call for Fiction, which closed on March 1, 2005. There were 400 proposals. It sounds like they're methodically going through the entries, albeit slowly. I sent my proposal in the last week of February; haven't heard a word. According to Peter, until we actually get a rejection slip, we should consider our proposals as under consideration.

:) Well, it'll be a while before I hear anything, then. I didn't submit on the last open call, just the current one, which isn't over until 1/1/06.

Saanen
09-28-2005, 03:07 AM
:) Well, it'll be a while before I hear anything, then. I didn't submit on the last open call, just the current one, which isn't over until 1/1/06.

Do they have a webpage up for it? I can only find the old page with the March 2005 deadline (which I missed--didn't know about it in time!).

Edit: NM, found it! It's http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/submissions for those interested.

Captain_Campion
09-28-2005, 03:48 AM
Peter Archer did tell me that people can re-submit their ideas to the new open call even if they were rejected by the first Open Call, but should keep in mind that the reason for rejection may have to do with the basic concept.

One could extrapolate from that that you should reframe your entire proposal should one intend to re-submit a previously rejected idea. But who knows, a few changes to a cover letter, an improved summary, and some good editing on those sample chapters and it might just pass the mustard 2nd time around.

badducky
09-28-2005, 04:01 AM
Another day, another empty mailbox, another silent phone.

I can't even get the hot single mom to remember my name, much less my phone number... *sadness*

Oh, and I haven't heard anything from Renton, either. Well, anybody know any good jokes about Godot?

brokenfingers
09-28-2005, 04:42 AM
I'm curious - does anybody know anything about their contracts? What rights they will want from this call/contest etc? How they structure them?

For instance, they're also involved in game publication, so will the contract cover rights purchased for that separately or will it be a blanket contract that mainly benefits them? (Buys all rights etc.) Do they buy rights to the book or rights to the world itself? (They usually hire many authors to write in the WotC worlds.)

Is it a binding, repressive big corporation contract?(a la PA or some record companies) Do they buy it all and then throw you in their stable of writers? Can they then fire you and keep the rights to your world?

I'm just curious how it works out if for instance, your world becomes a big hit (a la Magic: The Gathering or Forgotten Realms etc) if you will wind up making like 2% for your property after the corporate sharks are done feeding or if it's a more equitable sharing.

Just wondering. My work should be done around the time of this newest call and I'm begining to draw up a submission battle plan and it sounded like some of you here might know more.

I'm just asking because it just seems like there are a lot more issues here than at a regular publishing house and I'm wondering if anyone here has any info on some of them.

Captain_Campion
09-28-2005, 05:44 AM
Broken...

I think what separates this open call from the rest of Wizards work is that they were only interested in book rights with the possiblity of game rights.

Also, careful--don't even mention Publish America (PA) in the same sentence as Wizards, the latter may sue for libal (lol). PA is a scam-house, Wizards is a legitimate publisher.

Most of the questions you ask sound like the type of thing to be hashed out in contract negotiations, not anything for which there will be a blanket answer. Other than the fact, as stated above, that the original overview of the Open Call stated that Wizards wanted book and possibly game rights. I'm assuming 'game' to mean pen and paper, but I don't know.

The impression I get from this open call is that Wizards is looking to get into the main stream speculative fiction market to compete with Tor and Baen as well as others, although that's just speculation on my part. I think--but don't know--that they are emphasizing the book part of this more than anything else.

brokenfingers
09-28-2005, 06:31 AM
Captain Campion, thanks for the input.

I agree that many of the questions I’ve asked are things to be hashed out later with the aid of a good lawyer. I was just curious if anyone had heard of any first hand experiences as far as contracts were concerned with WotC (not on a for-hire basis but as regards to buying of full rights.)

Due to the glut of new writers seeking publication and a prevailing “Omigod, you picked me?! Thank you! Thank you! Where do I sign?” attitude among many new writers, there seems to be a disturbing trend by publishers towards rapacious contracts.

The main reason I ask is because I’ve always planned on marketing game rights as well as book rights for my story once it was on the market (my agent search includes ones with experience in this field) because I feel the two can greatly complement each other and increase exposure to your work. I was just curious if this was a good way to do it or if WotC was “buying good land cheap” because it’s a buyer’s market.

One thing about WotC as a book publisher that I like is that they have a built in audience. And it’s one that is usually eager for more material. They have a whole section in every book store dedicated to their books so there’s less chance for a first time author to fade away in the line-up and they have a hand in the gaming industry which is an added bonus for any writer’s book.

I looked around and they seemed kind of vague about it so that’s why I figured I’d ask here. LOL, and I didn’t mean to place WotC in the same league as PA – I just used them as an example of a bad contract that a writer must live with once signed.

Oh well, guess we’ll see how it goes but I would suggest to anyone who recieves a contract that you have a laywer go over it with a fine tooth comb. I think there’s a lot of potential for money to be made and lost here with lots of little grey areas that could prove detrimental down the road if you’re not careful.

Don’t mean to come across as a Henny Penny but I think these are issues that we all, as writers, need to be aware of.

It’s a jungle out there I tell ya, a jungle….

Captain_Campion
09-28-2005, 04:16 PM
Well said, Broken.

One thing that should often be repeated (and something I'm sure 99% of the people on this board already know) is that there is an entire industry out there geared toward taking advantage of wannabe writers.

This is a lesson I learned from a very bad agent (or, I should say, psuedo-agent) experience a few years ago. From agents to "publishers" to editing scams, all writers need to stay in touch with the web sites 'preditors and editors' as well as 'writers beware.'

It's tough enough trying to break into this business even before you realize that not only is it a hard mountain to climb, but there are tigers and wolves hoping to prey on you along the way.

That sounds dismal, doesn't it? Well as someone who nearly got gobbled by one of those tigers, let me say it's better to find out now and take the extra time to research your publishers/agent/editor than it is to loose money, time and possibly even your manuscript to scam artists.

Stay positive, but keep your eyes wide open.

Myrddin
09-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Every writer I've talked with (not including the self-published ones) praise the use of agents. Even with the 15% commission. The agent is the one who will sniff through the contract and negotiate on your behalf for retention of rights, larger advance, etc. I'd encourage anyone who wins this thing (or another book publishing contract) to get an agent to represent you. Even with this contract. Not because WotC is trying to cheat anyone or anything, but because it'll protect you in the long run.

Check out the sites Campion listed above and read up on agents in Writer's Market to find the reputable ones.

Quick reality check when working with any agent: you should never pay them anything out of your own pocket. Not for reading, not for editing, not for publishing. If they try to charge you for these things, take your manuscript and run the other way. All monies should flow from the publisher through your agent (where they'll take their standard 15% commission) to you. Not the other way around.

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but there's usually a noobie lurker on any writers boards who may need the heads up. :)

Oh, and nothing in the mail yesterday.

Myrddin

My-Immortal
09-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Quick reality check when working with any agent: you should never pay them anything out of your own pocket. Not for reading, not for editing, not for publishing. If they try to charge you for these things, take your manuscript and run the other way. All monies should flow from the publisher through your agent (where they'll take their standard 15% commission) to you. Not the other way around.

Very true - but if you look at the Literary Agents section of the latest 2006 Writer's Market (or even some of the older ones), you will see that many of the agents also charge for photocopying, office expenses, postage, book submissions etc...so there are some additional charges (perhaps small?) involved with having an agent.

Also note (to newbies perhaps, I assume others already know this), 15% commission is common (I have seen 10% on a few), it is also common to see 20% (sometimes even 25%) commission on foreign sales. Again, for more info check out the Writer's Markets or similar books.

Good luck and keep writing... :)

Captain_Campion
09-29-2005, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=My-Immortal]Very true - but if you look at the Literary Agents section of the latest 2006 Writer's Market (or even some of the older ones), you will see that many of the agents also charge for photocopying, office expenses, postage, book submissions etc...so there are some additional charges (perhaps small?) involved with having an agent.

NO NO NO!

This is how bad agents are trying to hide their fees, I don't care where they are listed (bad agents are going to want their agencies listed, too so as to catch more flies in their parlor).

NO legitimate agent chargest for postage, book submissions, photo copies or office expenses (or anything). It is possible--but not likely--that a contract you sign with an agent might involve subtracting some of these costs from royalties after your property has been sold. But NOT before.

Also, be ware of agents who say "you've got a great book, but it needs a little editing. Let me recommend the following editing service..."

That was a huge scam (see "EditInk").

15% is the standard. Some bad agents say "I'll take 10% but I'll need you to pick up my office expenses".

Run. Run fast.

Let's review.
- No money up front to an agent, of any kind for any reason. Agents make their money on selling your book and they figure their overhead costs into that 15% commission.

KNOW these sites:
http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/

http://www.sfwa.org/beware/

Please guys, don't fall victim to these vultures like I did.

Phoenix Fury
09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE=My-Immortal]Very true - but if you look at the Literary Agents section of the latest 2006 Writer's Market (or even some of the older ones), you will see that many of the agents also charge for photocopying, office expenses, postage, book submissions etc...so there are some additional charges (perhaps small?) involved with having an agent.

NO NO NO!

This is how bad agents are trying to hide their fees, I don't care where they are listed (bad agents are going to want their agencies listed, too so as to catch more flies in their parlor).

NO legitimate agent chargest for postage, book submissions, photo copies or office expenses (or anything). It is possible--but not likely--that a contract you sign with an agent might involve subtracting some of these costs from royalties after your property has been sold. But NOT before.

Also, be ware of agents who say "you've got a great book, but it needs a little editing. Let me recommend the following editing service..."

That was a huge scam (see "EditInk").

15% is the standard. Some bad agents say "I'll take 10% but I'll need you to pick up my office expenses".

Run. Run fast.

Let's review.
- No money up front to an agent, of any kind for any reason. Agents make their money on selling your book and they figure their overhead costs into that 15% commission.

KNOW these sites:

Just to clarify a bit--it is absolutely true that you should pay NOTHING--NOTHING WHATSOEVER--to an agent prior to signing a contract with him or her to represent your work. After you have signed the contract, however, an increasing number of legitimate agents are charging for photocopying and other office expenses, though such charges should only come out of royalties. Up-front fees are NEVER legitimate--but there are some fees (again taken from royalties) which have now become more standard (copying and the like). Campion is absolutely right, however, that agents who charge other fees (like for an editing service, for example) should be avoided like the plague in any case.

P.F.

My-Immortal
09-29-2005, 10:03 PM
NO NO NO!

Run. Run fast.

Let's review.

KNOW these sites:

Captain - Wow...sorry, but I was just stating what was found in many books concerning literary agents. In the 2006 Writer's Market for example, they have roughly 50 Literary Agencies listed - all are members of AAR (Association of Author's Representatives). To be a member of the AAR the agencies "do not charge for reading, critiquing, or editing. Some agents in this section may charge clients for office expenses such as photocopying, foreign postage, long-distance phone calls, or express mail services. Make sure you have a clear understanding of what these expenses are before signing any agency agreement."

As you read through those 50 agencies, I would say a majority (not all) of them list some sort of additional charge - photocopying, postage and long distance phone calls were the most commonly listed 'additional charge'.

I'm not saying this is "right" or "wrong". I was simply stating that it seems to be a trend and to be cautious of it if/when anyone obtains an agent. In a way, I can understand why they would want to charge for postage and photocopying -- that stuff adds up (and without an agent, you'd be paying for the photocopying and postage anyway).

I hope this helps....take it easy.

badducky
09-29-2005, 11:17 PM
Don't even worry about finding an agent until your first manuscript is complete and as clean as the vatican bedsheets.

Why worry about business? When you have a novel finished, you can worry about finding an agent. Until then, just finish your book in peace and stay off the internet!

("Dear God, please let me someday take my own advice. If I did that, I'd be the coolest, best writer in the world with the awesomest hot, single mom for a girlfriend. Thanks in advance! You rock, God! Love, badducky")

Pencilone
09-29-2005, 11:26 PM
... just finish your book in peace and stay off the internet!

Are you speaking to me?! Yeah, I think you must be...

If I had stayed off the Internet, I'd have finished 10 novels by now. That's so sad, isn't it?
No letter yet ...:popcorn:

Captain_Campion
09-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Badducky,

I think most people here already have finished and completed manuscripts, considering that a large number of poeple here submitted to the open call.

Also, as Phoenix says, yeah, okay, maybe some legitimate expenses down the line (as long as they are well documented) but ANY agent looking for upfront money to represent your work is shady at best, crooked at worst.

Remember, there is an entire industry out there trying to prey on writer wannabes. If you don't believe me, check out that preditor & editor site. It is enough to bring tears to your eyes.

Not trying to be negative but it's always best to know what lurks around the corner if you're not careful.

Good luck, and happy agent-hunting.

My-Immortal
09-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Don't even worry about finding an agent until your first manuscript is complete and as clean as the vatican bedsheets.

Why worry about business? When you have a novel finished, you can worry about finding an agent. Until then, just finish your book in peace and stay off the internet!

Well, I do have a book finished so I suppose I get to stay on the internet...right?

As for an agent, I'm not worrying about finding one. I've submitted to publishers and agents (after investigating them in books and on the internet) but have yet to find the right match. I'll keep submitting to both, but in the meantime, I'm working on the next book.

Good luck to all of you, take it easy, and keep writing. :)

Winterborne
09-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Greetings,

I've been a lurker for quite some time! I submitted a proposal to the open call very close to the deadline. A few months later, I submitted another proposal for the general author call out. I did get a rejection letter (not for the contest), though it was one of the more interesting rejection letters I've opened. It was rather generic at first, but Peter wrote in red pen that one of the editors thought it would make a great comic book! The letter actually never stated that the book was rejected but that they had recently changed their review dates to the fall.

As far as the contest goes...no word yet. (I'm guessing I'm #400 if I actually made it lol) To those who haven't been notified of rejection, I wish you the best of luck! If you didn't make it, keep trying. Recently, I had a story selected for publication in a children's magazine that was rejected by another.

dragonjax
10-01-2005, 04:21 AM
Good luck to everyone who's still in the running.

No, I still haven't heard anything. ((sigh))

badducky
10-03-2005, 11:38 PM
The weirdest part of all of this has been finding an agent.

It looks like I'll have a publisher lined up before I can get agents to make even one full-blown offer on my queries! How does that make sense?

Just because I'm single-handedly attempting to create a brand new sub-genre and no one can easily predict sales figures...

Rr.

I am currently sending a package off to a potential agent who gave me my very first callback after months of toiling. Honestly, I just need someone to get in there and close the deal and guide me through the planning of a book tour/promotional thing. I don't see what's so hard about that for a professional agent. Agents close book deals for a living. I've got the publishers to read the book, and they liked it enough not to reject it outright, so just get in there and make a deal!

No word from WoTC.

However, if you are a reputable agent and you are interested in closing a book deal, contact me at zebulum@hotmail.com. Just drop me a line, and I'll fill you in on my project and see if it catches your eye. The book is best described as Post-Modern Epic Fantasy, but we'll let the literary critics figure out the best moniker eventually.

I'm not really bitter about this agent thing, even if it sounds like it. I'm actually bitter because the hot single mom already has a boyfriend. It may be off-topic, but I hate that guy. I don't care if she's dating a paraplegic women's shelter activist. I just hate that guy.

dragonjax
10-04-2005, 04:42 AM
badducky, you may be in for a long wait. Unless you literally have WotC ready to send you a contract, you didn't make a sale -- which means an agent would simply be waiting to hear back from WotC at this point as well.

If you get a call from WotC and Peter says, "Congratulations, badducky, we want to buy your manuscript," you politely cover the mouthpiece, scream for joy, then get back on the phone and say, "Terrific." THEN you call ANY FANTASY AGENT YOU WANT -- that's right, you call -- and tell the nice person on the phone that you have an offer from WotC and you would dearly love AGENT X to negotiate the deal. Many times, agents ask only for a 10% fee instead of the standard 15% if they act only in this capacity. (At least, that's what I've gathered; I haven't experienced this directly.)

But until you have a definite offer from WotC, an agent isn't going to hop to represent you. Unless you're damn lucky or have written the next greatest thing. :)

Chin up. If WotC wants to sign you, you're probably going to have your pick of agents.

Good luck -- here's hoping you get good news from WotC soon.

(And still nothing on my end.)

Pencilone
10-04-2005, 12:44 PM
badducky, since WOTC asked to see your full MS, I belive that's a compliment in itself (but you already know that:) ). It's a good sign that you ARE on the right road. Just keep on trucking and don't let a day pass without writing/editing...

I believe I'd be elated if that happened to me, even if I won't make it to the end.

I've got a feeling we won't hear anything till next year.
:idea: It might also be that they had a fire over there (at WOTC) and all the proposals got destroyed. Or they got attacked by aliens and all the proposals were stolen to be published on other planets... Oh, I won't mind that!
:ROFL: :popcorn:

dragonjax
10-04-2005, 04:37 PM
It might also be that they had a fire over there (at WOTC) and all the proposals got destroyed. Or they got attacked by aliens and all the proposals were stolen to be published on other planets... Oh, I won't mind that!
:ROFL:

Wolfdreamer
10-06-2005, 02:52 AM
It might also be that they had a fire over there (at WOTC) and all the proposals got destroyed. Or they got attacked by aliens and all the proposals were stolen to be published on other planets... Oh, I won't mind that!
:ROFL: :popcorn:

Now there's a thought. I wonder what they would call that... first non-earth publishing rights?

dragonjax
10-06-2005, 04:34 AM
Maybe. But it's going to play hell with the copyright laws...

Myrddin
10-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Now there's a thought. I wonder what they would call that... first non-earth publishing rights?

Those rights weren't stated in the waiver! How dare they try to publish off planet without my consent!

I wonder how my book will look translated into Martian or Venusian...

Ahem. No word here.

badducky
10-06-2005, 08:10 PM
They'd love to work, but they just got this awesome internet connection up there and they're spending all their time on forums and blogging and stuff.

(Whip cracks overhead)

Agh! Must get off internet!

Gogonith
10-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Apparently, no one on this board has heard anything since 9/23 (Wolfdreamer, post #127), who got a rejection.

Anyone have news? I don't.

Someone needs to get on WOTC's case on this. This is ridiculous! 8 months to review what is essentially a stack of queries! If this is exemplary of their level of efficiency and communication to authors, I'm having second thoughts about working with them!

badducky
10-14-2005, 01:59 AM
The part that is kinda confusing to me is seeing new open call submission being taken while we're still totally in the dark about the last open call.

I hope different parts of the corporate machine are handling this. It's not impossible, it's just... weird from our end.

But, I'm hoping that the reason for the delay is due to internal squabbling. Specifically, a few hard-nosed editors are slamming great works of art down the throats of unwilling MBA's in suits.

This is all speculation, however, and unlike mineral speculation this kind is unprofitable. Back to work!

*WHIP CRACKING NOISES*

dragonjax
10-14-2005, 02:15 AM
I hear you. Truly.

Irysangel
10-14-2005, 05:37 AM
Actually, 8 months isn't such a bad wait. TOR takes over 2 years in some cases.

It sucks, but we're free to yank our submissions at any time, of course, if we don't like the rules. :)

(That being said, I hate waiting too, but I'm TRYING to forget about it and not succeeding, heh.)

badducky
10-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Hey, I ain't saying it's unreasonable. It's just weird to us out here on the outside. We don't have the eye on the inner workings of the goblins and orcs and dwarves over there in Wizards Land.

In my head, I'm crunching some numbers though, just because I heard the word "efficiency", and that's my natural gut reaction.

Guesstimate about 500 queries over 8 months. That's 62.5 queries read in a month. Figure each month has on average 30 days. That's 2-3 queries a day.

Now, these queries must be read on top of current duties. They incude, hopefully, three chapters and a detailed synopsis. I think >>carefully<< reading six chapters and two detailed outlines every day on top of other personal and professional duties sounds about right to me.

If you had a vast field of interns and assistants wading through the texts, that wouldn't be right at all.

If you have one or two decision-makers carefully considering the texts, then we've got ourselves a fairly efficient operation here! I don't mind a longer wait if I know the person opening the envelope is also the person making phone calls -- or, at least, very close to that person. No, I think we're still in the realm of reason, here.

So, no. No, I don't question the amount of time. We just need to keep our hands busy writing our next books, and getting really drunk with beautiful women. If it worked for Hemingway, it'll work for me!

Pencilone
10-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Awfully quiet here! Any news anyone?:popcorn:

Myrddin
10-18-2005, 06:09 PM
/listens to the crickets

Empty mailbox here

Uncletrunx
10-18-2005, 07:08 PM
No news here.

I'm getting more pessimistic by the day.

trebuchet
10-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I've drifted from pessimistic to past caring . . . I wish!

mhughes
10-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Heck, I'd just like to know if mine made it in before the deadline or not. It was literally sent in at the last moment. For some reason, my local post office cannot do overnight delivery so I had to take my chances that it would get there in time.

My fault though. I'll conquer this procrastination. Tomorrow maybe. Back to debating if I should enter the new open call or not.

Gogonith
10-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Hey, mhughes, I suggest entering in the new contest, too. At worst they'll see it again and say, "Hey, we already saw that guy last year," and shrug, but at best you would get a second chance (assuming, of course, you haven't already been chosen this year!).

The only hitch would be that you wouldn't be able to submit to another publisher who doesn't accept multiple submissions. ... and the inevitable waiting!

trebuchet
10-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Definitely! Do it. I might do that too, since my story has undergone so many dog gone revisions.

badducky
10-18-2005, 09:45 PM
What, you haven't gotten close to finishing your next project? Why re-submit when you can submit something new! Get to work! Keep writing! Don't count on one book to bust the doors of DOOM!

dragonjax
10-19-2005, 02:19 AM
If I don't get a response by mid-February, I'm sending in an anniversary card.

trebuchet
10-19-2005, 03:06 AM
Inspiring words, badducky! I got off my butt and did just that. It was actually a relief to think of something else. :)

mhughes
10-19-2005, 06:48 AM
What, you haven't gotten close to finishing your next project? Why re-submit when you can submit something new! Get to work! Keep writing! Don't count on one book to bust the doors of DOOM!

Actually, my next project is the sequel to the book I submitted to WoTC. :-) Even if I never get published, I do want to get this story out of my head. Heck, my wife would kill me if I didn't finish it.

I do have a sci-fi story I wrote for last years Nanowrimo that I think has some potiential. I'll probably play with that if my fantasy writing slows down.

Uncletrunx
10-19-2005, 03:02 PM
If I don't get a response by mid-February, I'm sending in an anniversary card.
"In loving memory"...

trebuchet
10-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Actually, my next project is the sequel to the book I submitted to WoTC. :-) Even if I never get published, I do want to get this story out of my head.

That's true of me too, mhughes . . . though I think of them as part of the same project. It's hard to work with my next one while this one is still rampaging along.

By the way, when you submitted, did you propose your project as a series, or just as the one novel?

badducky
10-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, I wish all of you the best.

Here's a thought: How much you want to bet the folks at wizards of the coast are reading these forums, hunting for leaks?

So, we haven't heard any news in a while. Anybody get a subpeona?

Or, perhaps something slightly-less intimidating than a subpeona... a sub-subpeona? Unsubpeona? Subpeonette? Sub sandwich?

mhughes
10-19-2005, 07:37 PM
That's true of me too, mhughes . . . though I think of them as part of the same project. It's hard to work with my next one while this one is still rampaging along.

By the way, when you submitted, did you propose your project as a series, or just as the one novel?

As a series. I told them a trilogy (which is what I'm leaning towards) but since I started writing this seven years ago, it's been 1 book, then 2, then 6, then 7, then 6, then 5, then 3. I love how stories evolve.

dragonjax
10-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Well, I wish all of you the best.

Here's a thought: How much you want to bet the folks at wizards of the coast are reading these forums, hunting for leaks?

So, we haven't heard any news in a while. Anybody get a subpeona?

Or, perhaps something slightly-less intimidating than a subpeona... a sub-subpeona? Unsubpeona? Subpeonette? Sub sandwich?
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to delete all my posts.

(I crack myself up.)

Pencilone
10-20-2005, 12:10 PM
Somewhere on another thread #330 came out: http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=7545254#post7545254

Uncletrunx
10-20-2005, 02:58 PM
So they're up to 330?

I'm now starting to assume my rejection got lost in the post...

Captain_Campion
10-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Actually, the poster who received rejection #330 also received a short note.

My guess is that you're now seeing the second round of rejections. Rejections wherein they may have been intrigued by the concept or quality of writing but the piece did not make it to the list of finalists.

Just a guess, of course.

Uncletrunx
10-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Interesting.

At the end of the day, a rejection is a rejection but to get some sort of "almost" note, an acknowledgement that your submission wasn't a pile of stinking detreitus unsuitable for anything but wiping up the dog's mess might just make the blow a little more bearable.

Yes, I am having "one of those days!"

badducky
10-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Actually, a rejection like that means "Right book, Wrong publisher".

It means you had better get cracking on your next proposal package and work that much harder to get the publisher right this time!

Uncletrunx
10-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Well, I've not got one yet.

What I'd really like is the letter which says "Yes, we want your book and here's a whacking great advance because we know it'll sell so well."

And a doughnut. Right now, I'd really like a doughnut too.

dragonjax
10-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Uncle, thanks for my first laugh out loud for the day! Dude, I'm wishing you a tray of virtual doughnuts. :Hail:

Okay, so can you believe that I never read the Wizards message boards? DUH.

I just scrolled through the last two pages of messages. A couple of cross-posters here (hi, everyone). But it looks like we all have the same information, which isn't much. Anything that I've posted has all come from Peter directly via email messages to him. (He's so responsive, it's a little scary.)

I'm still guessing I'm No. 387. So I should be hearing around Thanksgiving...

Myrddin
10-20-2005, 10:17 PM
Dragonjax, I actually came over here after someone linked your P. Archer letter. :) SO, yeah, some cross posters here.

And Uncle, your donut comment almost spewed coffee on my keyboard. :) I love unexpected humor...

Quick question on the envelope numbers: Do they reflect the order in which the rejections were sent out? Or the order in which they were received? Or just put there to incite wild speculation on internet forums?

dragonjax
10-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Or just put there to incite wild speculation on internet forums?
This one's got my vote. :idea:

Gosh. I feel...famous. :Sun:

Of course, I'd rather feel published.

Fingers crossed that there will be some good news to be posted soon.

Until then, I'm still claiming No. 387. (For anyone uber curious, I overnighted my package on February 26, 2005, which left me with a healthy few days to breathe before the deadline. Number of times I'd altered the first three chapters before submitting? Too high to count...)

Pencilone
10-20-2005, 11:08 PM
I guess I'm the guilty one for opening the "Portal"...:flag: :thankyou:

Sometimes I wonder when and how we'll find out the "winners".

dragonjax
10-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Two things:

One, I just sent Mr. Archer a note, asking if Wizards would be posting anything officially about the status of the remaining proposals. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Two, sorta related, in the current issue of WILD CHILD PUBLISHING, I had the honor of interviewing Margaret Weis. If anyone's looking for a distraction from waiting to hear from Wizards, feel free to check it out...

Wild Child Publishing (http://www.wildchildpublishing.com/)

Alphabet
10-21-2005, 12:33 AM
I just wanted to wish the very best of luck to all those still waiting for news.

dragonjax
10-21-2005, 01:20 AM
I just heard from Mr. Archer. He says that they're finishing the submissions from the first call (the 2004 call, which closed in March 2005). They will be sending out letters -- and that's a quote -- to people whose full MS they want to see AND whose work they will be passing on.

Added complication: the Wizards office is moving, starting this week. So while he would like to finish responding to the submissions in the next few weeks, there may be some additional delays.

The big news: As of this post, they have NOT selected the launch title. But they have selected four or five titles they will be buying.

Hang in there, folks.

And once again, I have to stress how impressed I am with Mr. Archer's responsiveness.

Myrddin
10-21-2005, 01:56 AM
They will be sending out letters -- and that's a quote -- to people whose full MS they want to see AND whose work they will be passing on.

Just to clarify, they are requesting full MS by a letter, not calling (phone)?

And do you think the authors of the 4 or 5 manuscripts they are buying will be notified by these letters or are already contacted?

I guess I had assumed that the top choices would be contacted by phone months ago, and they were holding back rejections until they had made those choices official (ie already signed contracts with them).

Thanks for the news, DJ.

(And yes, I'll post your news over on the WotC boards, if it's not done already. :) I know there are people over there who will want to know.)

Captain_Campion
10-21-2005, 02:56 AM
Well, rejection #90 is now off the table.

That's the bad news. The good news is that I have three entries in the open call so far, and just one rejection.

Okay, that was unduly optimistic but hey, it ain't over until it's over.

dragonjax
10-21-2005, 03:25 AM
Just to clarify, they are requesting full MS by a letter, not calling (phone)?

And do you think the authors of the 4 or 5 manuscripts they are buying will be notified by these letters or are already contacted?
That's what Mr. Archer specified, Myrddin -- letter. I suppose there could be phone calls, but what his email said to me was:

"We're finishing up the pile of submissions from the first call and will
be sending out letters to those people from whom we either want to see
the entire manuscript or have decided to pass on."

And I'm willing to bet that the four or five they're buying, the authors already know that they're at the very least in the finals, and probably already have the good news. That's not based on anything other than a strong hunch.

Good luck to those still in the running!

dragonjax
10-21-2005, 03:26 AM
Well, rejection #90 is now off the table.

That's the bad news. The good news is that I have three entries in the open call so far, and just one rejection.

Okay, that was unduly optimistic but hey, it ain't over until it's over.
Crap. Sorry, Captain. But good luck with the remaining three entries! (Wow -- you wrote FOUR books? dang. Sir, I salute you. :Hail: )

Tim Dixon
10-21-2005, 06:27 PM
Got my rejection letter yesterday, so old #196 is out of the game too. It was a form letter, but had a nice hand written addition at the bottom. I take heart in the fact they seemed to enjoy it, but in the end it was a rejection.

dragonjax
10-21-2005, 06:52 PM
Sorry, Tim. If they enjoyed it, then that means that other editors at other publishers will too...maybe enough to make an offer. Good luck placing it elsewhere!

badducky
10-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Wow, we're almost at ten pages in this thread...

We are a tech savvy bunch of writers, eagerly sniffing through the internet for rumors and facts. We will not be dissuaded. We will find out everything that's happening.

What do you think writer's did before message boards? Did any of them get any actual work done, or did they just constantly write letters to the Big City to find someone who knows something about something else?

Myrddin
10-21-2005, 09:31 PM
What do you think writer's did before message boards? Did any of them get any actual work done, or did they just constantly write letters to the Big City to find someone who knows something about something else?
Probably got more writing done. :)

Or did more face-to-face socializing at cafes or pubs.

Captain_Campion
10-21-2005, 09:36 PM
What they probably didn't do was use the internet for extensive research. Between satellite maps to get locations correct to fire arms specifications to language translations to exploring mythology and religious stories...yes, I'd say that the small amount of time spent visiting a discussion forum is more than made up for in the speed of research.

Ain't the internet great?

trebuchet
10-22-2005, 03:27 AM
Last month's internet bill: $34.90
Number of husband's important business calls missed: Who knows?
Freedom from hollow feelings of isolation: priceless.

Uncletrunx
10-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Well, it's good news that the lack of a phone call doesn't mean we're just waiting for the inevitable. I just hope those of us still waiting get some news soon.

The other good news is that I got a doughnut on the way home! :)

WVWriterGirl
10-25-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm still wondering if the overnighted packages are being considered, since the submission didn't got to the P.O. Box specified in the open call. I know I've been beating that dead horse since the beginning, but I'm wondering not which letter I'll receive, but if I'll receive one at all.

DaveKuzminski
10-25-2005, 08:41 PM
You guys have it easy. Back in the old days before the Internet, we had to hitchhike to New York and Chicago each week to check the trash cans in the alley to see if we'd been mentioned in any memos. Of course, we pooled our resources so that one of us could cover for the other since trash day was the same in those cities. ;)

Oh, and we had to soak old manuscripts in tubs to recover the ink so we could re-ink the ribbons for our typewriters. ;)

badducky
10-25-2005, 08:50 PM
Yeah, these days we only hitchike to new york and chicago to sleep with receptionists and assistants in the name of "networking"...

At least, that's what I would do if I was better looking.

Pencilone
10-26-2005, 01:58 PM
If it weren't for you guys to come out with some news from time to time, sometimes I wonder if this is not but just a dream... :Huh:

Euan H.
10-27-2005, 03:51 AM
.... Back in the old days before the Internet, we had to hitchhike to New York and Chicago each week to check the trash cans in the alley to see if we'd been mentioned in any memos.
Luxury.

See, we had it tough. When we went to New York and Chicago, we walked. And we were grateful! And when we got there, we had to check the trash cans, and then sleep in them! And you didn't hear us complaining. And if the editors wanted to contact us, they'd rush out of their buildings and stab us in't eye. And that were if we were accepted!

NicoleJLeBoeuf
10-27-2005, 07:23 PM
They will be sending out letters -- and that's a quote -- to people whose full MS they want to see AND whose work they will be passing on.So I don't need to be worried that maybe I'm missing something by not answering my cell phone when caller ID says the originating number is "1234"?

That's a relief!

Myrddin
10-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Someone on the Wizard's board admitted to getting a phone call ofr a manuscript back in September, so calls did go out.

But as dragonjax indicated, letters can also contain good news. :)

Speaking of which, my mailbox is empty. My head is hanging. But my pen has ink, so I keep writing. ;)

LloydBrown
10-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Someone on the Wizard's board admitted to getting a phone call ofr a manuscript back in September, so calls did go out.

But as dragonjax indicated, letters can also contain good news. :)

Speaking of which, my mailbox is empty. My head is hanging. But my pen has ink, so I keep writing. ;)

For those who haven't heard anything, take heart. Apparently, the open call is now an annual event. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/main/submissions

dragonjax
10-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Another day, another no-envelope-from-WotC.

My birthday's in December. Maybe I'll hear something by then. :popcorn:

Pencilone
10-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Oh, come December! :FairydustPicture Santa spreading around rejection letters (but shiny ones with ribbons, chocolate and a nice comment to sweeten the pain!)... Mmmmm..... :rolleyes:

badducky
10-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm sure it isn't as bleak as all that.

Instead of sweating letters, how far along are you on your next book?

dragonjax
10-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Actually, badducky, I'm finishing the first draft today. :banana:

76,500 words so far; I figure when I'm done later, I'll get up to around 78,000. For a first draft, I'm pretty darn happy. Figure after about a week or so away from it, I can start on the joy of revisions. My goal is to have it ready for submission by the end of November, hitting around 80,000 words.

:hooray:

Anyone else?

mhughes
10-28-2005, 08:15 PM
Anyone else?

23,189 words. Aiming to finish around December or January. Not bad when you only have an hour or two each night to work on it. Now, if someone would grant me an additional 10 hours of the day, then I'd be somewhere.

WVWriterGirl
10-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Not doing to much in the way of novel-writing these days, but I've written about ten or so short stories since the close of the first call (complete w/ rewrites and all revisions). I've got another one that I'm going to start some time this weekend, if I can dig up the time somewhere. Sufficient?

Pencilone
10-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Congrats DragonJax! I'll catch up with you at the end of November (I plan to Nano this year too!).:) I hope all will be just ready for the next submission by the middle of December.

Best of Luck everyone!

brinkett
10-28-2005, 08:43 PM
I didn't submit to WotC, but I check this thread religiously to see who's still in the running. It's sort of like WotC Idol! Wish they'd hurry up and announce the votes! :)

dragonjax
10-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Wish they'd hurry up and announce the votes! :)
I believe I speak for everyone here when I say:

WE DO, TOO!

badducky
10-30-2005, 10:32 PM
I vote for Leonard Nimoy.

dragonjax
10-30-2005, 11:17 PM
On general principle, or did he write something Spockalicious?

Uncletrunx
10-31-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm sure it isn't as bleak as all that.

Instead of sweating letters, how far along are you on your next book?
Well, I have a working title for it...

I've been busy editing the living daylights out of this one. I think I'd better stop fiddling with it. After all, if you fiddle with it too much, you go blind.

dragonjax
10-31-2005, 04:48 PM
I've been busy editing the living daylights out of this one. I think I'd better stop fiddling with it. After all, if you fiddle with it too much, you go blind.
Yeah, I hear that. I'm on a self-imposed vacation from my new book. No touching the draft until November 7. Meanwhile, I'm working on the synopsis, icky, evil thing that it is. And the query, of course. Oooh, yes, I can't wait to get back on the query go round! Joy! Rapture!

mhughes
11-01-2005, 06:31 PM
No reply here from WoTC. So per my previous agreement with myself that if I didn't hear back by November 1st, it is time to enter the new open call. I'm thinking my package never made it to them in the first place.

Probably for the better. I found a few errors in what I sent to them so I can clean that up. Probably have to rewrite the synopsis. I just dread looking at that <insert every swear word possible here> thing. Ugh.

matt

dragonjax
11-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Good luck, Matt!

Still nothing on my end, either. Le sigh.

But hey, today's a bright new day, and a bright new month! I shall rename November as Wizember. Yes, this shall be the month in which we all hear from Wizards about the 2004 open call. No entry shall be overlooked!

Welcome to Wizember 2005! :Clap:

Hmmm. Did someone spike my coffee?

badducky
11-01-2005, 06:55 PM
If anybody ate as much chocolate as I ate last night <<sucrose-induced flashback: one for you, one for you, and two for me... and another for me... cute costume, kid. if you take a peanut butter cup, I'll tear your face off. Hey! Only candy corn for you! If it says Hershey's it's not there for you! It's there because I want to show you how much good candy I have that you don't get to have. Ooh, man, it's so good... mine.... mmmmmm..... mine....>> then you're probably not going to be very productive today. Frankly, I don't think we'll ehar from anyone for quite some time.

Isn't it great how the holy day's of obligation also usually fall on a day when you're probably hung over and in need of a little forgiveness?

Back on subject: If they're doing what I suspect they're doing, they aren't going to announce anything official until the contract boiler-plate is finished, and until after that boilerplate is negotiated.

If you haven't heard a word, it's because they haven't made a decision on you, yet.

All Saint's Special Beverage: Place hershey kisses side by side at the bottom of a coffee cup, then cover the kisses to their tip with Bailey's Irish Cream, then add a shot of triple sec, and fill to the top with very hot, fresh quality coffee.

Little hair of the dog...

DaveKuzminski
11-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Cautionary note for Badducky, remember to take foil and little paper strip off of the kisses. ;)

dragonjax
11-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Cautionary note for Badducky, remember to take foil and little paper strip off of the kisses. ;)
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Thanks for the laugh, Dave!

dragonjax
11-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Back on subject: If they're doing what I suspect they're doing, they aren't going to announce anything official until the contract boiler-plate is finished, and until after that boilerplate is negotiated.

If you haven't heard a word, it's because they haven't made a decision on you, yet.
Along with being passionate about chocolate (and that shows you have fabulous taste), you're also probably right on the money here. If they're still doing the lawyer thing, then yeah, it would be in their best interest to get that all hammered out before moving forward.

Okay, so literally, no news is good news...

badducky
11-01-2005, 07:23 PM
Yeah, if you see me passed out somewhere with little paper flags hanging out of my mouth, you know what happened.

By your fourth All Saint's Special, those wrappers get REALLY HARD!

Myrddin
11-01-2005, 08:10 PM
No wonder I had that sharp shiver through my fillings when I drank it....

No word here.

Uncletrunx
11-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Nor here.

If they accept my book and publish it, the royalties might boost my pension!

NicoleJLeBoeuf
11-03-2005, 10:19 PM
No word here, either, but I get these weird (http://www.nicolejleboeuf.com/journal/index.php?criteria=date&value=20051101024800) dreams (http://www.nicolejleboeuf.com/journal/index.php?criteria=date&value=20050912092520) from time to time. Does my nerves no favors, I can tell you.

Pencilone
11-03-2005, 10:46 PM
Don't know why, but your dreams seem so familiar to me...:D

No news here either.:)

dragonjax
11-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Another gno gnews is good gnews with Gary Gnu day. :)

Myrddin
11-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Another gno gnews is good gnews with Gary Gnu day. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gifI remember that show! I guess I just dated myself... http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteSsh.gif

I guess when all start a wave
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteTheWave.gif

But I prefer what we're doing. lol
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emotedeadhorse.gif

No word here... Yes, no news is good news, but at this point, I'd rather get my "No thanks" letter so I can start shopping my manuscript around somewhere else. I just want to put this thing behind me.

dragonjax
11-04-2005, 05:42 AM

OMG, the dead horse is too funny!

Er.

What does that say about me?

Eek.

Myrddin
11-04-2005, 08:01 PM
lol I'm not trying to say anything about anybody. :)

I just saw that in the smilie list and HAD to find a way to use it. :poke:

:snoopy:

dragonjax
11-08-2005, 01:11 AM
Another week, another nada. Still waiting eagerly for my rejection slip.

Anyone else hear anything?

badducky
11-08-2005, 02:51 AM
I've heard something new...

but I'm not telling.

Frankly, you don't want to know.

It's unexciting.

It's dull.

It's not really important.

I don't think any of you will care about it.

Nope.

I won't tell.

Quit looking at me!

Okay, I guess I might tell you. If you promise to keep it a secret:

Or should I?

No.

Well, alright. I'll tell you what new thing I know.

lawyers are finalizing the boilerplate for the new contract to be offered. They're lawyers. You know... LAWYERS! They can't even eat lunch without scrutanizing the menu choices for all kinds of liability in the language. These are the same breed of pros that sued McDonald's for making someone fat. So, be patient. These guys are doing what they do, and we're too afraid of them to tell them to hurry up.

Here's what else I know: Random House distributes the new imprint. Borders has already pre-ordered large quantities.

Here's what I advise: go to your local bookstore, and figure out who will be sitting next to you on the shelf. Try to imagine what book would really fit in well right there. Are you between McCaffrey and McDevitt? Perhaps the readers of these books would like scientific leprechauns breathing blarney breath all over the invading micro-organisms from a distant star. Who will you be sitting next to?

If Robert Heinlein were here, do you think he would be wringing his hands on a message board? No. He'd have written seventy short stories, compiled three or four new novels, and changed the face of science-fiction at least twice by now. So get to work!

dragonjax
11-08-2005, 03:52 AM
Thanks, badducky!!!

Ooh. How does that work -- is it still WotC on the spine, or RH?

Myrddin
11-08-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks, badducky!!!

Ooh. How does that work -- is it still WotC on the spine, or RH?
Neither. It's a new imprint with a new name and logo. (For example: Del Rey (Terry Brooks books) and Bantam Spectra (George Martin books) are both imprints of Random House.) I'm kind of curious what the imprint's name will be. Something cool, I hope. :)

And thanks for the report, badducky! I hope this means you're in somehow.

And since I still haven't heard anything, perhaps I'm in too...

EDIT: Just googled RH and Wizards.
8/22/05 (http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6249980.html?pubdate=8%2F22%2F2005&display=archive)
"Random House continues its distribution push, signing Wizards of the Coast. Wizards is known for its tie-in fantasy products and the YA line Mirrorstone; it publishes a total of 600 titles. Wizards had been with Holtzbrinck; the new pact begins in January."