PDA

View Full Version : Happy Easter!

maestrowork
03-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Well, it's Good Friday. I might not be around much this weekend, so if I don't see you, Happy Easter.

Here's sumt'in fun for yuinz.

Happy Easter (http://www.grayace.com/dex/bunny.html)

arrowqueen
03-25-2005, 05:37 PM
You too, maestro - and everyone else.

Don't OD on the chocolate!

JoeEkaitis
03-25-2005, 06:28 PM
. . .

http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Joe-Ekaitis/eballoon.gif

. . .

mommie4a
03-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Anyone mind if I wish a Happy Purim too? It's today also. And next year, the first seder of Passover is actually the night before Good Friday, making the holiday of Passover start on Good Friday. That doesn't happen often.

awatkins
03-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Happy Easter everyone! (and thanks, Ray, that song will be stuck in my head all day *grin*)

And Happy Purim to you, mommie4a! :)

JanaLanier
03-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Happy Easter! http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/bunny.gifAnd Happy Purim, too.

Arisa81
03-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Happy Easter and Happy Purim friends :)

mommie4a
03-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Hey! I love how inclusive everyone is here.

In that spirit - if you've ever heard someone say something like, "She gave me the whole megilla!" meaning that you got the long version of a story, or just a long story, that comes from Purim! The Book of Esther, which is read on Purim, is called the megillah and it's LONG. Hence - the whole megillah!

Have a Great Friday and a wonderful Easter

aspier
03-25-2005, 09:06 PM
Tnx Jana! For you too a 'Gezegend Pasen!'

The concept of 'happy' in connection with Easter always sounds so very strange to my ear though! Easter is the most important Christian happening of them all and where I live we remember death (of the 'old' and mourn it) and the transcendence of it (the resurrection into 'new life'). Ok, of course there's this 'joyousness' about it ... but eh mmm rrr introspection rather, no? And awareness. Difference between Europe and the Anglo world? Are you American?

aspier

Mr Underhill
03-26-2005, 03:19 AM
The concept of 'happy' in connection with Easter always sounds so very strange to my ear though!Perhaps we're just happy to be finished with all that fuss and bother of Lent! I'm being unserious, of course. While I am usually happy on Easter Sunday, it is worthwhile being mindful that the reaction of the original disciples was one of amazement, disbelief, and yes, even stark terror, as St Mark's original ending had it.

Still, today it is only Good Friday, and I'm in a more solemn, meditative mood. So I've started a thread for Meditations on Good Friday. Please come over if you're so inclined, and offer your thoughts.

Anyone mind if I wish a Happy Purim too? It's today also. And next year, the first seder of Passover is actually the night before Good Friday, making the holiday of Passover start on Good Friday. That doesn't happen often.Ah, Happy Purim, mommie4a! I trust "happy" is the appropriate adjective?

As for the Good Friday/Seder conjunction, is it just that it rarely happens on Friday? I thought that the Christian Holy Week and Passover co-incided more often than not. Of course, the Orthodox Church seems to get it right more often (Orthodox Easter is May 1 this year). Personally I think we should give up on this Paschal Moon nonsense and simply always celebrate Easter the first Sunday after the 14th of Nisan no matter what.

Oh - just in case I'm not online between now and then, Happy Easter to all.

rhymegirl
03-26-2005, 03:35 AM
Happy Bunny Day!

"Hare's" hoping you get lots of goodies!

sthrnwriter
03-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Happy Easter Everyone!!

jdkiggins
03-26-2005, 08:04 AM
Happy Easter.
Happy Purim.
And Happy Everything!
To everyone. :)

Renee
03-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Happy Easter, Ray, and everyone!

We'll miss ya, Ray!

:banana:

aspier
03-26-2005, 03:12 PM
While I am usually happy on Easter Sunday, it is worthwhile being mindful that the reaction of the original disciples was one of amazement, disbelief, and yes, even stark terror, as St Mark's original ending had it.

Yes and Mary Magdalena! How freaked out wasn't she when in that dark tomb all of a sudden this brilliant light of the Angel appeared. I have once read somewhere that the Angel too was freaked out! He couldn't believe that a human would search the living with the dead. How many times have we all not done that? Linger in our failures and missing out on the new day and times with all its possibilities?

as

Mr Underhill
03-27-2005, 06:26 PM
I've cross-posted this on my Meditations thread, but wanted to share it as a Easter greeting too. A poem by the inimitable Edward Estlin Cummings:

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any lifted from the no
of all nothing human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

Nivvie
03-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Happy Easter folks....I must be getting old. I never used to have a chocolate limit, now I feel unable to move.

Damn all that creamy cocoa-ness!
I can't resist!

Crosshatcher
03-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Happy Easter to all. Hope you have a great day.

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/hc/2005/hc050327.gif

MacAllister
03-27-2005, 09:11 PM
:snoopy:

JoeEkaitis
03-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Here. Have another.

http://us-p.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Joe-Ekaitis/eggbear.jpg

paprikapink
03-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Anyone mind if I wish a Happy Purim too? It's today also. And next year, the first seder of Passover is actually the night before Good Friday, making the holiday of Passover start on Good Friday. That doesn't happen often.

I read such a good book a few years ago -- wait, I'm even gonna find the name and the author -- hang on, I have to do that two-windows-at-the-same-time thing...here it is: Calendar, by David E. Duncan (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380793245/qid=1111943928/sr=1-17/ref=sr_1_17/104-6992444-5208745?v=glance&s=books).

One of the many things I learned in that book, although incompletely, is that one of the primary goals of the byzanntine calculations they came up with for when-is-easter, is that it must never coincide with Passover. Cuz, y'know, it'd be like showing up at a party wearing the same dress as the hostess.

-pkpk

Birol
03-27-2005, 10:52 PM

Is Passover in March or April next year? I'd hate for Passover to fall on my nephew's birthday, but it is inevitable that will happen.

MacAllister
03-27-2005, 10:56 PM
And Happy Purim to you as well, mommie4a--and good Passover....(err...did I say that right? Although, as I understand the story, "Passover" is good by definition--meaning the firstborn son was spared, during the plagues on Egypt.)

Torin
03-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Blessings to all, whether for Easter, Purim, spring celebrations or any other reason for celebrating at this time. May joy fill your day and may your life be blessed.

Torin

mommie4a
03-27-2005, 11:51 PM
Let's see - well, I'm a just a little ole Reform Jew who married a Conservative Jew. Meaning - I don't get too hung up on specifics but...

Passover this year is April 23 - the first seder is that night. Next year, it falls on April 12th, a Weds. with Good Friday on 4/14. I was mistaken before re: coinciding with Good Friday (but I didn't know anything about that thing about Good Friday and Passover never coming on the same day. Learn something all the time).

And saying Good Passover is totally kosher with me. :D

May you all have a lovely Easter, or just plain Sunday.

paprikapink
03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
I fall into that "spiritual" category that defies categorization (can a category do that?). So for me Easter is about Spring, and flowers, and buds on the trees, new life all over the place, and candy candy candy. And ham.

So looking out my window, I'm seeing lotsa Easter. A mourning dove couple has made a nest in the nearly deceased potted spider plant on our patio. Two eggs. We've named one dove Martha and the other Stewart. They take turns sitting. The off-duty dove stays away for hours. We also have a pair of bold scrub jays who frequent our yard. They've noticed the dove nest and are clearly in the mood for some easter eggs. When they show up I let the cat out.

What's going on out your window?

-pkpk

mommie4a
03-28-2005, 12:10 AM
Sadly, I live in a suburb that's become overrun with deer, or with people, depending on your perspective. Not much out my window at the moment, but often, a family of five deer wander and feed at a spindly bush just beyond the sliding doors that lead into the walkout basement that doubles as my office. To break my gravity, the deer like to squat on the grass by my desk window and relieve themselves. And now, like in Pavlov's experiment, just thinking about that makes me smile and laugh a little.

aka eraser
03-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Someone just mailed me this little bit of cute Easter cheer (http://domania.us/vikrox/holi/bunnies.jpg).

ritinrider
03-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Well, it's Sunday evening so the weekend is almost shot. Hope everyone had a good and happy weekend whatever their activities.

Now, could someone explain in simple terms for me why Easter moves each year?

I have wondered about this for a long time. I understand (I think) it has something to do with the moon, but why? My understanding is that Good Friday (what a term for that day) represents the day Christ died. Sunday, Easter, represents the day he rose from the grave (tomb, whatever). Now, I understand Christ was not a mere mortal, but since we're basically celebrating a time that represents His death and resurrection, shouldn't they always fall on the same day? I reaslize there would have to be some juggling to make Good Friday always fall on a Friday, and Easter always fall on a Sunday. But why not say the last Friday in April is Good Friday and the first Sunday in May is Easter? Or something to that effect.

Remember, I'm just a simple country girl. Please keep your explanation easy to understand, like on kindergarten level maybe.

Nita

Fractured_Chaos
03-28-2005, 09:43 AM
Well, it's Sunday evening so the weekend is almost shot. Hope everyone had a good and happy weekend whatever their activities.

Now, could someone explain in simple terms for me why Easter moves each year?

I have wondered about this for a long time. I understand (I think) it has something to do with the moon, but why? My understanding is that Good Friday (what a term for that day) represents the day Christ died. Sunday, Easter, represents the day he rose from the grave (tomb, whatever). Now, I understand Christ was not a mere mortal, but since we're basically celebrating a time that represents His death and resurrection, shouldn't they always fall on the same day? I reaslize there would have to be some juggling to make Good Friday always fall on a Friday, and Easter always fall on a Sunday. But why not say the last Friday in April is Good Friday and the first Sunday in May is Easter? Or something to that effect.

Remember, I'm just a simple country girl. Please keep your explanation easy to understand, like on kindergarten level maybe.

Nita

Because it was originally a Pagan Holiday, before it became the celebration of Christ's resurrection. The reason it moves each year is because Oastara was the celebration that took place every year after the first full moon of spring.

The reasons the Christian church took the holiday, was because it was believed at the time that the celebrations taking place during known pagan celebrations might make it easier to remember, and get more people into the church.

Renee
03-28-2005, 10:23 AM
HAPPY EASTER, Ray, and everyone else!!!

;)

Renee

ritinrider
03-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Thank you drgnlvr, very simple and easy to understand. Got it. Guess the powers that be think it'd be too hard to change now. I still think it'd be easier to remember when it was if it was at the same time every year. I'm not too good with dates any way, but if it came at the same time after a year or two I'd rmember sort of when it was. I wouldn't be going, "oh my gosh, Easter is this weekend", or looking at the calendar thinking, "are we having Easter this year?"

paprikapink
03-28-2005, 08:28 PM
In that book, "Calendar" by David E. Duncan, he goes into great detail about how holidays came to be when they are. When humans transitioned from the lunar calendar to the solar calendar, it stirred up a lot of social and political and religious intrigue. And the actual astronomical/mathematical formula for what day Easter will fall on in any given year is an entire paragraph, like 8 lines long!

I loved that book. I gave my copy away as soon as I read it; I think I'm going to have to get me another one.

-pkpk

Fractured_Chaos
03-29-2005, 12:57 AM
Oooh, sounds interesting Pkpk. I think I'll see if I can find me a copy.

JanaLanier
03-29-2005, 01:01 AM
Did everyone have a nice Easter?

Now I'm going to be picking up dang-blamit little pieces of fake green grass for the next six weeks... Even the candy won't last that long.