Need Phd or MD for my Self Help Book

hungry4more

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

A top agent whom I really want to work with expressed interest in my self help project but she believes I need an MD or Phd to make a stronger case. My book is about life after age 40.

If you know of an MD or Phd interested in possibly co-authoring, please let me know.

Thank you very kindly,
Robyn

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Ph/D of what? Physics? Philosophy? History? MD? what do MD's know about life after 40? Sociologist, maybe. I don't think I'd trust a psychologist. Will the book be largely anecdotal or autobiographical? Any authority you find to co-author has probably already written a book, or would take the idea and run. Are you near a university? Check the class offerings, there might be something there. In any case, good luck. Life begins at 40?

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
That's kinda what I was thinking too. I am a Psy.D. and working counselor, but the degree doesn't give me any special expertise in life after 40. I've worked with some clients facing a midlife crisis, but even that hasn't honed my skills to where I feel that I'm an expert. You need someone not only with a degree, but also with practical experience that gives them a "real" perspective.

hungry4more

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Everyone is surprised that the agent would request I work with an MD or Phd. Perhaps the agent believes an MD or Phd would add gravitas to the subject matter. I think a Phd sociologist or Anthro would be a good fit.

This project is meant to be a light-hearted change from my first book which is about the death of my sister. I want to focus on how ways to "re-invent" and celebrate middle age similar to the "Red Hat Society".

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I think your agent just wants to add a title. Your profits would be split with this co-author when you are just as capable of doing interviews, setting up questionaires, etc. Did your agent explain further or is he just tossing out the idea with nothing to back up his suggestion? Are you working on a specific set of over 40ies, certain part of the world/country or culture/enthic background, or societal/educational level? Do you have an outline, a problem-resolution setup, anecdotes etc? If so, why do you need someone else's input if it's a lighthearted celebration of middle age and not a disseration, thesis, or medical advice tome?

hungry4more

Registered
Reaction score
The agent did explain why I need a co-author, only that she would not represent the project without one.

I got the idea for "After 40" when I read an article that said many folks worldwide become depressed and suicidal around age 44. It was so depressing I want to write an anecdote to that-if indeed that kind of hopelessness exists globally.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Welcome to AW, hungry!

I think the whole needing a 'title' to back up your platform is really big with self-help books. It's tricky because I believe that life experience can sometimes make for the best teacher, but so many people will only buy a book if it comes from someone who has the title to state that they have the expertise to help you.

I think a co-author would be a great idea in this case and they may even add a whole other dimension to coping with this.

Though I wonder if you could maybe pitch it as more of a life experience/memoir thing and get around needing the co-author? The difference is that you would write the book with the purpose of sharing life experiences instead of the purpose of 'helping' others. (however, sharing life experiences IS a way to help others. this difference just changes how the book would be marketed, etc.)

hungry4more

Registered
Reaction score
Happy to say I connected with a psychologist and educator who will be my co-author. This is a first time for me to work with another writer.

I would love to hear about any horror or encouraging stories about this kind of collaboration.