• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Write for money or readers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xDemode

Buying a stairway to hell.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a debate on a different forum (not a writing forum. I don't cheat on AW).

I'm trying to explain to everyone that authors shouldn't write with money in their eyes, but because they enjoy writing and they want for everyone to read their story. I personally feel that an author of a series has somewhat of a personal obligation to their readers.

Meanwhile, the majority of the forum replies that an author should write for money and shouldn't keep their readers in mind.

My question to all of you is this:

Should someone write for money or for readers? Does a series writer have any obligation at all to their readers?

ottorino

Registered
Reaction score
You write because you have a story. If it gets published and makes money, then you try to do it for your living. You don't change anything except maybe stoping whatever else you did for a living before you started making a living as a writer.

No one writes for money. But everyone who writes feels they should be paid for it.

If you write a novel, you write it with the hopes it will be published. Therefore, you hope you will be paid for it.

This question is ridiculous and you know it.

xDemode

Registered
Reaction score
This question is ridiculous and you know it.

I feel like I'm losing my mind on this other board and had to come to AW for solace. Thank you for assuring me that this entire "debate" is petty.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I'm losing my mind on this other board and had to come to AW for solace. Thank you for assuring me that this entire "debate" is petty.

It's a false dichotomy.
If the readers like your work, you make money.

The real dichotomy is between writing what you think readers will want, and writing what you think the story should be. If you're lucky, the two are the same.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Moved to Basic Writing Questions because I'm guessing that more people will engage in it here.

I do wonder how one can write for money without keeping one's readers in mind. But I guess that's something people might not really think through in a non-writers' forum? :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
No one writes for money.

I do. I mean, I make my living by writing one kind of thing, and I would like instead to make my living by writing a different kind of thing entirely. But the "make my living" thing is uppermost in my mind here.

And the readers vs. money dichotomy is a false one. The money comes from the readers, after all. If readers aren't interested, then no money.

lucky8

Registered
Reaction score
I read recently that the average income for novelists is around the £10,000 mark. If you factor in the superstar megabucks novelists like King, Rowling, Brown, etc there are probably an awful lot of people not even hitting 10k. So I don't think that writing for money is really a practical thing to do. Sell homemade pillows on eBay rather than write novels if you want to make money.

Whether to write for yourself or readers is a more interesting debate. Personally I write the first draft for myself and do the edits for other readers.

xDemode

Registered
Reaction score
Moved to Basic Writing Questions because I'm guessing that more people will engage in it here.

I do wonder how one can write for money without keeping one's readers in mind. But I guess that's something people might not really think through in a non-writers' forum? :)

Ack. I had a feeling it belonged there.

Thank you.

dizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Personally I do not write for money or recognition. I write because I love a good story and I feel that I have a few of my own that I want to share with the world. My ultimate goal is not to make a living off of writing but to leave behind stories and worlds that people will enjoy for years to come, so you could say I write for readers.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm having a debate on a different forum (not a writing forum. I don't cheat on AW).

I'm trying to explain to everyone that authors shouldn't write with money in their eyes, but because they enjoy writing and they want for everyone to read their story. I personally feel that an author of a series has somewhat of a personal obligation to their readers.

Meanwhile, the majority of the forum replies that an author should write for money and shouldn't keep their readers in mind.

Should someone write for money or for readers? Does a series writer have any obligation at all to their readers?

I write for myself. I want to make money and make readers happy, but my main reason for writing, is a guy named Sean D. Schaffer. I simply love to write. :)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I started out writing because something inside told me to. When I received good feedback on the stories and realised I could publish them, I had to consider the accounting equasion. I need to sell books so I don't lose money. But I really want people to enjoy the stories. So both are true for me.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
Pfff. I write because it enables me to get these irritating characters out of my head. See, people who talke to themselves, they're not crazy. They just haven't figured out they're an author-in-the-raw. Give 'em paper & pen, and they'd probably have some amazing stuff.

If I couldn't write, even jot down a scene, anytime night or day that my heart desires, I'd jump off the edge of the world--it is TOO flat!!

Now, the money. Oh yeah, show me the money. Infact, I WANNA CHECK THE SIZE J.K.ROWLING GETS!!!!

AND I WANT PETER JACKSON TO DIRECT THE MOVIE!!!

Okay, in the real world, I can't wait to experience the euphoria of having an agent...I even have a bottle of Dom Perrignon (sp?) that I've saved these past 10 years--worth a small fortune--for the celebration of a publisher buying my work. Oh, it will happen. I'm like a dog with a bone...I'll get down to the marrow before I give up.
My financial dream is simple: husband gets a fishing boat.
Why?
Who do you think pays for princess to be a full time writer?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...a combination of the two.
Modern-day audiences are obsessed with sex and violence.
So I stick those things into my stories because I know that'lll sell.

writin52

Registered
Reaction score
Love or Money?

I find I write for myself first. Second, you write for readers, when you get them the money follows. If a series writer tries to stay true to the premise of the series, he fulfills any obligation he has to his readers, I think.

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
I write for both; the reader so the money will flow.

Mayntz

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I think it depends on the type of writing you do. Many of the responses here already seem to be regarding novels; I write nonfiction, and yes, I write primarily for money. I also love my work, researching new things and learning about a wide array of topics, but suffice it to say if there were no money at the end of the articles, I wouldn't write them.

As for writing for the readers, I think every writer does that, whether they're crafting a novel to sell, articles for a specific target audience, or just working on a series with beloved characters whom readers want to know better. It's all relative.

Potluck

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Who cares about the readers? I can read my work just fine. Why should I spend all this time making sure it's clear, concise, imaginative, compelling and meaningful? They’re a bunch of ungrateful space monkeys. They don't like it, too damn bad. Where's my check? DOH!

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
No one writes for money.
I do. I don't write for free. Since the moment I started writing, I was submitting hoping to make money.

But you don't get paid unless the readers like it.

However, it's my story, I write the best story I can. It's my vision. I just hope that the readers love my vision and then send me boatloads of money.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
<snipped>

And the readers vs. money dichotomy is a false one. The money comes from the readers, after all. If readers aren't interested, then no money.

Excellent point!

My first goal is always to write something my readers will enjoy, because I haven't done my job as a writer if they don't. But at the same time, it's ever-present in my mind that money could be a great benefit.

Last edited:

Pup

Registered
Reaction score
As others have said, definitely a false dichotomy. The usual debate is writing for money, fame, or readers on the one side, and writing for yourself, the art, the story, on the other side.

If you please readers, they'll want to pay for what you write. If people are paying for what you write, they're probably reading it.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I write because I love to write. Once I realized that I could make money at it, too, that was the vanilla icing on the big ol' chocolate cake. I separate my general writing from my business writing, as they are two different animals. I would always write for myself, but I don't care if anyone ever reads that work. I care about my readers in my business because they are my ultimate customers; by writing what appeals to them, I make my work more marketable and my editors more happy.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
I write for readers with money and readers with library cards, for fame, for glory, for riches and for the millions of molded plastic action figures that I will unleash upon the world. I also write for my own entertainment, for the entertainment of those near and dear to me, and for social justice as is relates to oversized poultry (see Capon Frank).

Luc2

Registered
Reaction score
How do you write for money?
By writing what sells? How does that work; trying to jump on the bandwagon of trends? Once you finished writing, found an agent, made the editor's changes, good chance the trend is gone.
Trying to write "mainstream? Harder to get noticed in the slush pile.

I write what I love, so I'll be sure that at least one person will be happy with my novel. ;) After that, who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.