Question about Submission

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Months ago I sent a query out, it just got back to me with a request. Since then, I've changed the story around a bit. (Basically, I never used to write in 1st person, but now I do) Anyway, I realized this story is better in 1st. Since it WAS 3rd person limited, it's really not much different, except that it just sort of jives now. Sadly, the agent read the first couple pages of my old MS. Should I send the old MS, send the new one, or send the old one and mention the the new one?

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Heron.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with reenkam and Heron. They're so smart.

Redhedd

Demon Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
The EXACT same thing happened to me. I received a request for a full after I'd received some excellent critiques from people (whose opinions I respected) who suggested it would work better in 1st person. I emailed the requesting person and explained that I had rewritten it in 1st, and would it be all right to submit that version? (The person had already read the partial in third.) She replied that submitting the first person version was fine, and then after reading it she agreed that it worked far better in first. (I eventually received an offer of representation, so the moral of the story is send your best work!)

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I sent out the new version as you all advised. Thank you again for your responses!

Jazz

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I sent out the new version as you all advised. Thank you again for your responses!

Well, I'm late coming in, but I agree sending the new version was the best idea; it's new and improved! You always want to send your best work, and revision frequently takes place between query and request.

Good luck!