PDA

View Full Version : I've been age insulted ...

Susie
03-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Can you imagine, I asked a clerk how old she thought I looked and to my horror and surprise she said exactly how old I am. Now that's just rude. Everyone knows you're supposed to guess at least five years younger! :)Have you ever asked someone your age and they guessed it and how'd ya feel about it? Just curious. :)

Silver King
03-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I shaved off my beard a while back and folks said I look ten years younger. You can bet I won't be growing it back any time soon!

skelly
03-10-2008, 12:39 AM
What if she DID guess five years younger than she actually thought you were?

:D

joyce
03-10-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm afraid to ask!:D

Rolling Thunder
03-10-2008, 12:42 AM
*enters, reads OP...backs slowly out of thread*

dpaterso
03-10-2008, 12:44 AM
I hope your nostrils flared with righteous indignation!

-Derek

Susie
03-10-2008, 12:46 AM
What if she DID guess five years younger than she actually thought you were?

:D

I think I would have felt better. :D Derek really understands, though. Nah, I didn't flare my nostrils, cuz I did ask her. I won't anymore. lol.

Ziljon
03-10-2008, 12:48 AM
You're beautiful, Susie. Your age will never change that.:)

Ken
03-10-2008, 12:50 AM
People often think I am much younger than I am, but I think that is not because of how I look but how I behave. On my last temp job, for instance, I constructed miniature people out of cardboard and placed them on my desk. (I was actually using the figures to visualize a scene in a story I was working on.)

czjaba
I'm 33 and occasionally get carded for cigarettes. The other day, I had my hand on my ID ready to show her, and she said, "Nah, I know you're old enough."

choppersmom
You're beautiful, Susie. Your age will never change that.:)

Seconded. Any dispute will be dealt with in the most unpleasant manner imaginable.

All I know is, I look like a hag, but at 42 I still get proofed in bars from time to time. What a thrill!

Silver King
03-10-2008, 12:55 AM
I saw a picture of Susie once, and she's just as lovely on the outside as she is on the inside.

Devil Ledbetter
03-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Bummer.

That will teach you to ask people to guess your age.;)

I'm sure you look at least 6 years younger.

Susie
03-10-2008, 12:58 AM
Aww, thanks so much. You guys sure make me feel good and back atcha! In some stores, they card people up to 40 years of age! Man, they're strict! :Hug2:

A. Hamilton
03-10-2008, 12:58 AM
:Sun: Suzie, there's NO way you don't emanate the spunk and beauty of a bright young woman.

personally though, I'm at a point where I think people are older than they are, especially the 30-35'ers, because I'm in denial about my own age.

Ken
03-10-2008, 01:00 AM
...but who is this jerky clerk anyhow, Susie? I've a good notion to give 'em a piece of my mind. (Figuratively speaking, of course!)

DWSTXS
03-10-2008, 01:01 AM
I'm 52 and recenty got carded for liquor and told the girl I was old enough to be her father, and she said 'Yeah, you look like you could be his age" and I asked how old her father was, and she said "38"

;)

Appalachian Writer
03-10-2008, 01:03 AM
I've got the problem licked. I always add a few years to my real age when someone's rude enough to ask, and invariably, I get the same response: "Wow! You look so much younger."

Susie
03-10-2008, 01:14 AM
Your replies are touching, funny and wonderful. Really appreciated!

eldragon
03-10-2008, 01:16 AM
I feel your pain.

Before I hit 40, nobody could believe how old I was.

For some reason, after 40, nobody questions it.

Not good.

And not easy to accept.

And certainly not easy to look into the mirror anymore.

Just forget about your reflection in store windows. DON'T LOOK!

At least my husband still thinks I'm beautiful and sexy and all that. We're fading at the same rate.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Just remember: you'll never be younger than you are RIGHT NOW. So... enjoy it.

DeleyanLee
03-10-2008, 01:39 AM
I may have the ultimate age insult remark. That I still remember it 30 years later probably attests to that fact.

It was the summer of my 16th year, and my youngest sister (5 years younger) was playing out in the front yard with a band of the neighborhood kids (mostly younger than she was). My mom had gone to the market, so I "was in charge". An encyclopedia salesman (not kidding!) came to the door and we started talking. I was very agreeable to the idea of an updated encyclopedia in the house since the one we had was as old as I was and well dated.

And then the guy said, "I can see that you take your children's education serious."

He thought at least two of those kids playing in the front yard were mine. When I pressed, he admitted thinking that I was in my mid-twenties and at least two of the youngest kids out there were mine.

I was very glad to hit my 20's and finally be the age I looked. Hopefully that hasn't changed much since then.

JoNightshade
03-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Everyone always thinks I'm older than I am. Which is no longer going to be amusing and flattering once I hit 30. :)

A couple of years ago, my dad was buying some alcohol and the clerk carded him. My dad (about 62 then) just started laughing and said, "You made my day." The clerk, probably around 75, said, "Oh, all you young guys look the same to me!!"

It's all relative. :)

Voyager
03-10-2008, 01:50 AM
I've learned not to ask that question because, invariably, eyes fall to my chest and the answer is an immediate, 12?

TrainofThought
03-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Can you imagine, I asked a clerk how old she thought I looked and to my horror and surprise she said exactly how old I am. Now that's just rude. Everyone knows you're supposed to guess at least five years younger! :)Have you ever asked someone your age and they guessed it and how'd ya feel about it? Just curious. :)OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark. You're right, she is supposed to guess younger. :)

I never ask such questions, because I see the lines and pounds. It's much easier to live in a fantasy world. I've adjusted my mirror to make me look 10-years younger and 10 pounds lighter. It's the only mirror I use. ;)

Unique
03-10-2008, 01:52 AM
Can you imagine, I asked a clerk how old she thought I looked and to my horror and surprise she said exactly how old I am. Now that's just rude. Everyone knows you're supposed to guess at least five years younger! :)Have you ever asked someone your age and they guessed it and how'd ya feel about it? Just curious. :)

Oh, heck no! I'm not a masochist. I used to get carded - then I got married. Stupid STB-ex!:rant:

reigningcatsndogs
03-10-2008, 03:25 AM
Susie, Susie, Susie :e2smack: You NEVER ask that question.

I've never been carded in my life, including during those 3 years I spent every weekend in the bar before I turned legal drinking age. Everyone else around me was carded, but they never checked my ID.:D

That said, at the end of my first pregnancy, I was a week overdue when my sister and DH took me in to the city as a means of distraction. I thought it would be good to get some Christmas shopping done before the baby arrived, and walked into an electronics store. This cocky little poophead that was supposed to be doing customer service saw me, and yelled out from across the store "Holy God! Look at the size of THAT one. There's gotta be at least twins in there!" My sister and DH took a step back and just watched my hormonal explosion. I ended up grabbing my stomach, doubling over and screaming that my water had just broken, and I was in labor. The kid almost started to cry. My work was done, I straightened up, smiled at the people standing around watching, and left the damned store.

I was feeling pretty good till we went to get lunch. We walked into the restaurant, and the greeter looked at me, shook his head and said 'Damn, you'll never fit in a booth with THAT!' He was probably the damned electronics clerk's brother!:rant:

Susie, you are beautiful, ageless, and amazing. Don't let the twit worry you.:Hug2:

writin52
03-10-2008, 03:30 AM
O Susie, never, never never, fish for age compliments, they always backfire. I'm 55 and I am now being asked if I'd like the seniors discount! If I were a good liar, I'd accept, but in spite of looking 65, I do not have a good liar's face. That's why I never play cards for money;)

KikiteNeko
03-10-2008, 03:34 AM
When people tell me to guess their age, I just say "twenty" even if they're clearly past their seventies. Then it's like they have to laugh at the ridiculous compliment, or take it seriously.

I'm 23, and I still get asked what grade I'm in. The best was one time I had an entire conversation with a customer at work (also at age 23 at the time), and after talking to me for like ten minutes he told me, "You talk like you're well-educated. Are you applying for college next year?"

And a woman at the scratch ticket place who was like "You're not 18. No way." And I was like "I turned 18.... 5.... years ago...." My mom had to confirm.

astonwest
03-10-2008, 03:49 AM
My wife has been labeled a "grandma" in the last couple of months by several people, because we watch our niece and take her out with us.

As you can imagine, it makes her feel real good... :)

Shady Lane
03-10-2008, 03:51 AM
People always guess seventeen for me. BWAHAHA.

Eskimo1990
03-10-2008, 03:54 AM
No one ever believes I am 17. They always think I am much younger. My freshman year, on the swim team camping trip, someone didn't even know I was on the team, they thought I was someone's younger sister...

They never believe me, and I don't even have a driver's license to prove that I am in fact 17...luckily my CAP ID says I was born in December 1990, otherwise no one would believe me.

sheadakota
03-10-2008, 03:58 AM
when I was 15 and had to babysit my older sister's newborn I was horrified that some one might mistake the baby as mine.

When I was 21 I couldn't wait until I got carded

When I was 31 my husband and I were at the shore and the doorman wouldn't let me in the Brass Balls because I didn't have my ID

Nobody ever cards me anymore

Nobody ever questions that my children are mine

I get in anywhere without question

*sigh*

Dale Emery
03-10-2008, 03:59 AM

Ask her how much she thinks you weigh.

Dale

Soccer Mom
03-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Susie, it's how old we are inside that counts. Me? I'm gonna be a juvenile delinquent at 80. So there.

melaniehoo
03-10-2008, 05:14 AM
I've adjusted my mirror to make me look 10-years younger and 10 pounds lighter. It's the only mirror I use. ;)

I had a mirror like that for awhile. My husband (then boyfriend) kept wanting to fix it but I wouldn't let him. :D

People have always thought I look younger than I am and if I had a nickel for every time people said "you'll love it when you're older" I'd be rich and they'd be right. Down here people think my husband & I are both in our early 20s and often ask if we're down here studying on exchange-type programs. I think my mom thought I was exaggerating but it happened while she was here last month.

Susie, I'm awful at the guessing game and usually refuse to answer because I end up insulting the person. I may have to steal the trick of saying everyone looks 20. At least the person didn't go OVER your age, right?

Haggis
03-10-2008, 05:22 AM
I've learned not to ask that question because, invariably, eyes fall to my chest and the answer is an immediate, 12?

But I told you I wasn't staring at your chest.

Sheesh.

All my AW women look younger than they are, and they're all younger than that lie that's printed on their drivers licenses (except for the really young ones who are really old enough to go out and buy tequila, as long as they drink responsibly and don't drive).

kellytijer
03-10-2008, 05:23 AM
I help out in my daughter's class form time to time. Last time I was there one of the kids said, "Miss Giselle's-mom, you look like a teenager."

Awwww. Or maybe it was because of the pimple on my chin....blast!

choppersmom
03-10-2008, 05:45 AM
OMG, I can't believe I forgot the bestest wrong-age story ever.

OK. I'm always being told I look younger than I am. It's not as great as you'd think, but anyway. I was once driving with my son Steven, who was 19 at the time. I got pulled over for an expired inspection. the cop asked the usual questions, where are you going, whose car is it, etc. I said it was my boyfriend's car, and he asked if Steven was my boyfriend! I chuckled and said no, he's my son, but thanks. He went to go check and make sure I wasn't a dangerous criminal, and Steven said, "Damn, Mom, you really DO look young!" We laughed like fools until the cop came back and let me off with a warning.

Silver King
03-10-2008, 06:05 AM
...Or maybe it was because of the pimple on my chin....blast!
Why does that happen when we're older and supposedly beyond the age of acne? It must be a reminder that we're never truly unblemished after all.

Still, it sucks. And no matter what we've learned over the years, we'll still squeeze that pimple until it's an empty yet raw pulp that'll take weeks to heal.

Sean D. Schaffer
03-10-2008, 06:24 AM

I think I've had one person guess my correct age. Most think I'm older than I really am when they look at the gray spots in my hair. When I tell them I'm in my mid-30's, a lot of people are very surprised. :)

Thankfully, they believe me when I tell them my real age. I have yet to be asked to show my driver's license to prove that I really am younger than 45. :)

And, there's a couple people I've known for years, who still think I'm younger than I really am, even though I've told them my real age ... several times. ;)

Susie
03-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Thx much, guyz. Super replies!

Robert Toy
03-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Susie, it's how old we are inside that counts. Me? I'm gonna be a juvenile delinquent at 80. So there.
You also can get away with saying, "damn kids today!"...:tongue

juneafternoon
03-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I've had people ask me what I'm majoring in! I don't get it, to me I look like my actual age if not younger. Usually people guess 17ish though. It's hilarious, especially at parties with pervy bartenders :)

Shadow_Ferret
03-10-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm 52 and recenty got carded for liquor and told the girl I was old enough to be her father, and she said 'Yeah, you look like you could be his age" and I asked how old her father was, and she said "38"

;)I was thinking it was cool that I would get carded every now and again at this one store. But now I find out it's store policy to ask EVERYONE for their card. Has nothing to do with how young you look.

Danger Jane
03-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Soo she guessed 45, right, Susie??

When I was around sixteen people started thinking I was in college, ish, because I was getting to be around 5'7.

Last summer (age seventeen) I was nannying full time for my aunt, whose four kids were ages 8, 4, and 3 months...an awful lot of people wanted to know how old my baby or my twins (the four year olds) were. I mostly let them think they were talking to some unlucky teen mother...or then again maybe they just thought I was older...

I don't expect to age particularly gracefully, but that gives me low standards to meet!

choppersmom
03-11-2008, 01:42 AM
I just remembered another one! Last year at our community Christmas party, we got some kids from the high school orchestra to play Christmas music. After, an old lady at the party came up to me and asked me if I was planning to keep playing music after high school! I was baffled at first, than it dawned on me that she had me confused with one of the orchestra girls! I laughed and laughed. I mean, I was 41, fer cryin' out loud! I would like someone to think I'm a grownup sometimes!

Voyager
03-11-2008, 01:45 AM
But I told you I wasn't staring at your chest.

Sheesh.

All my AW women look younger than they are, and they're all younger than that lie that's printed on their drivers licenses (except for the really young ones who are really old enough to go out and buy tequila, as long as they drink responsibly and don't drive).
Not to mention that the pic in the avi is from ten years ago. I really look like this now http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/RomeoFalling/HCAL5H3GPCADV599JCA1DDEODCAMW3V08CA.jpg

My-Immortal
03-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Aww, thanks so much. You guys sure make me feel good and back atcha! In some stores, they card people up to 40 years of age! Man, they're strict! :Hug2:

What??!! Now you're making ME feel old. I haven't been carded anywhere...for years...and I'm not even 40 yet...

:(

skelly
03-11-2008, 02:40 AM
I generally get pegged as late thirties, when in fact I am in my early forties. People have always guessed me to be around five years younger than I am...but I think it has a lot more to do with my inability to grow up and act my age. But be ye not fooled. I am well on my way to becoming a crotchety old geezer. Like Haggis and davids the lobster.

*deep sigh*

Yup. Just like that.

JeanneTGC
03-11-2008, 02:51 AM
My husband still gets carded regularly. Sometimes people ask us if he is our 17 year old daughter's boyfriend (his reaction to this is never, ever kind or pleasant).

On the other hand, the only times I get carded any more are at Albertson's, where the male checkers and box boys KNOW how to flirt and make you love them.

I, however, always do my best to guess 20 years younger or legal age to drink, depending on the person. It's amazing the friends you make that way.

davids
03-11-2008, 02:52 AM
I generally get pegged as late thirties, when in fact I am in my early forties. People have always guessed me to be around five years younger than I am...but I think it has a lot more to do with my inability to grow up and act my age. But be ye not fooled. I am well on my way to becoming a crotchety old geezer. Like Haggis and davids the lobster.

*deep sigh*

Yup. Just like that.

oh yee of little Petunias-how dost thine garden grow?
dunno me mom gave me these pills and told me to piss off!
I replied-ah you think my problem is perhaps not chicken soup but urination as Abe Lincoln once said to a vastly segregated audience!

see skellman if you keep at it you to will have the wisdom of el lobsterino and be able to write geniusotical prose as what I doneded above!

Chumplet
03-11-2008, 06:47 AM
I think it's mostly the youngsters that accidentally hit on the actual age of older people. They either think everyone older than 30 is ancient, or they simply don't know how to flatter people.

I stopped being carded when I was in my late 30's. A co-worker of my husband saw a picture of me with my new daughter and said he was a cradle robber. I was 30.

I'm almost 50 and people think I'm ten years younger, as long as I touch up my grey roots (which started when I was 25). That picture in my avatar is only three years old.

Susie Lou, by your posts I always pictured you as 25.

HeronW
03-11-2008, 09:13 PM
I've been mistaken for 10 years younger but my sig other at only 5 years younger and there's a 10 yr dif between us with me the older, so... :}

dreamsofnever
03-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Awww. How rude!

Up until recently, I had the opposite problem. As in, people thought I was still in high school (I'm 26). It was bad enough that two years ago, I was writing out a check for something at target and the cashier said "you can fill out this survey online and possibly win money." then she looked at me and said "ohhh, but you have to be 18. sorry."

And I'm like "uhh... would I have a checking account if I wasn't 18?"

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad thing to look younger, but I would rather not be mistaken for a high school student! To me that says I either dress too young or don't carry myself well.

Ah well... age is just one of those funny things that we're never happy with, are we? But as long as you feel and act young, that's the important thing ;)

maestrowork
03-12-2008, 08:17 AM
I was at an amusement park in the summer and they had this "guess your age/weight" game -- if they guessed wrong, you won a prize. Well, I thought my weight would be easy to guess, but not my age. I was right. The guy missed it by a mile. It made me feel really good -- that was a good enough prize for me.

SpookyWriter
03-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Chinese always looks a hundred years younger that they really are...

Susie
03-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I was at an amusement park in the summer and they had this "guess your age/weight" game -- if they guessed wrong, you won a prize. Well, I thought my weight would be easy to guess, but not my age. I was right. The guy missed it by a mile. It made me feel really good -- that was a good enough prize for me.

That's great, Ray, but what prize did ya get? :)

Carole
03-12-2008, 03:28 PM
Well, of all the nerve. I think that clerk should be docked at least half a day's pay! I used to get very low guesses for my age and I would also be met with shock when I told people the ages of my boys. Not so much anymore. That stinks.

Personally, I can't imagine that you're a day over 25!

auntybug
03-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I would NEVER ask that question Sooz!

The most fun I've had with age is one of my son's friends telling me how much fun they had in a bar one night. She had no idea I was his mother! I wish I had a picture of the look on her face when I told her!

EriRae
03-12-2008, 05:25 PM
I found the cure for people thinking you're younger than you really are...work third shift. Now I look like I should have one foot in the grave, rather than one year out of high school :( I hope the elasticity in my face comes back once I've had a few months of regular sleep again. I look like a walking corpse, especially this late in the morning.

Suz, you'll always be sixteen in my book.

stormie
03-12-2008, 05:33 PM
Oh, Susie, you're beautiful and forever young. :Hug2:

I should wear glasses to see even short distances; I'm very near-sighted. Well, I hate wearing them. So when I look in the mirror, I see a perennial twenty-something. :D

Susie, do you have the name and address of that clerk? We can all send greeting cards to her when she hits forty. (You're only thirty, right?!)

maestrowork
03-12-2008, 05:58 PM
That's great, Ray, but what prize did ya get? :)

I got a stuffed monkey. And it was delicious.

maestrowork
03-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Chinese always looks a hundred years younger that they really are...

Not true. I just recently saw some pictures of my high school reunion. A friend of mine looked 15 years older than his real age. It was really scary (I think he must have had a hard life).

davids
03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
age is two old comrades havin a beer and a bullshit session-one thinks that every time you go to sleep and wake up that you are one day closer to being dead-one of em-me-wakes up runnin'-that is the difference-it is interesting how with age one should gain wisdom which often happens-sometimes I think I was a lot brighter at around eight years old-precocious yes indeed-then it all somehow seemed to reverse on me-Hmmm!!

reigningcatsndogs
03-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I can remember looking at my parents when they were in their forties and thinking they were ancient. I honestly thought it would be a miracle if they lived long enough to see me graduate high school. It was beyond the realm of possibility for them to live long enough to ever see my kids. When you're young, you have no concept of age (Tony thinks I look 21! That's why I love him so much :D)

Now that I'm in my 40's, I can't imagine I'm as old as they were (of course, that could just be because I am particularly perky). It's all relative.

Susie, you are beautiful and fun and wonderful, and age doesn't matter a rip!

maestrowork
03-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I know, when I was in college I thought my parents were so OLD. They were only in their early 50s. Now I have friends in that age group and I don't think much of it. Heck, I am closing in on that age group myself. Meanwhile, I think the new college kids are so awfully young. Ack, I could have been their parent!

Ray, who needs to find his happy place...

nerds
03-12-2008, 08:00 PM
My age insults me all the time. I always turn a deaf ear to it. In a few more years I'll be old enough to actually be deaf, then I can stop turning the damn ears, tiring that.

Haggis
03-12-2008, 08:29 PM

*deep sigh*

Yup. Just like that.

You'll need a mentor, Skelly. I'll take you under my wing leg. Old and crotchety takes work, but the dividends are worth it.

First thing--go tell that kid over there to stay off my lawn.

maddythemad
03-12-2008, 09:05 PM
I never ask, and yet I hear, "15?! I thought you were 28!" a lot.

Mostly from creepy guys who I am trying to get to f*ck off.

I'm sure they thought I was 28.

maddythemad
03-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Oh, and whenever any adult asks me how old I think they are, I say 25. If they're in the 30-35 age group they'll be flattered, and if they're older, they'll take it that I'm joking.

James81
03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
I cut my hair real short and started wearing it short and combed forward (when it grew out enough) as opposed to the hairstyle I alway wore (combed back) and I started getting carded again (I'm 26). I took that as a compliment.

I guess if I shaved my goatee I'd like like a high school kid. lol

III
03-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Can you imagine, I asked a clerk how old she thought I looked and to my horror and surprise she said exactly how old I am. Now that's just rude.

Buck up, Susie. Maybe the clerk misheard and thought you asked her to guess your IQ?

*rimshot*

But seriously, you have a light that shines with an ageless brilliance Susie. That's more important than what year you were born.

Susie
03-12-2008, 10:49 PM
Buck up, Susie. Maybe the clerk misheard and thought you asked her to guess your IQ?

*rimshot*

But seriously, you have a light that shines with an ageless brilliance Susie. That's more important than what year you were born.

Yeah, III, that MUST have been it. :D and that is sooooo beautiful (your second comment). You sure know how to make us gals (& guys) smile. :Hug2: