03-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Why do some folks do this?
To get pencils to write smoother?
Like this: _____________________________
As opposed to this: _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Or this: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HeronW
03-09-2008, 06:11 PM
I think it used to be a time-killer or nervous tick until the person thought of something. Only sharpening the pencil would bring the lead to a point, then it wears down to a wider point. If the lead breaks off and gets jagged, licking won't smooth it. Licking does nothing for the lead or the tongue. This may also be a hold over of quill tip pens, either the feather quills or the later metal ones that clogged with ink. Wetting would be done to remove the old ink.

dpaterso
03-09-2008, 06:28 PM
I think this profound question belongs in a higher venue than Basic Writing Questions, so I'm punting it over to Office Party for the intelligentsia to debate. (Actually it was a coin-toss between OP and Tech Forum.)

-Derek

Devil Ledbetter
03-09-2008, 06:31 PM
It's a form of oral fixation.

Maryn
03-09-2008, 07:11 PM
No historians here to explain that old-time graphite pencils wrote more easily when dampened? Huh.

Maryn, perplexed

BlueLucario
03-09-2008, 07:14 PM
It kind of frustates me to see my pencils written like this

=====================================

>.<

Jean Marie
03-09-2008, 07:38 PM
I think this profound question belongs in a higher venue than Basic Writing Questions, so I'm punting it over to Office Party for the intelligentsia to debate. (Actually it was a coin-toss between OP and Tech Forum.)

-Derek
You thought Fahim would know?

Ken
03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
thnx for the switcheroo, Derek. :)
Was pretty clueless about where to place the thread.
But did get a good answer:

Licking does nothing for the lead or the tongue. This may also be a hold over of quill tip pens, either the feather quills or the later metal ones that clogged with ink. Wetting would be done to remove the old ink.

astonwest
03-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Everyone knows that's the only way to get your daily recommended dose of graphite...

DWSTXS
03-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I don't use pencils. weirdly enough, I can't stand the feeling, the sensation of the pencil scratching on the paper. I use pens when I have to write. Usually blue, not black.

Also, I heard that licking enough pencils can affect your health. This may or may not be true, maybe an urban myth.

Danalynn
03-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I saw a special on 20/20 (or one of those type of news shows), that put a pencil tip and a pen tip under a strong microscope, and there were MILLIONS of tiny things crawling all over the tips that you cannot see with the naked eye!!!

That image has never left me, and it was probably 25 years ago that I saw that special!

Those creepy crawlies can stay on the pencil led, thank you very much! They aren't going anywhere near my mouth!

Eeeeek!!!!!!!

:e2thud:

Devil Ledbetter
03-10-2008, 12:29 AM
I saw a special on 20/20 (or one of those type of news shows), that put a pencil tip and a pen tip under a strong microscope, and there were MILLIONS of tiny things crawling all over the tips that you cannot see with the naked eye!!!

That image has never left me, and it was probably 25 years ago that I saw that special!

Those creepy crawlies can stay on the pencil led, thank you very much! They aren't going anywhere near my mouth!

Eeeeek!!!!!!!

:e2thud:Try putting your tongue under a strong microscope, then report back to us.

Also, your eyelashes.

Ken
03-10-2008, 12:32 AM
DWSTXS: Spongy pencil grips can help soften the feel.
I also used to write with pens, but do too much erasing now for that to be practical, sad to say.

"...daily recommended dose of graphite"
good one, hee hee :)

Ken
03-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Millions of creepy crawlies on the tip of my pencil? Ahhhhhhh!!!
But hey, maybe I can persuade them to write for me :)

rugcat
03-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Try putting your tongue under a strong microscope, then report back to us.

Also, your eyelashes.You don't want to know what's in your mattress. Ignorance is bliss.

Danalynn
03-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I know. . . .

I try not to think about it. But if I saw a picture of it, like I did with the tips of pencils, I'd probably have to start sleeping standing up. LOL!

:ROFL: