FNASR and the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
[SIZE=-1]As more publications put their archives online, I've been thinking about how that's going to affect us writers.

It might mean that it will be harder to resell a piece, because once it's out there and online, no matter how specialized, obscure or "local" the market, if people can find it from a keyword search you might have a harder time reselling it. Editor will say, "Oh, it's been done."

And then there's all those publications we might've sold something to long, long ago, presumably for First North American Serial Rights. How about our high school newspaper, or a poem we had accepted by a photocopied 'zine (circulation 50) that was only made available by mail order?

As time goes on, the archives of more and more of these old, obscure publications will be going online.

I don't consent to online publication of anything I've sold for only FNASR rights, and don't particularly care to see my juvenile scrawlings flood the net. But tracking all this ancient stuff is not going to be possible, either.

Is this going to be an issue?
[/SIZE]

Status
Not open for further replies.