Getting ahead of myself or a good way of promoting??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_Lorena26

Registered
Reaction score
I really believe in my book....so much I made myspace profiles for my characters.................not all just five. I thought that If I got them out there by the time I finished my book it would encourage people to buy the book. They have done pretty good especially my main character- Lennox who already has 62 friends.
The way I did it was I made a profile adding a little about them, a little of the story line, likes and so forth. It was quite funny because I had thought of making Lennox and Danella a couple some where along the line and a friend to Lennox suggested it as well. So I am getting ideas just as I am exposing them.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I think it's immoral to clog those networking sites with fictional people, but that's just me. If I were you, I'd wait until you're in the revision stages, so you are absolutely sure you're going to make it to the very end of the project.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's an interesting idea, because although the people aren't real, the author is. So it might be a way to interact with your favorite author? Are there other writers out there doing that? I've never been on myspace myself, and I just opened up a face book account and I find the whole thing terrifying. But, in any event, welcome to AW!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I have to confess I created a site for my MC. This was after I was published and really I just did it cause I was bored one day. But I could see it being a cool way of staying in touch with fans if you put in the effort (I haven't, I think Alex has like 5 friends or something). I put more work into my Adrienne myspace page though.

Anyway, if anyone wants to be Alex's friend: www.myspace.com/alexmorningside

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I really believe in my book....so much I made myspace profiles for my characters.................not all just five. . . .
That sounds creative and positive. I like it. (Heck, I might steal that idea for a book I am publishing
icon10.gif
.)

Good luck with your book!

--Ken

Angel_Lorena26

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I just wanted to say thank you to all who have responded to my post, and for the support. Personally I think it's a good idea and encourage others to try it to see how it goes. It requires alot of work, and creativity but its fun as well.

.myspace/lennoxsavuer
.myspace/antonsavuer
.myspace/danellalangerfield
.myspace/adanmontalv
.myspace/laurelleDuSant

Last edited:

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
I think its a great idea as long as it is on social networking sites that don't have a specific purpose. So, on Myspace go for it (actually, your not the only one, there are some big name publishers that are also beginning to do this), but on others (such as bookmarketing.ning.com) I think it would be morally unsound.

So, it depends on the social network and its purpose.

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
I made profiles for my two major characters. In fact, you've reminded me to go and clear the spam.

(One of them's a robot, and you wouldn't believe the laughs I get when 'hot webcam girlz' keep propositioning him.)

Oh yeah, the links:

http://www.myspace.com/realhalspacejock
http://www.myspace.com/xg99

I was trying to make them worthwhile in their own right ... e.g, not just ads for the books, but a bit creative and with some humourous content.

giusti

Registered
Reaction score
I think that if nothing else, it's good character development.

An besides, Stijn...aren't we all fictional characters on the inside?....I mean, we all put our pants on one leg at a time. And we put hats on...sometimes.....Is the room moving?.....I like the shape the monitor's in--it's very stylish.....Watermelon...

*floats away dreamily*

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
Think it sounds like a good idea, esp. in terms of character development...but I wonder: is all that time spent on their MySpace pages time that you could be devoting to finishing the story instead? :)

People

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peopleinthesun.com
Actually, that's how I started blogging in the first place. I was starting to write a book and thought about giving the characters web presence. But I didn't know anything about that so I started my own blog, thinking I would create one for the characters later. That never happened, but I'm a happy blogger now.

I actually got this idea from Lost (the TV show). Between the seasons, they had a game where fans tried to piece a puzzle from different websites. They had a fictional character putting clues on Flickr, another one putting up videos on YouTube, a website dedicated to their fictional airline...

So, no. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, as long as you don't hurt anyone. When a MySpace friend becomes a real friend you may start having problems with that. You probably don't want anyone falling in love with your fictional character, thinking they're real people.

Rattus

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting idea, and like Susan, I find myspace a bit terrifying.

I have heard some authors create blogs using their main protagonists, which is something I might consider doing once I have made the finishing touches on my many re-writes.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.