Maybe-Almost There?

temerity

desperately deadlined!
Registered
Reaction score
Opened up my email today to find I was accepted as a finalist in the Borders Open Door Poetry Contest!--

but although I was really excited, I'm pausing now (is this even the right thread to do that in?) Does anyone know if the contest is legit? My creative writing teacher recommended it, but my parents were suspicious when they heard I'd placed as a finalist--and now I'm doubting the whole contest. I checked on the Writers Beware section--and searched the web--but couldn't find any info.

...and I used to be so excited!
Well, anyway. It's not a form rejection (= goal accomplished)!; I sent in two poems, and they only got back to me on one of them.

Cheers? Haha

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't find much on the contest, just that only 5 students make it to the finalists. You're one of the five, so not too shabby. My first tendency is to say a hearty congratulations for a job well done. I have no idea how many entries there were, but you can beat your bottom dollar there were more than five, so you surely did something right!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
the website says that over 2600 poems were submitted. they will publish ten on their website-five from adults, five from students.
well done!

what poem did you submit?

temerity

desperately deadlined!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, AW and PH!

I was really ecstatic (and on the phone when I opened up the email--my friend said she thought I'd died!)--but I don't want to get too high and then crash down, you know? I'd be happier getting rejected from a legit contest than accepted into one with low standards (or none). The 5 / 2600 sounds great, but the parents' reaction wasn't so great...but I think I'll believe you, PH, so I don't go crazy!

The poem I submitted isn't on here; it's called Jainism. Hopefully I'll be able to post a link if I'm accepted!

Last edited:

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
This is a major accomplishment! That is *a lot* of entries.

Congratulations!