do robots have a soul?

Status
Not open for further replies.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
does artificial intelligence constitute a personality? does a personality mean it's got a soul? can its feelings ever be anything other than a collection of microchips, programming and the conversion of observed feelings? (this being the basis of a whole lot of sci-fi, it's got literary merit.)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't think we're there yet, but why not. My favourite book looking at this is 'Silver Metal Lover' -- At least I think that's what it was called.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Soul

preyer said:
does artificial intelligence constitute a personality? does a personality mean it's got a soul? can its feelings ever be anything other than a collection of microchips, programming and the conversion of observed feelings? (this being the basis of a whole lot of sci-fi, it's got literary merit.)

I certainly wouldn't think so, but it's beginning to look like it may never be an issue. Leading experts in the field of AI are now saying we're nowhere close to developing true AI, even though it all looked promising just a couple of years ago.

HConn

Whore for genre
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.harryjconnolly.com
If people have a soul, maybe robots could have them, too. It depends on how you define soul in your WIP.

Is a soul made of organized "life energy?" Is the soul karmic grace bestowed by a universe that rewards a life well-lived (iow, not something you're born with, but something you create by exercising virtue)?

Or, maybe people themselves are simply meat machines, and there's no such thing as a soul.

What works best for the story?

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
HConn said:
If people have a soul, maybe robots could have them, too. It depends on how you define soul in your WIP.

Is a soul made of organized "life energy?" Is the soul karmic grace bestowed by a universe that rewards a life well-lived (iow, not something you're born with, but something you create by exercising virtue)?

Or, maybe people themselves are simply meat machines, and there's no such thing as a soul.

What works best for the story?

I agree with this. First you have to define what you mean by a soul. It means different things to different people.

AI can basically be anything you want since it's still underdeveloped in present time and the full ramifications of it are as yet unknown.

fallenangelwriter

Registered
Reaction score
it depends on what you mean by "soul".

i belive that sophisticated enough robots could have genuine thoughtys and emotions and be real "people". however, i wouldn't expect them to have souls in a spiritual sense, though they certainly could in an Sci-fi or fantasy story.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
jester, either opinion or facts are good. both can be thought-provoking and/or lead to storyline tangents. naturally, it's a question that could be from a technological standpoint and also a philosophical one, so if you're inclined, have at it from any angle ya want. :)

does everyone pretty much agree that at some point in robot evolution there will likely be a point where asimov's robot laws come to fruition (in real life or fiction)? so, even if your robot has true AI, his programming will limit his freedoms, and without freedom to act on its opinions and 'emotions,' does that negate any kind of karmic soul? and if that's the basis of your 'soul,' the creators are effectively, though unwittingly, being bad gods by withholding the potential to be a soul? or something like that? lol. that's to say if you're programmed to excercise virtue, or even incapable of committing sin, a robot has no choice other than to be 'virtuous,' which you really can't be that without the opportunity to be sinful, so the robot really doesn't have the ability to earn its soul, eh? (unless, of course, you write it to where a robot either breaks its bonds of programming or isn't programmed like that to begin with.)

for the sake of argument, let's say a robot or supercomputer can develop a soul. naturally, a soul implies emotions. how would a super-intelligent soul reconcile all it knows about history, psychology, etc. (where 'etc' depends on your story)? in a lot of sci-fi, these souls come to the conclusion that the human race has to be destroyed. is this a natural conclusion, do you think, or a result of a soul having gone unsane due to its overwhelming smarts? for that matter, what would be the results of instilling the whole of human knowledge into a regular human brain? isn't it rather cynical for writers to arrive at the conclusion that if you pulled all facts together that the conclusion would be humans are too corrupt and/or weak to survive?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
there's a story by Greg Bear, Slant, in which he has a major character Jill, a super computer, who most definitely has a personality...complete with joys, anxieties and anger.

Then, of course, there was HAL . . .

Stories that involve machines with soul (either real--and what does that mean?--or imagined) is fairly common, I think.

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
I'm not sure about soul neccessarily implying emotion - wouldn't that mean that people with severe autism or sociopathy didn't have souls? Or had smaller souls than the rest of us?

Whatever the soul is, if it is, if humans and other living things have them I can see no reason why sufficiently complex machines shouldn't have them - after all, the human body is just a complex machine made of organic electrical wiring and chemical pumps.

If you belong to one of those Christian sects that believe that humans have souls and other living things don't, then you would probably believe robots didn't either. But if you believe that anything which has thoughts and feelings and self-awareness has a soul then a developed AI ought to have one too.

Bonus point for 10 - if reincarnation exists, would a robot with a soul have a special, separate, robot-type soul which only incarnated into other robot bodies - or would you find robots inhabited by souls which had been human last time around and vice versa?

Alphabeter

Player of the Letters
Registered
Reaction score
Johnnie Five is A-L-I-V-E.

Short Circuit is a good movie of this premise. Machine is struck by lightning and seems to develop a soul. It wants to learn and stay alive while its programmers (and their bosses) hunt it down to kill it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Moondancer said:
I agree with this. First you have to define what you mean by a soul. It means different things to different people.

AI can basically be anything you want since it's still underdeveloped in present time and the full ramifications of it are as yet unknown.

One of the problems with AI research is that no one knows for sure how an AI would manifest itself. Thus, we do not even know if we could identify an AI if one existed or was created. The question of a soul is, I think, of the same nature.

If you are speaking about the tradtional robot of Sci-Fi literature, you would have to assume a soul for a robot if you assume a soul for all animals, but not if you only assume a soul for people.

Rob

fallenangelwriter

Registered
Reaction score
The laws of robotics wouldn't prevent the development of soul. everyone has intrinsic limitatios of some sort.

i see no problem with robots being every bit as alive and sentient as people. if writing a fantasy story in which "souls" really existed as some kind of magical energy or whatever, i wouldn't think that robots would have them. then again, they might- perhaps bestoweed by some robot god at the moment tey became sentient.

now i'm picturing an entire society of hindu or maybe buddhist robots. their "ghost in the machine" returns to animate the parts of other fallen robots, or new ones from the factories...

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
is freedom an intrinsic ingredient towards having a soul? by limiting its freedom, you limit its ability to have a soul? and is having a body necessary? can the internut develop self-awaredness, for instance?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Wha: I have met several people that have AI. But so far have not met any bots that are anything more than someone's own ideas, thoughts and personality. But since fiction books/movies are nothing more than pretend I think you can have what ever you want. Just make sure you explain how 'this' happens in a way that might make sense. I look to the book/movie arena to entertain me not with true facts all the time. If I wanted real true facts I would read school books and research books. So go ahead and take me one step into the world of pretend. Could be a very interesting concept to take on.:poke: (IMO)

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
One of the problems with AI research is that no one knows for sure how an AI would manifest itself. Thus, we do not even know if we could identify an AI if one existed or was created. The question of a soul is, I think, of the same nature.

If you are speaking about the tradtional robot of Sci-Fi literature, you would have to assume a soul for a robot if you assume a soul for all animals, but not if you only assume a soul for people.

Rob

I don't think a robot would qualify as an animal, either. If you assume soul for biological creatures, this still leaves out robots.

I think a robot with a soul is a good plot for a story, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. At best, it falls along the lines of FTL travel and "May the force be with you."

We may not know how true AI will manifest, but we do know it hasn't happened yet, and shows no indication of ever happening in the forseeable future. So far, the best AI we have is 100% smoke and mirrors with 0% actual intelligence or personality.

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
Jamesaritchie said:
I don't think a robot would qualify as an animal, either. If you assume soul for biological creatures, this still leaves out robots.
I don't see why, unless you're assuming there's something magical about carbon-rings. The body is a machine, made of self-replicating chemicals - would you assume, for example, that a silicon-based alien couldn't have a soul?

Zane Curtis

Dried Frog Pill Dispenser
Registered
Reaction score
What's a soul? What does it look like? Would you recognise it if you saw it lying in the street? How would you measure it?

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
You could take it either to mean simply having self-awareness, consciousness and a conscience of some sort - or you could take it as having an immortal soul, in the mystical sense.

If the latter, it's only testable if you believe in/postulate reincarnation and/or mediumship, because to know whether a robot's personality could survive death you'd have to be able to talk to it after death, or it would have to have memories of somewhere/one it had been before birth.

Actually I suppose you could do it without mediumship... suppose you wiped a robot's or AI's memory completely, set it right back to the defaults and let it build itself up again from scratch, and it it came back just as it had been including memories which you knew you'd erased, that would suggest that it had mind and memory somewhere outside its physical form (or had access to some sort of hole in time). I might use that in a story some day!

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
for that matter, do humans develop a new soul when full-blown alzheimer's happens? or if it's possible to completely erase a person's memories, does their 'new life' merit a new soul?

i think a robotic soul implies, like it's implied above, that there would be the possibility of a robot ghost. it's kinda hard to know when a robot is self-aware or is just programmed to say that, or with unlimited knowledge convinces itself it is but is really just a function of circuits cranking out blather.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
More importantly, how would you resolve the problem if you had a robot with free will that then professed a belief in god? That might be part of the critical thinking necessary in determining whether a robot has a soul.

While we typically ascribe the existence of a soul within every human being, it may not be a universal belief. Yet, a significant number of people who believe in the existence of a soul and a significant number who do not will agree that there is a god. So, is it the belief that's more important?

Rather than try to reach a definitive answer here, which may be impossible, it might be more important to put some of those thoughts into your writing where it can reach and influence others.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
that's true, dave. i pose the question (and a lot of others) *as* a way of research, a food-for-thought type of exploration.

watcher, i'm not a spiritual person at all, really. i'm as likely to equate 'soul' and 'personality' and leave it at that. being agnostic, i'm not going to aver a soul does or doesn't exist, though some people's theories seem to be ridiculous to me based on research, the type of people who believes in their version, and last but not least the argument's pros and cons. i'm more than willing to listen to someone's anecdotal 'evidence,' but at the same time still have to put it into perspective.

a lot of people will swear animals won't go to heaven because they have no soul. 'they're not self-aware,' is one big argument, i think. how self-aware are *we* really, though? 'animals merely react based on their environment, needs, and genetic disposition, therefore they don't have a *true* personality.' oh, like humans are sooo much different in this respect, eh? lol. at the same time, i can't find much of a con to 'their' argument the further down the foodchain i go. at some point i have to wonder if a worm has a soul, and if i go that far, why not plants? why not atoms? why not abstracts like the wind and sea and gravity?

so, when it comes to what constitutes a soul, i'm conflicted. that's why i explore it in some of the things i write about. 'soul' appears to have everything to do with having faith. add to that the fear of death, of there being no life after the ones we piss away on earth. and being at the top of the food chain and supposedly intelligent, there's possibily an egotistical side to being a human that we use to further elevate us to the ultimate creatures. i mean, God created us in 'our' image (not specifically His as it's often quoted as saying), but i have to wonder if the writer/s of that made Him in *our* image. from a 'pagan' standpoint, that's certainly unusual to have god be like us. indeed, to have the main god be male wasn't the basis of a lot if not most of early paganism (based on my research, at least ~ yours might contradict that).

so, if someone wants to worship treebark, good for them. personally, i think it's ridiculous, but so are a lot of things the majority of the world takes for fact. i'm more than willing to, at the very least, be educated.

i'll offer a definition of what a 'soul' is based on the story's implications, but i'll typically stop before it gets to be a dialogue defining what it is and its finer points. in the situations is where i'll do the exploring, though often i find the character reacting to the philosophies of his 'religion' based on research than coming out with explicit arguments for or against. i've had characters have religious epiphanies which lead to their 'self-discovery.' how it happens and how it affects them depends on the needs of the story. this is where my question in the political thread about how writers might instill their own afflictions, i mean, affiliations in their writing has a cross-over -- do writers often put their religious beliefs in a story? if so, by the process of writing, how do direct conflicts with their personal belief get resolved?

to me it seems a given that if you have your robot develop a true soul that that necessarily implies there's a religion behind it. how, i wonder, would a robot in a muslim household consider his soul as opposed to one in a christian household? and is it possible for an atheist robot to have a soul? (in as far as it has to do with traditional, i.e. mass-market appeal, ways of thinking as opposed to being a part of a cosmic life force belief.)

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
preyer said:
a lot of people will swear animals won't go to heaven because they have no soul. 'they're not self-aware,' is one big argument, i think. how self-aware are *we* really, though? 'animals merely react based on their environment, needs, and genetic disposition, therefore they don't have a *true* personality.' oh, like humans are sooo much different in this respect, eh?
Absolutely. And most experiments to determine whether other animals are self-aware seem to be based on whether they can recognize themselves in a mirror - a test which is heavily biased towards sight-dominant species. A dog might just as well conclude that humans aren't self-aware because we can't recognize our own smell!

Some behaviourists say that the mere fact of territoriality and scent-marking in so many other species implies awareness of meum and teum, and therefore self-awareness. Some even say that a mouse, for example, is *more* self-aware than a human, because the brighter you are the less you have to think consciously. That is, someone who is very mathematically able can perform quite complex calculations more-or-less subconsciously, where someone who has poor numeracy has to put a lot of conscious effort into quite simple sums: and by the same token a mouse may well put more conscious effort into its everyday living than we do.

One of the damn silliest things I've ever seen was a debate about whether great apes should have human rights, which involved film of an ape working out a mechanical puzzle involving stacking boxes to get at something high up, and the pundits were all sitting round saying "Ah, but you can see that a lot of it's just trial-and-error" and - which was the silly part - nobody pointed out that that would also be true for most humans in the same situation.

[Btw, bright rats can also work out this sort of puzzle, with clear basic understanding of the problem, and trial-and-error only when it comes to the exact details of "Is this going to be high enough like this or do I need to adjust it?"]

preyer said:
lol. at the same time, i can't find much of a con to 'their' argument the further down the foodchain i go. at some point i have to wonder if a worm has a soul, and if i go that far, why not plants? why not atoms? why not abstracts like the wind and sea and gravity?
Well, animist-pagans would say, why not?

preyer said:
indeed, to have the main god be male wasn't the basis of a lot if not most of early paganism (based on my research, at least ~ yours might contradict that).
It's not the basis of Judaism either. Although the Jewish take on God is referred to as "the Father" it's also said to have a womb, so really it's an "It" - it's only "He" because there's no neuter tense in Hebrew. And whilst in Judaism the fixed, "I am that I am" aspect of God is normally thought of as male, the Shekina, the active, doing part of God - the thing Christians call the Holy Spirit - is female. [Interestingly, this is the same static vs. active, being vs. doing dualism as in the oriental idea of yin and yang - but the assumption as to which half is male and which female is different.]

As a pagan, I have to admit that the sexism which is so endemic in much of Christianity was actually something it contracted from Greek pagans, who were heavily male-oriented.

[And Ancient Greek male chauvinism seems to have come about at least partly because female prostitutes were expected to be educated, wise and witty - so upper-class women deliberately cultivated the appearance of being thick and ignorant because they thought clever, educated women were "common."]

preyer said:
to me it seems a given that if you have your robot develop a true soul that that necessarily implies there's a religion behind it. how, i wonder, would a robot in a muslim household consider his soul as opposed to one in a christian household? and is it possible for an atheist robot to have a soul? (in as far as it has to do with traditional, i.e. mass-market appeal, ways of thinking as opposed to being a part of a cosmic life force belief.)
Even in a religious context I think the soul has to be some sort of cosmic life-force, and not requiring the person to have a religion. I've never heard even the most loopy, fundamentalist Christian or Muslim suggest that unbelievers don't *have* a soul - they just think they're going to burn in hellfire for all eternity. And if souls exist, they exist - I don't think you *neccesarily* need a religious explanation for them. You can have one if you like: but you can equally well posit the soul as an immortal energy-being which bonds with and rides in a physical matrix for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.