. . .​

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Anyone mind if I wish a Happy Purim too? It's today also. And next year, the first seder of Passover is actually the night before Good Friday, making the holiday of Passover start on Good Friday. That doesn't happen often.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Hey! I love how inclusive everyone is here.

In that spirit - if you've ever heard someone say something like, "She gave me the whole megilla!" meaning that you got the long version of a story, or just a long story, that comes from Purim! The Book of Esther, which is read on Purim, is called the megillah and it's LONG. Hence - the whole megillah!

Have a Great Friday and a wonderful Easter

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
Gezegend Pasen!

Tnx Jana! For you too a 'Gezegend Pasen!'

The concept of 'happy' in connection with Easter always sounds so very strange to my ear though! Easter is the most important Christian happening of them all and where I live we remember death (of the 'old' and mourn it) and the transcendence of it (the resurrection into 'new life'). Ok, of course there's this 'joyousness' about it ... but eh mmm rrr introspection rather, no? And awareness. Difference between Europe and the Anglo world? Are you American?

aspier

Mr Underhill

Writer,Burglar,Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
The concept of 'happy' in connection with Easter always sounds so very strange to my ear though!
Perhaps we're just happy to be finished with all that fuss and bother of Lent! I'm being unserious, of course. While I am usually happy on Easter Sunday, it is worthwhile being mindful that the reaction of the original disciples was one of amazement, disbelief, and yes, even stark terror, as St Mark's original ending had it.

Still, today it is only Good Friday, and I'm in a more solemn, meditative mood. So I've started a thread for Meditations on Good Friday. Please come over if you're so inclined, and offer your thoughts.

Anyone mind if I wish a Happy Purim too? It's today also. And next year, the first seder of Passover is actually the night before Good Friday, making the holiday of Passover start on Good Friday. That doesn't happen often.
Ah, Happy Purim, mommie4a! I trust "happy" is the appropriate adjective?

As for the Good Friday/Seder conjunction, is it just that it rarely happens on Friday? I thought that the Christian Holy Week and Passover co-incided more often than not. Of course, the Orthodox Church seems to get it right more often (Orthodox Easter is May 1 this year). Personally I think we should give up on this Paschal Moon nonsense and simply always celebrate Easter the first Sunday after the 14th of Nisan no matter what.

Oh - just in case I'm not online between now and then, Happy Easter to all.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Bunny Day!

"Hare's" hoping you get lots of goodies!

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
Freaked out Angel

While I am usually happy on Easter Sunday, it is worthwhile being mindful that the reaction of the original disciples was one of amazement, disbelief, and yes, even stark terror, as St Mark's original ending had it.

Yes and Mary Magdalena! How freaked out wasn't she when in that dark tomb all of a sudden this brilliant light of the Angel appeared. I have once read somewhere that the Angel too was freaked out! He couldn't believe that a human would search the living with the dead. How many times have we all not done that? Linger in our failures and missing out on the new day and times with all its possibilities?

as

Mr Underhill

Writer,Burglar,Adventurer
Registered
Reaction score
Today's the day

I've cross-posted this on my Meditations thread, but wanted to share it as a Easter greeting too. A poem by the inimitable Edward Estlin Cummings:

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any – lifted from the no
of all nothing – human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Easter folks....I must be getting old. I never used to have a chocolate limit, now I feel unable to move.

Damn all that creamy cocoa-ness!
I can't resist!

paprikapink

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
paprikapink2.blogspot.com
mommie4a said:

I read such a good book a few years ago -- wait, I'm even gonna find the name and the author -- hang on, I have to do that two-windows-at-the-same-time thing...here it is: Calendar, by David E. Duncan.

One of the many things I learned in that book, although incompletely, is that one of the primary goals of the byzanntine calculations they came up with for when-is-easter, is that it must never coincide with Passover. Cuz, y'know, it'd be like showing up at a party wearing the same dress as the hostess.

-pkpk

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
mommie4a said:

Is Passover in March or April next year? I'd hate for Passover to fall on my nephew's birthday, but it is inevitable that will happen.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
And Happy Purim to you as well, mommie4a--and good Passover....(err...did I say that right? Although, as I understand the story, "Passover" is good by definition--meaning the firstborn son was spared, during the plagues on Egypt.)

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
Blessings to all, whether for Easter, Purim, spring celebrations or any other reason for celebrating at this time. May joy fill your day and may your life be blessed.

Torin

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Cheers for interfaith wishes

Let's see - well, I'm a just a little ole Reform Jew who married a Conservative Jew. Meaning - I don't get too hung up on specifics but...

Passover this year is April 23 - the first seder is that night. Next year, it falls on April 12th, a Weds. with Good Friday on 4/14. I was mistaken before re: coinciding with Good Friday (but I didn't know anything about that thing about Good Friday and Passover never coming on the same day. Learn something all the time).

And saying Good Passover is totally kosher with me. :D

May you all have a lovely Easter, or just plain Sunday.