Released by PublishAmerica -- Now What?

RWDVM

I don't know if you all remember me, but I am the veterinarian author that had some issues with Publish America. Since my posting on the PA message board of my PA author support e-mail correspondences regarding the non-availability of my book at any booksellers, some events had transpired. First, I got past the anger and decided that, since I felt partially at fault for my circumstances for not having researched the reality of PA before signing, that I would work with them, and focus on the positive, which was my listings on Amazon and B&N.com, and concentrate on a real internet push, rather than waste my breath getting denied by brick and mortar book sellers. I even sent them a reconciliation e-mail which was never answered. I telephoned and no one would speak to me. The next thing I know, my listing disappeared from their web site, and I'm receiving a certified letter from PA, indicating that they have discontinued publication of my book and have terminated my contract. They used as a reason, a clause in the contract that indicates that they reserve the right to do this if they feel, at their descretion, that there is no longer a public demand for the book.

Rather than get angry at this moment, however, I have to solve the predicament at hand, which is to get another publisher to publish and print my book, before major promotion that I have lined up starts to kick in (which can happen any day now). For now, I have enough personal stock of my book to keep selling from my website and from my clinic to last me 2-3 months, but that's it. I have sent book copies to some seemingly open minded traditional publishers, but we all know how long it can take to even get a response. And, I don't have the capital to self publish.

This post is not to spark a bitch session against PA. I wrote it to simply ask if any of you have any advice that you can offer. It would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Roger L. Welton, DVM

HapiSofi

Re: Need Advice

Seriously consider cancelling or postponing your promotion, and getting as much of your money back as you can. Almost none of your available options will have your book on track in time for your promo to do any good. (A useful rule of thumb: Reviewers and booksellers don't assimilate advertising and promotion if they don't have an advance copy or at least a substantial sample of the text in their hand at the time.)

Check out Booklocker and CafePress. See how long they'll take and how much they'll charge. If what they can offer you is within your acceptable range, they're an honest option. I'd recommend them to you more warmly if you'd written a novel; they're a low-risk option for authors who can't realistically expect a lot of sales, especially at the beginning.

If I recall correctly, though, you've written a specialized nonfiction book that has strong appeal within its audience. That's one of the few scenarios where self-publishing sometimes works. If you want to go that route, there are a number of articles about it at the bottom of the "Writer Beware" page about vanity and subsidy publishing: www.sfwa.org/beware/subsi...shers.html

On the other hand, you're free now. You could submit your book to a good nonfiction agent and some good nonfiction publishers. You should at least think about it.

James D Macdonald

Re: Need Advice

1) Go to your local bookstore.
2) Find half a dozen or a dozen books similar to yours on the shelf.
3) Write down their publishers addresses (the publishers' names and mailing addresses will be on the copyright page).
4) Write to those publishers, requesting their guidelines. Don't forget your SASE.
5) Write to the authors of those books, asking who their agents are (assuming they have agents -- not a universal, especially in specialized non-fiction).
6) Start submitting your work to the publishers, following their guidelines explicitly.
7) When an editor calls you on the phone expressing interest in your book, say "Thank you very much, I'll have my agent get right back with you."
8) Start calling those agents you gathered in step 5. Ask them if they'll be willing to represent you in a deal that's on the table.
9) When in doubt, follow HapiSofi's advice.

This isn't a short process, nor an easy one, but it's the real one.

As a stopgap, CafePress might be your best bet.

JustinoIV

books

There are also books that lists the names of publishers, their contact info, and what they are looking for. The same is also true for agents.

I think that you might have be more productive if you use those books along with doing what James recommended.

RWDVM

Thanks!

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. They are all good ones. Part of me feels like this is a blessing in disguise. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Roger L. Welton, DVM

James D Macdonald

Re: Thanks!

Doc -- check your EZ-mail here: <a href="http://pub43.ezboard.com/babsolutewrite" target="_new">pub43.ezboard.com/babsolutewrite</a>

bentbrains

Re: Thanks!

As usual, James has some great information. I just wanted to bring this one up front again because I think Mr. MacDonald did a great job at outlining the musts involved with this subject. Thanks again James!!!:hail
-Susan