PDA

View Full Version : Attaching illustrations to an email proposal

Fresie
03-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Hello all,

I've been trying to solve it myself for some time now and I now I can see I can't, I need your advice and experience.

Quite a few agents these days started accepting queries and proposals by email, and a few, only by email. I need to send a proposal to one such agent, who only accepts proposals by email, and only (naturally) as an MS Word attachment.

The problem is, the proposed book relies heavily on colourful illustrations (photos) and the proposal is meaningless without them. I've managed to embed all the pics into a Word file (clever me :) ), but is it all right to do so? Maybe the pics can contain viruses even when saved in Word? Or is there any other way to send them? This agent does consider art and photography books, so it means it has to be doable.

What would you do? Thanks a lot for your help!

SHBueche
03-16-2008, 02:18 AM
I have embedded them in word documents before, I think that is the way to go. Also, I might include one small photo in your e-mail message to give them an idea before they even open the document.

Skylynx
03-16-2008, 09:30 PM
How do you "imbed?"

aka eraser
03-17-2008, 12:30 AM
I'd drop the agent a note and ask him his preferences.

Fresie
03-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Thanks for your encouragement, SHBueche! You've made me feel better about it. I'll do as you say.

I'd drop the agent a note and ask him his preferences.
Thanks a lot, eraser! I thought about it myself, too. I'd do so, only I'm afraid he'll reject it straight away. Getting a bit paranoid, see. :) I think I'll risk sending the illustrations as a separate MS Word file, and then he can open it if he wants.

SkyLynx, I've discovered you can't just "copy and paste" a JPEG picture into a Word document, it won't do it, for some reason, so what I did, I opened the picture not as a JPEG file but as an Internet Explorer file and then copied the picture off the Internet Explorer page and pasted it into the Word document, and it got pasted right onto the page where I wanted it just fine!

Thanks a lot for your help, guys, I wouldn't be able to solve it without you!

wordsmith
03-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Fresie, thanks for this thread! I too was going to have a similar question about including sample images for the proposal of my current WIP. I'd never thought of the method you described for embedding them in the document. :)

kimmer
03-17-2008, 10:12 PM
One more option is to cut and paste pictures into a Word file, and then save the Word doc as a PDF file. That's what I do. That way, the recipient views the document as I intended.

Fresie
03-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Thanks a lot, kimmer! Erika, good luck with your proposal!