Your Inner Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
So, one of the writing groups I belong to on LJ had a post about the 'inner editor.' Basically, the post mentioned how we all have one and it tends to get in the way of writing as we try to keep up creative steam. This just got me thinking and really turned around the way I approach things, so I thought I'd share what my experience was. In case anyone is similar.

Basically, my inner editor is a perfectionist. I've decided it's a he, so I will refer to the IE as 'he' (or IE) from here on. Basically, he picks apart my writing. More so since I started really delving into editing. Sometimes as I edit, I'm hyperconscious of all the things I've done wrong to the point that I lose the meaning of the words and just see the issues. Then I lose my faith in my abilities and the steam to write.

That said, the IE is great for when I need to take a real harsh look at what should be fixed in my writing. The editing process has been great education for me and I appreciate that I can look at my work and cut thousands of words without getting teary-eyed when the words just don't fit with the story. For this, I thank my inner editor.

But as I write, he goes 'you use that word way too much. stop it!' or 'you need to find other ways to show not tell!' or what have you. And really, what I need to do is just write all the way through and tell the story. If I stop to edit and nitpick, I lose steam. And I end up endlessly editing passages that might be cut entirely. Which is counterproductive.

So now, I've just locked poor IE in a closet as I write my first drafts. I still feed him bread and water and I promise he can come out to tear my writing apart after I finish the first draft, but he needs to stay quiet and let me write first.

*disclaimer: I really do not believe there are other voices/personalities in my head. It's just a way to look at the perfectionist tendencies in me and get past that :) and don't worry, you're just as sane as I am ;)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
There's not really other voices or personalities in your head? You do know that, here, it is safe to admit otherwise, don't you? We won't turn you over to the men with the funny white coats or the medicinal cocktails.

When I saw the title of your thread, my first reaction, before I read it, was "Lock it up. Tie him up. Use duct tape!" Really, that's about the only way to deal with the internal editor.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
When I saw the title of your thread, my first reaction, before I read it, was "Lock it up. Tie him up. Use duct tape!" Really, that's about the only way to deal with the internal editor.

Mmm medicinal cocktails! :) Seriously though, the only voices are the characters. Hmm... I think I'm okay as long as they don't tell me to kill the president?

And yes! Duct tape is excellent for inner editors. Mine is taking surprisingly well to his captivity. He made some noise for the first few days, but has been incredibly quiet. I just hope I don't kill him, cuz I need him for when I need to get out the exacto knife and edit.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if the president you they tell you to kill is another character and not the actual president, you're okay, too. Just be careful with the research on that one.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com

Yes, I think the other way works better in the long run: Embrace your inner editor. Give him a great big warm hug. "Thank you, inner editor, for caring so much about the quality of my work, for wanting to make sure that I don't make a damned fool of myself." Then make a note of what the IE is saying, promise (sincerely!) to follow up on it later, and continue writing. And be sure to follow up on it later, or in the future your IE will (rightly) think you're swindling him.

Dale

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Yes, I think the other way works better in the long run: Embrace your inner editor. Give him a great big warm hug. "Thank you, inner editor, for caring so much about the quality of my work, for wanting to make sure that I don't make a damned fool of myself."
Then, having lulled him into a false sense of security, stab him in the face.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
sometimes the problem with locking him up is he won't come out to play when I need him!- My IE is very tempermental. Oh, I freely admit to the voices in my head.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My IE is very well trained, rather like a very good dog. It lays there at my feet while I write and only lifts its head to look at me when I mutter something under my breath or call it to go fetch something for me--like proper grammar, or a certain word, or correct structure to a sentence. Then it gets patted and lays back down to wait for the next necessity. At the end of every scene/chapter, then I do my editing, whip everything into shape, and then go back to writing.

And I'm suddenly thinking of Cesar Milan, "You must exercise your inner editor and become a strong pack leader. If there is no leader, it will try to be the leader." LOL!

But it is true. I've never had a problem with my IE. Muses, OTOH, need to be bound and gagged and locked away in dungeons to rot. But, that's my experience.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
You need to promise him you'll write 10 creative, yet crappy, chapters and then let him off the chain. Back in the cage after edit and repeat process until book is finished.

JJ

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My IE and I are one. My only joy in writing is to hang out with the Editor, whisper conspiratorially, high-five him when we get it right and knee him in the nuts when he just sits there with a blank expression on his face.

Of course, it takes me forever to write things, but it's never lonely. And when we're clicking, I never have to write the same thing five times. Hurrah!

I'm going to lobby for an Internal Editors' Day. They are the most reviled and underappreciated chaps in the business.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't have an internal editor. I have to shop around to find the editor in me once I complete first draft. I usually drive around inside my brain looking at the bus stop benches and find him sitting at one staring off into space. I coax him into my brain car by offering him a non-stop flow of coffee and cookies. Eventually he jumps into the car and I take him to my WIP. But when I am writing first draft...I let him wander through the public transit of my mind. I leave him alone and he leaves me alone. It works this way.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
If I work on only one project at a time, my IE throws a fit. I mean a first-class hissy fit like you'd expect from a very spoiled child who's finally been told "no." But if I'm working on two projects in various stages, say creating/writing the first draft of one and editing another, then my IE is happy and lets me write when I'm supposed to and will be content to just edit the one he's supposed to be working on.

At least, that's how it's worked for me for the past year. (Heh. ALmost exactly a year since that's when I started working on Kiernan's Curse.)

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
My inner editor cooperated for NaNo. Right now I'm revising so she has full control. And boy is she slow... wtb caffeine for inner editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.