Mac vs Mc

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
What's the difference between Mac and Mc in Irish and Scottish surnames? I've heard that Mac is Scottish and Mc is Irish; I've also heard that it's the other way around. And then, from looking at old records I get the feeling that Mac and Mc are interchangeable for both nationalities!

Thanks in advance.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Mac (son of) is the traditional spelling, which has been shortened to Mc over the ages. Both are widespread in Scotland and Ireland. I've known McDonalds (which may be a Lowland variant), MacDonalds and Macdonalds (possibly Highlands and Western Isles variants). Accidental misspelling of said surnames may provoke an angry reaction! No kidding, I've seen it. "SMALL 'D'! SMALL 'D' DAMN YOU!" :)

-Derek

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, dpaterso; that helps a lot!

Hmmm. Since Mac is traditional, maybe I should use that version in my pirate stories.

Deleted member 42

Mc is typically a sign of Anglicization, though it often happened without the person whose name it was consenting to the variant spelling. There are instances in large clans where two brothers have variant spellings.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Early 1900's America when so many Irish were coming over to escape the famine and poverty, the Mc was pronounced Mic and used as a derogatory term for the Irish.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
No kidding, I've seen it. "SMALL 'D'! SMALL 'D' DAMN YOU!" :)

Yeah, I have to do this a LOT ... except in my case it's the capital. And not the letter D. ;) Even if my name is on a submitted form there's a 50-50 chance it comes out wrong anyway. I had to get my high school to redistribute my diploma.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! Guess Mac and Mc are pretty much interchangeable, and I should just pick one for consistency.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
In the US they're pretty random, depending upon how literate the immigration and census people were. We have Macs and Mcs, sometimes all in the same immediate family. And you don't even want to know what horrors of misspelling can be performed upon the name of MacLean. It isn't pretty, I'll tell you that.

#1Pencil

Registered
Reaction score
Mac or Mc

Mac is generally Scottish and Mc is Irish, but there are of course exceptions. Both are found widely in Scotland and Ireland.

It means "son of" So McKay is "son of Kay" way back when.

Huge influx of Irish at end of 19th century into US where, like any large immigrant group, they were immediately shunned and it was considered low class to have an Irish name, hence some changed to "Mac" for more "class" at that time.

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
I *hope* they are interchangeable, as we named one of our children "Macmillan" after grandma's maiden name of McMillan and I'm not changing the birth certificate! LOL

We went with Mac instead of Mc because Mc is a terrible nickname.

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
And you don't even want to know what horrors of misspelling can be performed upon the name of MacLean. It isn't pretty, I'll tell you that.

You think you got problems? Try a last name like Mc Pugh! (Think Hugh, not Pug). And no fair holding your nose.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
You think you got problems? Try a last name like Mc Pugh! (Think Hugh, not Pug). And no fair holding your nose.

Perhaps you could drop this final 'h' and actually become McPug. That sounds kinda cute and people would have less problem spelling it. You could even put a pug in your family crest.