Walk like an Egyptian...

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Okay, so I'm going to Egypt in a couple of weeks. I'll be in Cairo for a few days, then down the Nile. I'm taking my son, who's almost eight and has a real thing for Egypt, mummies, and pyramids.

So, how 'bout some advice? What to do in Cairo, aside from the museums. Well, actually, you can tell me which museums would be best. There are probably quite a few. And where to eat, what's good?

Come on, let me hear it...

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All you'll get from me is envious sighs.

And a demand for photos when you return. :D

Have a good trip! I'm sure someone here will chime in with some good tips for ya soon.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
You'll have a blast. I always wanted to visit Egypt. I hear the food is great. No kidding. I love middle-eastern food.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You've got to try the Pyramid of Pancakes - great breakfast!

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
:roll: I don't suspect he's going to Egypt, Mississippi.

Oh! the real Egypt. In that case, a little advice - Getting caught with illegal drugs is a serious offense. What I heard works best: de Nile.

Last edited:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He wants to visit his mummy. Why else?

tuumapommidest_liisa.jpg

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Oh! the real Egypt. In that case, a little advice - Getting caught with illegal drugs if a serious offense. What I heard works best: de Nile.
:roll:I heard drugs were a real problem in Istanbul. He'll have to go cold turkey.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Man!

What an unusual and fascinating sounding vacation.

Any reason why you chose Egypt?
Won the cruise in a charity auction. We have to use it by a certain date, or we lose it. That was over a year ago, then we had a baby. So, it's now or never. since my wife travels all over the world, as it is, we thought that this would be best--he really wants to go there and it gives the two of us some much-needed time together, away from the girls (my wife and two daughters).

MoonWriter

Registered
Reaction score
:roll:I heard drugs were a real problem in Istanbul. He'll have to go cold turkey.

Or Wild Turkey, or J&B, or Jack D. Ok, I give up. It's too hard to keep up with you, Spooky. Back to writing and this time I'm serious.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Won the cruise in a charity auction. We have to use it by a certain date, or we lose it. That was over a year ago, then we had a baby. So, it's now or never. since my wife travels all over the world, as it is, we thought that this would be best--he really wants to go there and it gives the two of us some much-needed time together, away from the girls (my wife and two daughters).

Oh my!

Talk about luck!

I know you and your son will have a great time and build memories to cherish forever.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm going to Egypt in a couple of weeks. I'll be in Cairo for a few days, then down the Nile. I'm taking my son, who's almost eight and has a real thing for Egypt, mummies, and pyramids.

So, how 'bout some advice? What to do in Cairo, aside from the museums. Well, actually, you can tell me which museums would be best. There are probably quite a few. And where to eat, what's good?

It’s a great trip especially with your son. Have you booked a hotel yet, if so is it downtown (near Giza) or near the airport (Heliopolis)?

As for the Pyramids, you are in for a shock. All of the beautiful pictures are taken from the desert side (top of plateau), when you drive or are driven to the Pyramids you will be below the level and among shops, restaurants, hotels and then you will finally get a peek at the top of the Great Pyramid. Eventually you will get up to the top of Giza and even though it sits right at the edge of the city, it is impressive.

One of the things that most folks do is the tour (climb into the Great Pyramid) to the King’s chamber. WARNING!!!! If you are claustrophobic don’t do it! You enter an upward inclined tunnel that you have to hunch down to clear your back (I’m only 6’) and your footing is a series of wooden boards. Well after climbing in this tiny tunnel for what seems like an hour you will final reach the King’s chamber, OK, big empty room with a hole in the floor.

You follow the exit sign and out you go, knowing that you have climbed near the top and lo and behold you have probably climb no more than 50/60 feet vertically. (BTW, when I did that climb, the next day my legs (thighs) were killing me).

While you are in the area of the Pyramids and the Sphinx you will be approached by bunches and bunches of vendors, who will press magic scarab beetles into your hand, trying to give them back is quite fun as he will insist you keep it. If you ask how much, he will reply “As you wish.” I discovered if you say “I wish to pay nothing.” He will grunt and take it back! :tongue

If you perchance want to venture to the “good side of the Pyramids (like the ones in the pictures), you will be offered a camel ride, for a fee of course. Once out a distance the fee could change to get back!

Oh, from the desert side, you can see the President’s Palace…nice place.

Food, I love the local eateries, there is a huge roast chicken place (or was) just down from Giza where you just sit at a long table and chow down. You pay local prices, which is near zip. No shortage of 5 star hotels, etc. if that’s your thing.

Oh, if you are going to be in Cairo for a few days, see if you can make arrangements to keep one driver, they do tend to look out for your interest and keep most of the hawkers away from you. They are also great for helping you shop. Typical things people get are the Papyrus drawings (really neat) and of course a cartouche with your name in hieroglyphics. I got one for my wife that I told her meant Bitch...;)

Let’s see, Ah the City of the Dead, which is anything but dead with all of the Sat antennas attached to the tombs, I forget how many people I was told that actually live there full time, but it is a lot.

Since you are going to Cairo, from the airport into Cairo you will be going through the suburb of Heliopolis (high end, embassies, etc.) anyway along the road in just outside the airport there use to be the Heliopolis Sheraton, it had burned down, but was rebuilt.

That was my old hang out. If you get a change, see if it is still in operation and just stop by. As you enter the check-in is off to your right, lounge/bars to your left and the elevators would be straight ahead of you, oh 50 feet or so. There use to be a black granite statue of two Egyptian Women standing side by side against the wall. One had the wicked smile on her face. One visit, I happen to look behind the statue and one girl has her hand on the other girl’s ass! I have no idea if the statue is still there.

Enough.

There are other things to do, but not with an 8 year old son in tow…:D

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
While you're there, try to solve that ancient Egyptian mystery ... what is wrong with Susanna Hoff's eyes that prevents her from ever looking straight ahead?

She's really wall-eyed, isn't she? I knew it.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I hate your guts.

And I'll probably PM you some info.

But I still hate your guts.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All you'll get from me is envious sighs.

I was gonna say, 'I hope a camel bites you.' But since you won the trip, 'I hope a camel spits on you.' :D

Have fun. Be careful.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score

Rob, you should talk to JessRamage, she goes once a year.

lute

That is so amazing! I would love to visit Egypt. I find that a peculiar vacation spot as well, but an awesome one no less.

What I've found when going to a place I am unfamiliar (I recently visited Costa Rica) is to buy (or, if you can't afford one, camp out at Barnes and Noble for a couple hours) one of those books for tourists and just skim through it to get a good idea where some good places to go would be, and to wing it from there. We've had some interesting experiences that way.

At any rate, have a fantastic time. Take a ton of pictures!

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
What I've found when going to a place I am unfamiliar (I recently visited Costa Rica) is to buy (or, if you can't afford one, camp out at Barnes and Noble for a couple hours) one of those books for tourists and just skim through it to get a good idea where some good places to go would be, and to wing it from there. We've had some interesting experiences that way.
Fodor's is a GREAT website to get information. It describes, rates the attractions and gives prices. Look it over.