PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Season 4 of Project Runway

lute
03-10-2008, 02:52 AM
Spoilers will be present in this thread. ;)

I know I'm going to sound silly when I post this thread (after looking at learned, intelligent conversations about great film such as 'No Country for Old Men' and 'Atonement' and the like), but I know all of you love Project Runway and are just denying it. Or not, whichever. I'm a shameless fan and proud. It's the only reality TV show I will actually watch. In fact, it's one of the only TV shows I watch period, apart from the occasional cartoon. With that aside, I want to know what everyone thought about this most recent season. Here are my thoughts, and I'd like to hear from others too, of course!

1. I thought the editing was atrocious. It's especially evident in the reunion episode. The editing was choppy and made for awkward pauses and camera shifts. During the second to last episode, they edited out Christian's entire family/friend visit, when everyone else got plenty of family time on screen? All reality shows do it, but I thought they portrayed certain contestants as 'the bitch' or 'the pocket gay' far stronger than they should have. It was more misleading than anything else.

2. I liked the people who were picked for the show (Sweet P!), but they seemed more serious and professional rather than the last three seasons, who appeared to be more focused on having fun and creating things based on that. A lot of the contestants this season were just plain boring. Then we had over the top personality like Christian (I will admit to loving the boy and being a fan, though) and Chris and uh, Elisa... yeah.

3. I thought the final fashion show was pretty awesome. I was disappointed by last year's fashion show (mostly with Michael) so this year, while I didn't personally like everything shown, I at least wasn't disappointed with the outcome. Rami's weaved clothing was astounding, but his color choices? No thanks. Jillian's clothing was adorable. She has a commercial vision, and she will be very successful, I believe. I could definitely see myself wearing her clothing.

4. Congratulations, Christian. I am very happy for the boy, and I think he will do wonderful things for the world of fashion. I would like him to tone down a tiny, little bit, but it's his gig. Hardly any of his clothing could be considered successful on a commercial scale, but I have faith that he can do it and I would like to support him if he creates a line for bluefly.com. He needed the money most (he was living in a hallway, basically), so yeah. Hoorah.

5. That car Christian won was hideous and cheap-looking. I would have sold it immediately.

Discussion? *crickets*

Soccer Mom
03-10-2008, 03:03 AM
I'll come out of the closet (so to speak. I was only in there looking at fashion anyway. What did you think?)

1. This year the contestants were chosen for their skills instead of their drama. I enjoyed the fashions and the show more.

2. Christian was the most couture of the finalist. Jillian was the most RTW. Rami had gorgeous formal wear, but he needs an assistant with color savvy to stand by and say "no." Is he colorblind?

3. I didn't notice the editing, but I wouldn't. I"m clueless on that sort of thing.

4. I was disappointed that Chris wasn't in the finals. I loved him and I'd have loved to see Sweet P's line.

And I adore Tim Gunn. I can't say that enough times. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Where's Andre?

lute
03-10-2008, 03:35 AM
I'll come out of the closet (so to speak. I was only in there looking at fashion anyway. What did you think?)

1. This year the contestants were chosen for their skills instead of their drama. I enjoyed the fashions and the show more.

2. Christian was the most couture of the finalist. Jillian was the most RTW. Rami had gorgeous formal wear, but he needs an assistant with color savvy to stand by and say "no." Is he colorblind?

3. I didn't notice the editing, but I wouldn't. I"m clueless on that sort of thing.

4. I was disappointed that Chris wasn't in the finals. I loved him and I'd have loved to see Sweet P's line.

And I adore Tim Gunn. I can't say that enough times. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Where's Andre?

In response to your numbers ;)

1. Yes, it's pretty obvious they were chosen for their skills. I think it's great that they made that move, especially because that would usually make for a more boring show. In a way it wasn't as fun, but in another way it was more exciting. The things these people came up with were glorious.

2. Many men are colorblind. It wouldn't surprise me, but it surprises me that he's gotten this far already in the fashion industry if he's colorblind. I was raising my eyebrow when I saw his models come out in those colors. Wasn't expecting that at all.

4. You do know the Project Runway secret, don't you? The top five finalists get to create a line and show it at fashion week! If you go to youtube, you can search for Chris's and Sweet P's collections that went down the same runway as Christian's, Jillian's and Rami's ;) I'm not sure why they don't publicize that, but it's been like that from season 1, I believe.

Tim Gunn is adorable. He definitely knows how to 'make it work.' ;)

Cranky
03-10-2008, 04:30 AM
4. You do know the Project Runway secret, don't you? The top five finalists get to create a line and show it at fashion week! If you go to youtube, you can search for Chris's and Sweet P's collections that went down the same runway as Christian's, Jillian's and Rami's ;) I'm not sure why they don't publicize that, but it's been like that from season 1, I believe.

Really? That's awesome! And yes, Tim Gunn is great.

That said, I was a tad miffed that Christian won. No doubt, that young fella's got talent. He needs to learn to edit, though.

My personal pick would've been Jillian, though I loved Rami's stuff. The only color I had a problem with was the fuschia/red thing. That was a bit much...

Oh, and that one green dress in one of the earlier challenges. The dress itself was beautiful, but the color reminded me of moldy bread. Not a good look. :D

MattW
03-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Every season, I stop watching when the last straight male gets eliminated.

Last year was a good year. This year, not so much.

Soccer Mom
03-10-2008, 05:52 AM
In response to your numbers ;)

Yes, I saw the youtube collections. But I would love to see the full show. All I could find were snippets. Victoriya had a show on her own. I didn't care for it, but then I found her uninspired.

Cranky
03-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Yes, I saw the youtube collections. But I would love to see the full show. All I could find were snippets. Victoriya had a show on her own. I didn't care for it, but then I found her uninspired.

I'd tell you what I thought of Victoria, but there aren't enough @#$!* on my keyboard for that...:D

dolores haze
03-10-2008, 05:59 AM
I wanted Christian to win - until he said he only wanted the skinniest models, and told them (with a shitty little laugh) that he didn't want them to eat anything. I hereby sentence him to a lifetime diet of lettuce leaves.

Birol
03-10-2008, 06:05 AM

I just learned this, but I've only been watching since Season 3. I'm not sure why they do this. I know it's something to do with timing. I'm going to have to search YouTube for Chris's and Sweet P's collections.

I was disappointed with the fact that Christian won.

katiemac
03-10-2008, 07:45 AM
I watched the finale but managed to miss all of their collections when my computer decided to erase the paper I was currently writing.

So I don't have thoughts on their final collections, but based on their previous work I would go for Jillian or Christian. I'm sad we didn't get to see more of Chris' collection (safety pins!). Overall I think the quality of work was far better in this season than previous ones but challenges themselves weren't as entertaining. What happened to all of the outragous design-out-of-trash eliminations? I always looked forward to seeing what people could pull together and with the talent on in this season I was disapointed they didn't go in that direction more.

But still, I think a lot of people had great work.

Expanding Ink
03-10-2008, 08:13 AM
I, too, was glad that Christian won. He had the most creativity and flair - his work may not have actually been wearable by any moderately-healthy, reasonably-sane woman, but it was always interesting.

lute
03-10-2008, 08:46 AM
On Christian being a smug, arrogant queen: I was watching the Today show or something akin to that at random the other day, and he was a guest for about a minute. One of the interviewers asked if he would make XXL sized clothing for him, and he totally paused to think about it, then said, "for you, maybe." It just doesn't seem to be his bag, to make ready to wear clothing. In a way, it appears as though he designs clothing for himself (only for taller people, because damn he is short!). I mean, come on, those skinny jeans were cool, but would look good on next to no one. However, I think he does make nice silhouettes and jackets. He just needs to work on editing. You have to remember that he's twenty-one years old. The kid has a lot of growing to do, and hopefully that will bring about a more mature Christian. Don't keep your hopes up.

On Victorya: Coming from Christian in a number of interviews (read: biased opinion), he said that she was edited to be a super bitch when in reality, she is a really sweet girl who helps him out even now and they still keep in touch. I heard a rumor that when she got 'auf'd' she blew up at the judges and said some pretty nasty things, thus the editing in as her being an absolute bitch. I don't know if that's the truth or just made up, but even though I didn't care for her uninspired attitude that shone through regardless of the editing, others that were in the show claim that she wasn't completely like that.

Ah, the politics of Project Runway. :\

I thought Rami shouldn't have even beat out Chris for fashion week in the first place. Sure, his work was a little kooky, but the WORK that went into his designs. Eight hours for a LINE of safety pins? Is he insane? Why yes, yes he is *cue Chris's laughter*. But seriously, I thought his designs had more to offer than Rami's, and especially out of the three that were chosen on either side. That jacket of Rami's was no good in my opinion. Just, no.

I wanted Christian to win - until he said he only wanted the skinniest models, and told them (with a shitty little laugh) that he didn't want them to eat anything. I hereby sentence him to a lifetime diet of lettuce leaves.

He already has the volume of a blade of grass; any more diet would make him waste away! Is it bad that I thought it was funny when he said that about his models? I don't know, I didn't hold it against him. His humor may seem a little offensive, but I'm going to stick up for him and say that I don't think he's as rude and asshole-y as he was made out to be. Based on multiple interviews I've listened to and watched of him, I'm just not feeling the anger towards his attitude. The last couple of episodes showed a much more subdued, almost modest Christian. Sure, he would make a snide remark here and there, but I honestly don't see him as such a bad person. People say things under pressure, and as a side note, models are models because they are skinny. I think he has a right to liking the skinniest ones, because his designs suit super skinny people and make his pieces look better. /endrant

DeleyanLee
03-10-2008, 04:25 PM
I've been watching Project Runway almost from the first episode, first season (caught it in reruns, though) and I'll be honest--I was bored senseless with Season 4 and stopped watching.

I wasn't into to the show for the fashions, I was into it for the personal interplay and to see what creativity and skill can do when pushed to such extreme limits. It was interesting to see how people coped with the pressure, and with the cramped living conditions and the constant "do or die" of every competition.

This season's contestants didn't interest me. Maybe because they were already professional and were so hopeful and starry-eyed. Maybe because the producers had dropped into a formula set of participants. Maybe cause there wasn't a single really abrasive personality to catch my interest from the start (Give me Santino or Jeff any day). Whatever it was, I was utterly bored by the third challenge and stopped paying attention.

All that said, Tim Gun still rules, but even he wasn't enough to make me watch the show.

dgiharris
03-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Project Runway Season 4 had a lot more talent and the fashion was much better.

There is no way in Hell, Chris should have been eliminated, his three outfits were much better than Romeys. I think the judges were just out of their comfort zone, so went with Romey who was a "safe" bet. Too bad.

I think Julian should have won. Her designs and clothes were better than Christian's, but alas, that is the problem with subjective art forms, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Anyways, now it's on to TOP CHEF. Love that show as well.

Soccer Mom
03-17-2008, 03:41 AM
Hooray for Top Chef! I agreed with the first ouster. She seemed overwhelmed by the whole thing.

Cranky
03-17-2008, 03:42 AM
Hooray for Top Chef! I agreed with the first ouster. She seemed overwhelmed by the whole thing.

Yah. Any favorites yet? :D

Soccer Mom
03-17-2008, 04:09 AM
We might need to get mods to rename this "All things Project Runway/Top Chef"!

Let's see:

So far:

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/_images/chef_small_headshots/andrew.jpgAndrew is annoying. I think he believes himself to be on Hell's Kitchen. He was being bleeped every other word. Honestly, I could forgive a lot if he was fantastic. He wasn't.

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/_images/chef_small_headshots/stephanie.jpgI love Stephanie.

http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/_images/chef_small_headshots/jennifer.jpgI love Jennifer, but haven't warmed to her partner Zoi. http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/_images/chef_small_headshots/zoi.jpg I don't dislike Zoi, I just haven't warmed to her.

ETA: I forgot Richard. I like him too. http://www.bravotv.com/Top_Chef/season/4/_images/chef_small_headshots/richard.jpg

Cranky
03-17-2008, 04:13 AM
Stephanie. Oh yeah. I'm pulling for her, so far. And yeah, I'm starting to think that Andrew might be this season's Stephen. Steven? I can't remember how he spelled it, darn it.

Soccer Mom
03-17-2008, 04:19 AM
Except Stephen (I think it was Stephen) had some real cooking chops. Andrew has yet to prove anything.

Cranky
03-17-2008, 04:23 AM
Except Stephen (I think it was Stephen) had some real cooking chops. Andrew has yet to prove anything.

Point taken. :)

He annoys the heck out of me, though.

Soccer Mom
03-17-2008, 04:32 AM
Oh, absolutely. Stephen, Marcel, Top Chef has a history of choosing wankers to piss people off. And this season, we have the manic Andrew.

lute
03-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Haha, yay Top Chef! I was glad Nimma was the first one off'd. She was whiny and seemed the least qualified of everyone. She kind of came off as a kill joy anyway :\

I really liked Dale, but it looks like he kind of explodes at someone in the next episode judging from the preview. Stephanie seems like she's really awesome :) I'm rooting for her. I thought Mark was a neat guy and he has an accent, so what's not to like? I didn't think his plate was pretentious like the judges said, but whatever. They obviously know more than me.

I couldn't stand the fact that Ryan was bullshitting everything he said. He didn't know what he was talking about. But he didn't admit it; no, he just rambled on about his childhood and how he 'remembered' it. Annoying. Andrew seems like he's on some kind of uppers. So obnoxious and loud.

Soccer Mom
03-17-2008, 09:54 PM
How could I forget Ryan the Rambler? Yeah, he needs to stop living in his childhood. How old are you now? Time to move on, dude. You grew up in a restaurant...and?

I like Mark too. I"m waiting to see what else he brings to the table.

Susan Gable
03-17-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm late to the thread, but hey, better late than never.

After seeing Romi's collectoin (Blech, with the exception of a couple of his gowns) I shrieked at the tv, "We lost CHRIS for THIS?" So I agree, Chris should have shown his collection, forget Rami.

I thought a lot of Jillian's stuff was cute. She knows how to flatter the female figure when she can make the stick models look like they have curves.

However, I did think Christian's collection was the clear winner. That last gown of his was just.. FIERCE! The fact that he's only a kidlet bodes well for him, I think. To have that much talent so young...I think we'll be hearing from Christian in the future, and not just in future episodes of P. Runway.

Top Chef... I missed the darn premiere! <sigh> Maybe i'll catch it in one of the zillion reruns they do. :)

Susan G.

mscelina
03-17-2008, 10:56 PM
Souffle. Chicken piccata. Shrimp scampi. "deconstructed" duck l'orange. Hmmm....apparently the molecular gastronomists need a Home & Garden cookbook or two. leave the liquid nitrogen at home, kids.

And, just for giggles, after the premiere last week I made alovely deep dish pizza. mmmmmmm....roasted garlic and chicken--and an edible crust.

I have a feeling that as the season goes on, this crew will be very interesting. From the first moment the first bootee was introduced I was muttering 'first to go--please, god, first to go..."

But, between Top Chef and Ghost Hunters I'm a happy girl! I have two hours of original entertainment on TV every week! YAY!

And if you guys haven't seen the John Adams miniseries on HBO, I suggest you give it a whirl. Fabulous.

[/end Celina's annual TV input--back to original programming]

ZannaPerry
03-29-2008, 06:19 AM
::raises hand:: I've watched project runway since season 1, and I have to admit....I don't think Christian should have won. I mean....really, I was rooting for Jillian. Only because her clothes and style were what real women today could wear. Christian just annoyed me like a little brother.

I LOVE PROJECT RUNWAY!

Soccer Mom
04-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Project Runway V premieres in July! (http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/bravo-confirms-project-runway-fifth-season-debut-in-july-6936.php)

Cranky
04-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Coolio! How does everyone else feel about the move to Lifetime?

I'm not so wild about it. I haven't tuned into that channel in a muy long time. *sigh* Oh wells. Hopefully, they don't change the show.