Good sources on medieval Italy? Suggestions, please!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, my subject line sorta says it all, doesn't it?

What I am looking for specifically, are books on major landmarks that existed then (I know of a few already), customs, clothing, and society, particularily the merchant/banker/lawyer type classes, if possible.

I am familiar with the Borgias, the de Medicis, and whatnot, but that is a little after the timeframe when I'd like to set my book. Not to mention, that was more in Florence and Rome, if I am not mistaken, and my story will be set in Milan.

Basically, I'm clueless, and unless I start randomly googling, I really don't know where to start in terms of finding good sources.

Thanks so much for any and all help! :D

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
The ruling houses of Milan were the Visconti (1277-1447) then the Sforza (1450-1535). Google searching on these names should bring you plenty of information

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The ruling houses of Milan were the Visconti (1277-1447) then the Sforza (1450-1535). Google searching on these names should bring you plenty of information

I knew about the Visconti's (the Duke of Milan), and the Sforza rings a faint bell. Thanks!

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two words:

Guelphs and Ghibbelines

Wiki page:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guelphs_and_Ghibellines

I suggest you read Dante's Divine Comedy. Written in 1304, it includes many important historic figures of the period, especially in the Hell part.

I read part of that awhile back. Okay, like back in high school, lol. Wouldn't hurt to pick it up again. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have done a little googling, and it looks like I might be able to track down some good sources that way after all...

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Well I can't emphasize enough the importance of the Guelph and Ghibelline factions. They dominated italian politics in the Middle Ages.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I can't emphasize enough the importance of the Guelph and Ghibelline factions. They dominated italian politics in the Middle Ages.

Thank you. I am not too terribly worried about the politics of the time, except as they might have pertained to the "average" person. I know that they would have had an impact, no doubt, but my story is going to be a bit more "street level", I guess you could say. One of my characters will have a peripheral attachment to the Visconti's, but that's about it.

I'm aiming for accurate details that will make my Milan believable. I hope. God, I wish I could go there...that would really help. Pictures and history books can only do so much, argh.

Maybe one day...:D

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
If the Guelphs are beseiging your city, and the Ghibelines inside it are rounding up suspected sympathisers, you can be sure it will affect the people on the street.

Besides, Doesn't political party affiliation matter on the street here in the USA? And our parties aren't even trying to kill each other.

My link says that Milan's affiliation changed several times. You can be sure there would be reprocussions of this.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the Guelphs are beseiging your city, and the Ghibelines inside it are rounding up suspected sympathisers, you can be sure it will affect the people on the street.

Besides, Doesn't political party affiliation matter on the street here in the USA? And our parties aren't even trying to kill each other.

My link says that Milan's affiliation changed several times. You can be sure there would be reprocussions of this.

Ah. I take your point. :D

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
It's more about the relationship between the powerful elites and the creative arts than it is about the common people, but Power and Imagination provides plenty of background.