Movies About Books

Dibley

Registered
Reaction score
I loved 84 Charing Cross Road. I like films set in bookstores, or in houses filled with books, or in libraries, anywhere the visual focus is on the books and/or the main character is obsessed by books and reading.
When I do google searches for 'movies about books' people seem to think I'm looking for movies based on real books (for example, Harry Potter) but I'm curious to know if anybody can suggest some more films that simply have books and reading as their main theme. I don't mind the genre, decade, age group or anything.
I loved the way 84 Charing Cross Road had beautiful scenes with bookshelves and you could practically smell the books :)
Thanks for any help!

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
First one that comes to mind is 'You've Got Mail', which involves a small bookshop, or possibly 'The Number 23', 'The Ninth Gate' or 'The Name of the Rose'? Mind's not working very well at present though so that's all I can think of.

ReneC

Relapsed insomniac :(
Registered
Reaction score
The Neverending Story
The Princess Bride
Stranger Than Fiction
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
If you want creepy, there's The Ninth Gate by Roman Polanski, with Johnny Depp tracking down a series of prints in books supposedly co-written with Lucifer.

And have you seen the UK comedy series Black Books? The funniest comedy set in a book store you'll ever see :)

George Romero's The Dark Half chronicles the dark side of creating a nasty character (based on the Stephen King book)

Willie

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Finding Forrestor is a good one.

Dibley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody, I'll go and check those out. Some of them I know and I am already thinking 'of course, should have thought of that' :) and thanks for the ones I didn't know.

williemeikle, I absolutely love Black Books and I agree it's probably the funniest show on the planet.
The book that Manny and Bernard wrote should be available in every store!

Dibley

Registered
Reaction score
Finding Forrestor is a good one.

Thank you! I was trying to think of that one when somebody mentioned Sean Connery to me earlier. Sounds like a good one too.
I do like creepy and I have seen the Ninth Gate but I had forgotten it over time.
This is exactly what I'm looking for.
It's wonderful to be able to ask a question and get diverse answers from people.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Jane Austen's Book Club. Didn't see it -- heard very mixed reviews.

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Evens -- one of the characters has to depend on his knowledge from reading books

Casanova -- Francesca Bruni writes a series of feminist books about Casanova without knowing what he looks like... (and you guess the rest)

Just Jack

King of Procrastination
Registered
Reaction score
I always thought Pet Semetary made an alright crossover.

Although seeing the young son die on camera was much more horrifying, which resulted in me shutting of my VCR for a few minutes.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
The Wonder Boys with Michael Douglas as a pot smoking professor who can't finish his novel, Robert Downey Jr as a lecherous boozing agent and Frances McDormand as the love interest to Michael Douglas - very funny movie

Also, 'Sideways' -Miles was writing a book

Dibley

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to put them all in a convenient list:

84 Charing Cross Road
You've Got Mail
The Number 23
The Ninth Gate
The Name of the Rose
The Neverending Story
The Princess Bride
Stranger Than Fiction
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Black Books (TV show)
The Dark Half
Finding Forrester
Dead Poet's Society.
The Jane Austen Book Club
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events
Casanova
The Wonder Boys
Miss Potter

And, for the record, I found another one in my searching:
The Stone Reader (a documentary about a guy tracking down the obscure writer of a book he liked.)

This has been really helpful.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Lets see.

Prospero's Books a kind of bizarre and kinky take on the Tempest.
Quills might be interpreted as being about books, but maybe not.
The Name of the Rose a suspenseful story where a forbidden book plays an important part. It is an adaptation of a book, though. It was a book about a book, (kind of) which was turned into a movie about a book.

Thats all I can think of for now.

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a perfect example, but Sean Penn's Into the Wild has a lot about books and reading and writing. I really like how the text from the MC's diary shows up on the screen. Don't know if I've ever seen a Hollywood film use a technique like that.

That said, it is a flawed movie. Its incessant romanticization of the MC is way over the top.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This Jim Carrey movie, 32? 27?; anyway. Is about a man obsessed with a book that he read about how everything was connected to this number...

Expect twist at the end

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Another movie about books is The Hoax, starring Richard Gere in the true story about an author who is supposedly writing an authentic authorized biography of Howard Hughes.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
This Jim Carrey movie, 32? 27?; anyway. Is about a man obsessed with a book that he read about how everything was connected to this number...

Expect twist at the end

Number 23 (not a very good movie... kind of ridiculous and the "twist" was predictable).

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
It's not a movie, but it's probably the funniest thing about books ever written... the Blackadder Dictionary episode:

Baldrick: Something wrong, Mr. B?

Edmund: Oh, something's always wrong, Balders. (dumps all bottles and glasses from the drinks tray he is carrying into a barrel, where they all break) The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle. But, today, something's even wronger. That globulus fraud, Dr. Johnson, is coming to tea.

Baldrick: I thought he was the cleverest man in England.

Edmund: Baldrick, I'd bump into cleverer people at a lodge meeting of the Guild of Village Idiots.

Baldrick: That's not what you said when you sent him your navel.

Edmund: *Novel*, Baldrick -- not navel. I sent him my *novel*.

Baldrick: Well, novel or navel, it sounds a bit like a bag of grapefruits to me.

Edmund: The phrase, Baldrick, is "a case of sour grapes," and yes it bloody well is. I mean, he might at least have written back, but no, nothing, not even a "Dear Gertrude Perkins: Thank you for your book. Get stuffed. --Samuel Johnson."

Baldrick: Gertrude Perkins?

Edmund: Yes, I gave myself a female pseudonym. Everybody's doing it these days: Mrs. Ratcliffe, Jane Austin--

Baldrick: What, Jane Austin's a man?

Edmund: Of course -- a huge Yorkshireman with a beard like a rhododendron bush.

Baldrick: Oh, quite a small one, then?

Edmund: Well, compared to Dorothy Wordsworth's, certainly. James Boswell is the only real woman writing at the moment, and that's just because she wants to get inside Johnson's britches.

Baldrick: Perhaps your book really isn't any good.

Edmund: Oh codswallop! It's taken me seven years, and it's perfect. "Edmund: A Butler's Tale." A giant roller coaster of a novel in four hundred sizzling chapters. A searing indictment of domestic servitude in the eighteenth century, with some hot gypsies thrown in. My magnum opus, Baldrick. Everybody has one novel in them, and this is mine.

Baldrick: And *this* is mine (takes a small piece of paper from the front of his trousers). My magnificent octopus.

Edmund: (takes it) This is your novel, Baldrick? (unfolds it)

Baldrick: Yeah -- I can't stand long books.

Edmund: (reads) "Once upon a time, there was a lovely little sausage called `Baldrick', and it lived happily ever after."

Baldrick: It's semi-autobiographical.
Edmund: And it's completely utterly awful. Dr. Johnson will probably love it.

:)
Willie