• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Italics and Japanese Words

Status
Not open for further replies.

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing a book where I use a half-a-dozen Japanese words fairly regularly. I'm a little confused about the proper use of italics. I've heard from one source that the italics should be used for the first instance of a foreign word and then not again.

On the other hand I've heard foreign words should constantly be italicized. If this is wrong, it lends a really pompous look to the book.

So what's the rule?

KW

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand I've read novels where foreign words are not italicised at all - unless for emphasis, the same as any other word being emphasised.

Always-italicised is the most common method, but there is no "rule", more a matter of personal preference and/or publisher's house style.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Foreign words and ship names are usually italicized.

Domo arigatou gozaimasu.
U.S.S. Lexington.

-Derek

KansasWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you.

Honto desu ka? You are in Japan right now? No wait: I just googled your ship. It is apparently docked in the Gulf of Mexico which, I'm pretty sure, is not in Japan.

KW

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Foreign words are always italicized, unless they've been incorporated into English and our culture, such as sushi or ramen or croissants.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I think they're always italicized, but I've been told the editors will tell you what to do in the final revisions. I did read one book where I THINK the Japanese words weren't italicized.

Status
Not open for further replies.