Promotional Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
I recently found out that the people behind "The Ring" and "The Ring Two" placed copies of "the tape" in public places as a way of promoting the movies. I wonder if something like that would work with a book... I was thinking of doing something like that, leave something in public places, WHEN my novel series gets published. I just discovered those CD Business cards that are the size and shape of a business card but work like a CD-ROM (http://www.cdcardx.com/CD_Business_Card_Clients.htm check out example 2 on that page. Is that not the perfect shape for a book cover?). How cool would it be to leave a CD Business Card (with the cover of your book on it) in a public place. Then when someone picked it up, and stuck it in their computer, they would maybe get a preview of the book (a couple sample chapters maybe?), maybe a little video intro from the writer and a link to the book's website and where to buy it. Hmm... I think I just convinced myself.

Galoot

I am a pretty pretty flower
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thegaloot.blogspot.com
Gee, I don't know. I'd be about as likely to wear an opened condom I found in a park as I would to put an unknown CD into my computer. That's just me, though.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do know of a guy who used his cd burner to create introductory cds consisting of a synopsis and the first 2 chapters of his book. (self-published) He made neat little labels for the cds and used cardboard sleeves.

He then placed the cds in a couple of area "mom-and-pop bookstores as a promo. I'm not sure of the end result. Haven't heard from him in ages, but last I knew, the promo bit was going pretty well.

LJ

Zee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authorsden.com
BookCrossing

Egg, there's an entire global organization that does precisely what you describe. It's called BookCrossing, and you can read all about it, sign up, label your book, and leave it on a park bench (or wherever) via

http://www.bookcrossing.com

... and watch online to see if anyone picks up your book and registers its specially assigned number.

There have been nearly 2 million books "released into the wild" in this manner, with members across the globe--and it's entirely free.

In fact, I know of several writers who have used this concept to promote their own books. I'm a member myself; it's fun.

Zee

DiscoDan

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't seem like a way to get a Lot of publicity.. I'd think it'd be better to come up with something that would effect mass numbers of people instead of just one person who will most likely throw the cd away as soon as they find out it's an ad..

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reference- cds

I thought much the same thing, Dan, but I didn't want to dampen the guy's enthusiasm.

I think he marked the sleeves "promo" or "sample chapters". Not sure if his idea ever bore fruit. Last time I spoke to him, months ago, he said the promotion was "going well." However, given the fact he was promoting a self-published book through small, local bookstores, "going well" could have several different meanings.

Last edited:

Alphabet

Aspiring Inspirer
Registered
Reaction score
Seems like it would be more effective to offer the local chip-shop (or family run fast food outlet) some paper bags with your book cover printed on it (or the first paragraphs instead/too)... or chip paper (for wrapping the chips in) or foam cases with ISBN and author photo.. Or just a flyer with the enthralling start to your novel on it to throw in with the napkin...hey... the napkin! the possibilities are endless!

They do it because you've paid for their supplies...
People see it cos they think - hey. what's this?

Hmmm.. and while the ideas are flowing... you get your first chapter, reviews, blurbs, and where to order info all printed up in a glossy little pamphlet with a rivet hole in the back cover.. get a chain and padlock and attach the pamphlet with the chain/padlock to various lampposts in the areas you want to target. Infact, you intersperse your where-to-order page every two pages throughout the first chapter just to be sure... Not just lamp-posts either.. what about park benches? or you might get the local college to agree a chained pamphlet attached to the noticeboard or some more permanent fixture.. the staircase maybe.
Attach one near the local media office, it might not stay long but who knows a journalist might come by and write up a huge article about the crazy world of self-publishing too.

Next time my brain is going ga-ga I might even invent some more ideas that are better than a floating cd/dvd-in-the-wild. LOL Not much better, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.