Allergic to "because"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Has because become a dirty word? I increasingly read, especially in jargon-filled technology text, the perfectly acceptable word "because" substituted with since, as or due to. Why is this?

For example (and these all occurred in the same paragraph):

"Long delays make it difficult for callers to have a natural speech pattern to their conversation as it is difficult to determine when the other person is finished talking."

"Delays on IP networks can cause latency to exceed 150 milliseconds due to data and voice congestion."

"With VoIP, the transport medium has changed since the PCM voice traffic is now carried over an IP network."

Is it me, or wouldn't because (or because of) be the most appropriate word in all these cases? (Can you tell that I am, again, The Frustrated Editor?)

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
This is a very good question! I've noticed that in some other writings as well.

I'm looking forward to hearing what some of the folks on here have to say about this.

:)

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Maybe it is because "because" is something kids say. You know, the old why did you ------? Because. Anyway, the poor old word has been downgraded socially. Mostly the fluffisms are catching on by imitation. One highsnoot uses a certain phrase, and someone else uses it in order to sound like a highsnoot. "Due to" has that certain classy sound, almost like a lawyer or a doctor wrote it, veddy respectable. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, if it sounds highsnoot to the common ear, it is a Good Thing.

"As" is just getting really bad all around. *shudder*

Shanster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starrydollz.com
I've noticed that people are using 'because' less, and when I asked a couple of them why, I learned that it's apparently an overused word. Now it's started to become underused. Personally, though, I couldn't live without that word.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I have the impression since I have been a member here and as I read certain threads, and after attending writers conferences that soon we will be told to write no words because all will have been used too much, as if I care. Today the word, tomorrow punctuation?

:Headbang:

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

I like the way your worded that, donroc!

:D

Last edited:

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
It's not just "because"; anything with "since" and "as" substituting "because" as a conjunction needs rewriting, if you ask me. Of course "as" in say "as to seem" is perfectly legit. "Because" in dialogue is unavoidable.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
It really is a clunky word.

The other words help the flow of the sentence so much more than "because".

Status
Not open for further replies.