Tomboy Notes 0.9.4: amazingly helpful, if you're running Linux anyway

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Not really a question. More a discovery I want to share. (And only useful for fellow Linux folk, because apparently there's nothing this good for Windows or Mac unless you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it see Fahim's correction below).

So... I've been using Tomboy sticky notes for a while, and they were... useful enough to keep track of things in general, but not so useful for writing, apart from "thoughts I cannot get into a text file because it's God-awful am and I'm half asleep".

But I really wanted to use them to organize my novel, because they make automatic links. So if, say, I make a note called "Maarten", my MC's name, every time I type "Maarten" into any other note, it creates a link. And if I change Maarten's name? All the links to it also change to the new name. Amazingly useful.

The big problem was that there was no hierarchical structure to the notes. Complete flat structure. Here are notes. Sort by name or last-edited date. No other options.

But.
Now I'm using Tomboy 0.9.4, and they've added one more feature that makes a radical difference. Notebooks. We can organize notes into notebooks! :snoopy: This has magically turned Tomboy into the Perfect Tool for keeping track of plot-and-world details.

It's simple, it keeps track of connections for me, and it's easy to navigate.

There are still a few bugs in this version (I filed my first two bug reports ever!)
but despite that, it's lovely. Utterly lovely.

So I wanted to share.

ETA: 0.10.0 was released yesterday. Probably fixed my bugs.

Last edited:

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
Not really a question. More a discovery I want to share. (And only useful for fellow Linux folk, because apparently there's nothing this good for Windows or Mac unless you're willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it).

Not quite true about there not being anything for Windows or Mac which does similar stuff, free :) If you want similar wiki-like functionality, then there's a lot of stuff like TiddlyWiki. If you want structured note taking, then there's EverNote. And there are a heck of a lot more alternatives for Mac as well. So yes, Virginia, there are free note-taking alternatives out there similar to Tomboy Notes ... but it's still a pretty neat app :D

ETA: This discussion made me go research Personal Wikis again since I had not looked at that category for a year or two. wikidPad is another excellent (and free) app which is available on Windows, Linux, and Mac :) Great for doing manuscripts since it also provides a treeview of your notes/sections/chapters for easy navigation.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Cool! I shall have to pass this on to the friend who was looking for a Windows equivalent!

Haven't really used Windows for 7+ years now, so am clueless.

Fahim

Mad coder, lazy writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farook.org
This wikipedia page is also a great resource. I've discovered a bunch of new possibilities that I want to try out :)

Deleted member 42

VoodooPad for Mac is nice, in the Wiki category, and there are lots of apps for writers that have potential. I'm hearing really good things about Scrivener.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this old thread for one reason. It existed and there was no need to make a new one.

Tomboy is very useful if you've got a lot of parts that get used in your work and want to keep everything consistent. (character relations, what you named things or people that don't play a major part. etc)

Anyways, they've just released a bit more of a windows friendly version, for all of you still on windows that are interested in trying this great tool.

But as a note, I find the best way to fix the hierarchy problem is to just have a notebook labeled Table of Contents and that leads to your sub notes table. It's a bit more complicated to make but saves a lot of time in navigation.

I'm going to be trying it out on windows vista tomorrow and seeing how it runs. :D let you all know then.