PDA

View Full Version : I gave $5 today

DWSTXS
03-13-2008, 12:46 AM
I gave $5 today to a 'homeless' person today.

Some will say I was nice, some will say I wasted $5.

The reason I did it is that I have had help (twice) in the past year from a friend, and a relative. I know how I felt, when I was in need, and after, when I immediately felt better.

The $5 doesn't begin to pay back what I owe, and I don't care what the guy uses it for. That's his business, not mine. I didn't want to adopt him, just help a little bit.
I'm not expecting kudo's either. Just wanted to say what I did and why.

sandyn
03-13-2008, 01:35 AM
I believe in 'paying it forward.' If the $5 helped him and made you feel good, then good for you.

Ken
03-13-2008, 01:40 AM
I gave a pumpernickel bagel to a homeless person about a year ago. I'd just bought two from a store down the block. I felt good afterwards, though a bit hungry.

DWSTXS
03-13-2008, 01:44 AM
When I see a homeless person, I always start thinking about where I would go, what I would do, where I would sleep.

For instance, to get food, I would hang out near a Costco or Sam's and walk in behind someone (as if I was with them) and I would gorge on all the free food samples they hand out.

To sleep, I would find an apt that has a nice cozy laundry room.

SpookyWriter
03-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Did I forget to say "thanks"?

Appalachian Writer
03-13-2008, 03:02 AM
Several years ago, I ran a housing agency which included a homeless shelter. We're a small community and it was a woefully underfunded agency so we helped a little more than 500 people, if you counted our clothing closet. If one of the guys who stayed there periodically got $5.00, guess what he usually did with it? Did you guess? Of course, you did. He usually bought some cheap beer or a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20. I guess it salved his anguish for twenty or thirty minutes. DWSTXS, even if the guy gets drunk and subsequently kicked out of sheltered living, your heart was in the right place. A word of advice, next time, buy him a sandwich and a cup of coffee.

KTC
03-13-2008, 03:04 AM
I always give when I have it. I have no reason not to.

DWSTXS
03-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Did I forget to say "thanks"?

Yes, but you showed me you were #1 ! (that is what that finger means, right?)

SpookyWriter
03-13-2008, 03:32 AM
Yes, but you showed me you were #1 ! (that is what that finger means, right?)I only have one good finger and I used it tonight to spread peanut butter on my bread.

Medievalist
03-13-2008, 05:28 AM
I give away food cards for chain restaurants and bus passes pretty frequently.

melaniehoo
03-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Several years ago I gave a homeless person a muffin I'd bought at lunch but ended up saving for dinner. I'd never tried this particular flavor but the others from this restaurant were good. He seemed grateful and I felt good about helping him out. About a month later I bought the same type of muffin since I never got to taste it and it was NASTY! I felt so bad about the homeless guy I unintentionally tortured with evil baked goods!

robeiae
03-13-2008, 05:50 AM
I always give when I have it. I have no reason not to.
We're talking charity, here. Not STDs...

SpookyWriter
03-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Several years ago I gave a homeless person a muffin I'd bought at lunch but ended up saving for dinner. I'd never tried this particular flavor but the others from this restaurant were good. He seemed grateful and I felt good about helping him out. About a month later I bought the same type of muffin since I never got to taste it and it was NASTY! I felt so bad about the homeless guy I unintentionally tortured with evil baked goods!That would explain why you are living in Mexico.

KTC
03-13-2008, 06:14 AM
We're talking charity, here. Not STDs...

I'm not smiling, Harvey.

robeiae
03-13-2008, 06:32 AM
I'm not smiling, Harvey.
Too much botox?

KTC
03-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Too much botox?

Not enough nitrous oxide and too much Robieaieiiaieiaieiaieieaiieaiea, actually.

SpookyWriter
03-13-2008, 06:34 AM
Too much smallpox?:roll: Another Indian plague.

KTC
03-13-2008, 06:35 AM
:roll: Another Indian plague.

Shut up and hold my blanket for me, will ya.

kellytijer
03-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Y'know, we were just talking about this last night in my critique group. We were split down the middle. Half always give, half never do. My husband and I give on a regular basis to about 6 different charities, we like the free address labels and calendars. :)

Yesterday afternoon, my 9 year old daughter happened to have a few bucks on her. We were at a stoplight and there was a man holding a sign that said "Cheeseburger" on one side and "Dos Tacos" on the other. She wanted to give him her money and I told her no. Felt guilty about it on and off for the rest of the day...

KTC
03-13-2008, 06:45 AM
I usually try not to guess where the money is going to. If I have it, and someone is down enough to ask for it...I usually give it. My son and I walk a certain way to the hockey game whenever we go. There's this guy who stands inside a tunnel almost every day of the year...just jamming like mad on a portable electric guitar. I know this is different than someone who just has their hand out. But we go his way all the time and throw a few bucks into his guitar case. He can scream on that thing. Busking is a hard job...I give him kudos for showing up every day. My son loves to listen to him and I enjoy paying for the right to listen. There are usually also many homeless people along our route to the hockey games...we make an effort to have our pockets filled with toonies and loonies whenever we go downtown. Who's it hurting, right? And I have taught my son to look these people in the eye...make communion with them.

SpookyWriter
03-13-2008, 06:45 AM
Shut up and hold my blanket for me, will ya.I'm not about to squaw away my bearskin for a canuck.

spasticpancake
03-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Last summer I walked to a sandwich shop in town, and there was a man sitting in the doorway. He asked me for money and told me he was homeless, but I didn't have any change so I told him I would make it up to him on the way out. Instead of getting change for him I just bought him a sandwich and a cup of soup. When I gave him the sandwich, he opened the bag, took out the sandwich, and looked inside the bag. He asked me where his change was, and then proceeded to scream, "I didn't want no sandwich, woman, where's my damn change? What the hell am I gonna do with soup?!"

To this day I remain thoroughly confused.

I still like to give to people, if I have anything. I always feel guilty when I don't have anything to give. I once gave a homeless man a bouncy ball that I had in my pocket since I didn't have any change. I try to give what I can to people, because if I were in need I would hope someone would do what they could to help me.

kellytijer
03-13-2008, 07:05 AM
I once gave a homeless man a bouncy ball that I had in my pocket since I didn't have any change.

You're my favorite person ever. A bouncy ball? :roll:

Did he say, "Thanks. Gotta bounce?"

Seriously though, what did he say when you gave him that?

spasticpancake
03-13-2008, 07:10 AM
You're my favorite person ever. A bouncy ball? :roll:

Did he say, "Thanks. Gotta bounce?"

Seriously though, what did he say when you gave him that?

No, but I wish he did. He picked it up and looked back and forth between the bouncy ball and me with a really perplexed look on his face. Then he just kinda sighed and bounced it up and down on the ground in front of him.

I couldn't give him a home or food, but I gave him hours of entertainment.

SpookyWriter
03-13-2008, 07:13 AM
I couldn't give him a home or food, but I gave him hours of entertainment.:roll: Teach a man to fish...and he'll have hours of entertainment, but go home hungry. Just ask Silverking.

kellytijer
03-13-2008, 07:16 AM
That's almost as funny as the time a chimp attacked my sister-in-law on the Rock of Gibraltar for her Snickers bar.

benbradley
03-13-2008, 07:20 AM
Last summer I walked to a sandwich shop in town, and there was a man sitting in the doorway. He asked me for money and told me he was homeless, but I didn't have any change so I told him I would make it up to him on the way out. Instead of getting change for him I just bought him a sandwich and a cup of soup. When I gave him the sandwich, he opened the bag, took out the sandwich, and looked inside the bag. He asked me where his change was, and then proceeded to scream, "I didn't want no sandwich, woman, where's my damn change? What the hell am I gonna do with soup?!"

To this day I remain thoroughly confused.
It seems to me he wanted the money. He could save up enough change from several people giving him money, not so he could buy something to eat at that establishment, but so he could go to the liquor store and buy something to drink.

Next time a "urban outdoorsman" asks something from me, I'll tell them "follow me and wait outside" as I go to the nearest liquor store and buy a bottle of Meyer's Dark rum (not cheap stuff!!!) for them. It's what I drank in my last year of drinking (watered down with CocaCola - sugar overload!), and helped me eventually decide that my consumption of alcoholic beverages wasn't such a hot idea...

Medievalist
03-13-2008, 07:37 AM
I do feel like I'm responsible if I give money that I know is going to go to booze.

SpookyWriter
03-13-2008, 07:40 AM
I do feel like I'm responsible if I give money that I know is going to go to booze.No doubt I won't be a begger from your purse. :D

ErylRavenwell
03-13-2008, 10:45 AM

Some will say I was nice, some will say I wasted $5.

The reason I did it is that I have had help (twice) in the past year from a friend, and a relative. I know how I felt, when I was in need, and after, when I immediately felt better.

The $5 doesn't begin to pay back what I owe, and I don't care what the guy uses it for. That's his business, not mine. I didn't want to adopt him, just help a little bit.
I'm not expecting kudo's either. Just wanted to say what I did and why.

Whatever the man did with the five-dollar note is of little relevance. It's the intention that matters. And you shouldn't expect any kudos or thank you either. It is you that should thank the man in your heart for letting you practice charity. Charity, as I undertand, should be done secretly and in all earnestness. The transaction should be between you, that man and that omniscient, omnipotent, yet impotent in its neutrality, force that some call God.

KTC
03-13-2008, 02:11 PM
That's almost as funny as the time a chimp attacked my sister-in-law on the Rock of Gibraltar for her Snickers bar.

Snickers makes a really good bar.

robeiae
03-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Kevin's a Canadian, not a chimp.

KTC
03-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Kevin's a Canadian, not a chimp.

Quite right. But I play a chimp when stealing tourist's Snickers bars. I don't want to be getting myself arrested. Besides, the establishment owed me a Snickers bar.

robeiae
03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Look, footage of Kevin and his band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTmvBzNFY4&feature=related

KTC
03-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Look, footage of Kevin and his band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmTmvBzNFY4&feature=related

I hope you like my rug, baby.

eldragon
03-13-2008, 03:04 PM
When I see a homeless person, I always start thinking about where I would go, what I would do, where I would sleep.

For instance, to get food, I would hang out near a Costco or Sam's and walk in behind someone (as if I was with them) and I would gorge on all the free food samples they hand out.

To sleep, I would find an apt that has a nice cozy laundry room.
I read a few weeks ago that the foreclosure situation in the US has opened up alot of places for squatters to stay.

I also watched a documentary on a homeless people in a town in Florida, and watched what some squatters did the empty house they squatted in. (Got into fights with each other - behaving recklessly and breaking things as they fell around; breaking windows to get in, general things like that.)

So, it's not a good thing.

DWSTXS
03-13-2008, 05:34 PM

Strange. Every time I see a chimp I give them a Snickers bar. Although, one in particular throws them back at me because he's partial to the Hershey's bar.

inkkognito
03-13-2008, 05:58 PM
When my husband worked in downtown Chicago, he became pretty immune to all the pleas of beggars who were in the same spot day after day wheedling money. But one day he saw a guy with a sign that said "Need money for beer." He reached in his pocket for a few bills and said, "I like that honesty. Have a beer on me!"

I did my internship at a social service agency and worked with many people who were one step away from homelessness. I know there are scammers among them, but it's scary to see how the right (wrong?) circumstances can make the difference between having a home and being out on the street. I try to pay it forward through supporting a shelter and handing out individual contributions to people locally.

RLB
03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
We live in downtown Chicago and see it every day. I usually carry around a granola bar in my purse (for some reason I always get hungry walking around and it keeps me from ducking in all the little eateries while I'm out) that I'll offer. Sometimes it's accepted.

At times I've given money. Other times, no. It's something I'm undecided about.

One night a few months ago, my husband and I were walking home with half a Giordano's stuffed pizza leftover that we were excited about eating the next day. I was actively hoping we wouldn't run into anybody, but we did. We were almost at our building when a guy said he was hungry, and my husband and I actually hesitated. Those pizzas are so good. Not our proudest moment (though we wound up giving it to him).

David Erlewine
03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Anything extra I have goes to my mortgage lender. When I'm debt-free I'll consider helping out others less fortunate.

Cranky
03-13-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm a sucker. I give a lot, though it's always small amounts (kids gotta eat, yanno). Only once have I not done so...the lady really made me nervous, to be frank.

Here's an interesting story as a recipient: Last year, my DH and I were in the local Wal-Mart with our boys, buying the usual stuff, diapers and whatnot. Up ahead of us was a guy buying a gazillion cans of Enfamil formula and size one diapers, so we asked him if he had a new baby. Sure enough, he did, as was pleased as punch about it, too. :D Asked us about our boys, etc. His English wasn't that great, and I don't know any Vietnamese, so it was a short conversation, lol. He was trying really hard, though. Wish I knew some Vietnamese!

Anyways, as he was getting ready to leave with his stuff, we start paying for our own, and he reaches over and gives my two older boys a bill. I was like, "Oh my gosh, you don't have to do that!" He gave three of my four kids a $20 bill! Holy cow! He left quickly, before we could stop him, lol.

Anyway, the whole time we were talking, I keep thinking about how familiar he looked to me, even though I didn't know him. Turns out, I did know him, sort of...he was one of a group of several people who hit the biggest jackpot in like the history of the state lottery. What a super nice thing for him to do, and for no reason that I can think of except that he wanted to...