PDA

View Full Version : Foreword question

wordsmith
03-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Hi everybody. I haven't been in here in a bit...been working on the platform maintaining and freelance writing and on my other WIP.

I'm getting the first set of pages tomorrow for the WIP that's finished (The Right Words) and got word from my agent that the person whom he asked on my behalf to write the foreword said, "yes." But, I need a word count, which my editor didn't supply before giving me the deadline for the foreword. (I know, I should've asked.)

So, it's Friday. I got the e-mail from my agent long after everyone probably left the publisher's office, and nobody will be in the office until Monday. So I e-mailed my editor at home to see if she could give me an idea. I don't want to write Mr. X to thank him and pass on the PDFs of the pages without the word count that he needs.

So in the event that she doesn't get a chance to get back to me, anybody have a good idea for how long the foreword should be, so that I can give him an outer-limit-ballpark figure?

Thanks bunches!

(I am so psyched...I get the physical pages tomorrow to review!)

johnrobison
03-15-2008, 05:57 PM
Since the foreward does not have to fit an assigned space like a magazine article, there is no standard length.

SHBueche
03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I'd go with 500 to 1,000 words or so, short and to the point.

sgunelius
03-15-2008, 06:49 PM
The foreward can be any length as long as the overall word count of your book still falls within the maximum the publisher originally requested.

Congrats!

wordsmith
03-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks all for your advice. Amazingly enough, he already wrote it with only the non-tracked versions of the first four chapters...and he did a fabulous job. It came in at 703 words for the body...so I think we're still within the book's word count.