Satanic Verses

Captain Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
I have to confess, despite the numerous fame Salman got in the late 80's (when was he not on the news?) I never did get around to reading his book. The one that started the whole bannings & murders. As I understand it, there is still a bounty on his head.

I'm curious what those who have read it have to say. Assuming you are willing to admit it and risk your safety here (morbid laugh).

I know MOST writers want international fame, etc. but here is a good reason why you should always be careful what you wish for.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've only TRIED to read it, meaning I read a page or two at the start, then at a chapter start here and there. I suppose I could have read it had I been truly interested in the setting, but I was mainly attempting to read it because it's an 'important' book, I'd like to know what other people are talking about when I read/hear their discussions of it, and I like the idea of a book that's so "blasphemous" it gets the author in trouble. Not to disparage the book unneccesarily, but I've since seen the same group of people blasphemed by the book also taking riotous offense at published cartoons.

What little I read is reminiscent of John Brunner's "Stand On Zanzibar," a SF novel consisting of series of short, apparently unconnected chapters of apparently unrelated characters, but they are all related at least by being in the same overpopulated Earth, and I found it interesting enough to plow through, and it's one of the few books I've read more than once.

I thought there was already a thread on this book, but apparently not. Here's where I read about Satanic Verses before, in the "worst published book you ever read" thread, with strong opinions both for and against:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=289429#post289429

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the 80's I just assumed this book was what everyone said it was: incomprehensible and dull. Then I hitched a lift off someone who told me I should give it a try.

I'm glad he did. It's an incredible book.

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
Though other works are far superior to this novel by Rushdie (Midnight's Children, Shalimar the Clown), this novel is a great example of the post-modern tradition, and offers great insight into the human condition, and religious/political identity. That being said, the person who issued the Fatwa on Rushdie had not read the book, and it is a bit of a shame that he had to run into hiding for so long, since he is such an excellent intellectual. Then again, if this is your first post-modern novel that you are reading, you perhaps will find the prose/narration a little bit irritating, to say the least.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
SPOILERS AHEAD, PERHAPS!

I read it, and was disappointed. I mean, if a man is going to have to live his life in hiding because of something he wrote, I'd kind of expected it to be a better book.

While certainly quite readable and something I don't regret, I don't recall being moved by it at all. It seemed to share some of the problems I have with 'Magic Realism' in general; the parts of it that are magical are so arbitrary as to rob it of significance. So two guys survive a fall from an airplane, and begin to develop angellic and demonic characteristics. AND? of course we are meant to feel sorry for the demonic one, and conclude the angelic one is a jerk, but is that any kind of statement? I guess I failed to find anything particularly significant. Apparently the author did too, because by midbook they're both back to normal, again for no apparent reason.

Then of course, are the numerous digressions, which turn out to be the best parts of the book, and include the parts that earned the fatwa. However, again, I didn't see anything particularly scandalous about them, however I may be jaded, as I've said and heard much, much harsher criticisms of religious leaders and teachings than anything found in here.

There's also a very interesting part about... never mind, you get the idea. Go and read it youself. If you like magic realism, you might like this.

Personally, I think it is a book that is more significant for the historical upheaval it caused rather than for its merits as literature.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
SPOILERS AHEAD, PERHAPS!

I read it, and was disappointed. I mean, if a man is going to have to live his life in hiding because of something he wrote, I'd kind of expected it to be a better book.

While certainly quite readable and something I don't regret, I don't recall being moved by it at all. It seemed to share some of the problems I have with 'Magic Realism' in general; the parts of it that are magical are so arbitrary as to rob it of significance. So two guys survive a fall from an airplane, and begin to develop angellic and demonic characteristics. AND? of course we are meant to feel sorry for the demonic one, and conclude the angelic one is a jerk, but is that any kind of statement? I guess I failed to find anything particularly significant. Apparently the author did too, because by midbook they're both back to normal, again for no apparent reason.

Then of course, are the numerous digressions, which turn out to be the best parts of the book, and include the parts that earned the fatwa. However, again, I didn't see anything particularly scandalous about them, however I may be jaded, as I've said and heard much, much harsher criticisms of religious leaders and teachings than anything found in here.

There's also a very interesting part about... never mind, you get the idea. Go and read it youself. If you like magic realism, you might like this.

Personally, I think it is a book that is more significant for the historical upheaval it caused rather than for its merits as literature.

I'd like to get a clearer idea of what you are defining when you say 'magic realism'. It's just that I've never heard that before, and it sounds as if it might be a very accurate description. It definitely sounds like an interesting description.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Magic realism is a fairly recent genre of literature.

Its most well known author is Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who's most famous book is 'One Hundred Years of Solitude.' (I preferred his 'Love in the Time of Cholera.')

Other authors who might be considered to be part of the genre include Italo Calvino (though only some things he wrote may qualify), and Louis Borges (who Marquez considered to be a great inspiration) For other authors, you should ask someone who likes the genre better, maybe make a new thread in the book club forum.

It is notable, perhaps that most authors classified as 'magic realist' authors come from developing nations; Marquez is a Columbian who lives in Mexico, I think. Rushdie is Indian, Calvino was Italian but lived in Argentina, I think. Much has been written on this subject, I don't really care to speculate on the possible relationship of economic conditions and novel writing genre. I've heard complaints that Latin American authors are often classified as 'magic realist' by default.

Magic realism seems to me to be distinct from fantasy in that it is set in the everyday world, and magical elements are added in a seemingly whimsical fashion, and the characters react to them as if they were commonplace, if that makes sense. They vary from suptuous descriptions and volumptuous stories, like in Marquez's work, to angsty and very intellectual speculations in Borges' (I really, really recommend Borges) or Calvino's.

I don't actually read too much of it, but I'm sure you can find someone else here who knows more. Perhaps a search will reveal old threads on the topic.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Thanks for the explanation Sarp. I doubt I'll be reading any magical realism. Sounds too dubious for me.

Craig Gosse

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation Sarp. I doubt I'll be reading any magical realism. Sounds too dubious for me.

I'd have to say it's a judgment call, and definitely takes *me* quite a bit more to develop that 'willing suspension of disbelief'; then again, it's much like reading early European medieval literature. (In my case, of course, the translations thereof...) 'God' is such an assumed staple in the world-view of many of these authors, that miracles are calmly and reasonably accepted within the framework of the story...

(Of course, given the fact that, almost be default, authors were usually religious personages themselves, I suppose it's to be expected.)

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Thats an insightful explaination Craig.

I wouldn't let the magic stuff throw you. So much of art is in the presentation and subtleties. Sometimes plot can indeed be secondary. You wouldn't walk out of a performance of Don Giovanni because of the Deus Ex Machina ending, would you?