Way Out of Genre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
Did you ever have a story you wanted to write, then thought you'd like to submit, but were afraid to because it was way out of your genre? What are you supposed to do with stories like that? Let them molder? What if you think they're half-decent, you just aren't. . . sure?

For those interested, I've had a comedy sci-fi idea knocking around my brain ever since I read the Hitchhiker's series by Douglas Adams. I read "A Man Said to the Universe" by Stephen Crane and I couldn't take it anymore. I wrote the story. All 12,500 words. It feels more like 125,000 words.

If you haven't guessed--and why would you--I've been posting bits and pieces of the story in my signature. It's as polished as I could get it, but I wonder if I should subject slush-pile readers to the sad blackhole that is my sense of comedy?

Do you think if I posted parts of the story on SYW: Comedy, I'd get ravenous jackals set upon me?

What do you think it is that sometimes compels writers to write outside--sometimes way outside--their genre?

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Ooh, there's a tough one. I'm big into the sci-fi/fantasy genre. Big into it, as in, that's all I right. But I've had this great idea for at least three years now that would really be a literary or more mainstream novel. It's there in the back of my head, and I've always wanted to tap into it because I think it could be great. The thing is, I'm not sure I can write in a world where I'm bound to the 'rules' of the normal world (i.e, no magic, special powers, etc.)

Sometimes though, I think that we just need to blindly follow our muse where he/she chooses to take us. Sometimes these turn out to be our best stories.

Though I would say that at 12,500 words, it might be a tough sell. It sounds too long for the short stories market and too short for the novel or even novella market. So if you want to submit it to the slush piles, I would first determine where it belongs and edit (or expand) to reflect the word count for whichever format you believe it belongs in.

Good luck with this! I would also highly recommend posting it in SYW. Or... (*cough* shameless self-promotion *cough*) check out my sig and come share it over at my LJ crit group.

Umm, I swear I didn't comment to self-promote. But seriously though, getting some feedback is a good way to figure out what to do with your story and how to improve it, etc.

And I doubt you'd get ravenous jackals. The people who comment in SYW are usually pretty nice ;)

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
You'll never know what types of crits you'll receive until you post it.

As far as "writing outside genre," there are many writers who are their own genre, whose works could be defined by many different genres as they progress and develop over the years. Some even write under pseudonyms, a different one for each genre. There is no need to confine or limit yourself. Permit yourself to explore your own boundaries and creativity limits.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently working on a fantasy romance - sooooo not in my genre! It just cried out to be written. Is it any good? Dunno. Will I mind if it's not? Nup.

If someone is mad enough to take it on, it will probably be the only book published in my real name.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Well I write mostly fantasy with a bit of sci fi - those two genres I can probably get away with.

But I had this absolute killler idea for a mainstream contemporary mystery. If I ever write it/ get it published, I'll probably use my maiden name.

And go to SYW. We don't bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.