Not open for further replies.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
My sincere apology to all those that I offended

Fellow AW’ers, I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for two threads that I posted earlier today in 2 other threads. I understand that several people ( 2 or 3 that I know of) were offended.
I also apologize to the mods for any discomfort that I may have caused, and I hope that I didn’t cause any bad feelings between anyone in our little writing community.

Even if they weren’t, I apologize, because someone could have been offended. My PC card was revoked years ago, and based upon several other threads I’d seen, I felt my ‘jokes’ were safe enough for inclusion upon AW boards. In today’s society of intolerance, even in this age of enlightenment, it is extremely wrong to offend anyone, even in the slightest way. I had forgotten that. Maybe I’m still believing too literally in freedom of speech and enlightened individuals, and the ability to distinguish between satire, humor and reality.
With all the sex, violence and gore in today’s media, what with nudity on MTV and frighteningly violent movies and video games, I sincerely believed that what I said was fairly tame.

My posting, without saying exactly what it was, dealt with the idea that men tend to sexually objectify women. I’m not even going to post a link to those threads, because I don’t believe in the credo that ‘any press is good press, good or bad’.
For the record, I don’t believe it is right to treat women as sexual objects. It is stupid and wrong and juvenile and offensive. The whole idea of my posting was to magnify this stupidity of thought that some less enlightened men still persist in.

In fact, I was trying to ridicule the exact attitude that I was accused of.

I respect women. I respect for their place in our society, and in our fabric of life. My ‘joke’ was supposed to draw attention to the fact some men still behave in offensive ways.
What matters is what’s inside a person, not what they look like on the outside. I have believed that all my life, and I still do now.
Again, my ‘hypothetical’ was designed to show that there are still people who persist in degrading women, and how wrong it is to do so. In my defense, I was trying to do the opposite of offending anyone. What I was trying to do, is to show that it is funny, sad and stupid to think otherwise. In my opinion, I was simply, guilty of satire, and also of not realizing that younger persons who could be offended, had access to the postings.

As writers, we are all aware that every author probably doesn’t ‘believe’ that everything he/she writes is the truth. If I write a scene in my novel showing a character committing a crime, it doesn’t mean that I condone such action. It is, after all, fiction.

A ‘joke’ too, is a fiction. It may not be as long as novel, or even a short story or a poem, but still, it shares the fact that it is, a fiction. If I tell a joke, you should never think, believe, or infer that said joke is my credo, view of life, or that it exemplifies, in any way, my philosophy of life. If everyone believed that all jokes were truths being told by the teller, then most comedians, rap stars, and actors would be in prisons.

A joke is a joke is a joke.

Again, I do apologize for my ‘joke’ appearing in a forum where younger adults were granted access, and I hope that anyone who came across my posting wasn’t offended, corrupted or scandalized by my words.
Specifically, to the ones who did express their outrage, I apologize for having infringed upon your sensibilities and I am sorry that my actions caused you any discomfort, real or imagined.
I have enjoyed being a part of the AW community and feel that being a part of said community can only help my writing, and I hope to be a part of this family for a long time.
Thank you.
Doyle Sinclair

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I think it's always worth bearing in mind that the reader only sees the words on the page, and cannot and will not be able to divine your intent without some fairly direct guidance. That goes for any written interaction - and doubly so on a message board like AW, where we have so many folks and such a diverse membership.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
About which posts are you mea cupling?

I am offended. I didn't even get a chance to read 'em.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I love jokes, ethnic, racial, sexual, and scatalogical. I do not know whom you offended, but I suspect most of us offend the too thin-skinned and those who do not get it.

Don Rickles lives!

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what you're talking about, but this

Maybe I’m still believing too literally in freedom of speech and enlightened individuals, and the ability to distinguish between satire, humor and reality.

doesn't sound sincerely apologetic.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a guy. I was offended (not at first, but the thread quickly deteriorated). And, if you wanted to apologize, you should have stopped writing after your first sentence - the rest sounds like a mixture of justification and pure BS.

Hopefully your future posts will show off your ability to amuse, to entertain, and to make us laugh in a more appropriate manner.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what you're talking about, but this

doesn't sound sincerely apologetic.

I believe it's called 'sarcasm'.

DWSTXS, I also believe in freedom of speech, but something we both have to realize, is that this board is privately owned. The owners can regulate posters' speech however they wish, because they're not a government entity and are therefore not bound by its regulations.

I would recommend that you try, at least, to listen to what the moderators have said, and do your best to follow the administrators' rules. They're not afraid of banning even fairly likable people. I myself have been involuntarily banned for my words, and rightfully so. I was, in fact, a jerk that day ... to put it mildly.

So just remember that freedom of speech, on this privately owned board, is not necessarily a right. It's a privilege, and if we abuse that privilege, we lose it.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Yep - how times have changed, Sean.

Doyle, we all hit 'send' a little too quick sometimes. Shit happens.

JJ

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
We're also all writers. (Hopefully) creative types, and we can tend to push the edges of things a bit hard because, well, it's just our nature to do so.

I wasn't particularly offended (yet) - but wanted to stop the momentum of thread death-spiral. That's my job, you know?

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I missed the threads in question, alas, but speaking as one who has taken his turn at pissing Mac off *waves at Mac* I can only add that at some point I had to sit down and remind myself why I found and joined this community in the first place. It was for the writing stuff, not to debate with people or bludgeon them with my opinions on anything. There are a zillion other boards for that, if I really feel like I have that much time on my hands that needs to be wasted. Since that time, I've stuck pretty much to the writing topics, and left all the cussin' and discussin' to others. I just stick to what I came here for in the first place: writing, making friends, and goofing around with my friends when I should be writing.

:D

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I missed the threads in question, alas, but speaking as one who has taken his turn at pissing Mac off *waves at Mac* I can only add that at some point I had to sit down and remind myself why I found and joined this community in the first place. It was for the writing stuff, not to debate with people or bludgeon them with my opinions on anything. There are a zillion other boards for that, if I really feel like I have that much time on my hands that needs to be wasted. Since that time, I've stuck pretty much to the writing topics, and left all the cussin' and discussin' to others. I just stick to what I came here for in the first place: writing, making friends, and goofing around with my friends when I should be writing.

:D

Thank you kindly for the reminder. :) In my own case, I had forgotten my original purpose for being here, too.

*Goes off to find some writing-related threads*

And Doyle, I hope you have a better day today. :) It's easy to get caught up in other people's opinions, but to just back away from a potential blow-up is really the best thing anyone can do in a situation like this. To say, "I'm backing out of this discussion" is a lot easier than sticking to it and getting your butt whipped as ten or twenty people come down hard on you.

:)

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I love jokes, ethnic, racial, sexual, and scatalogical. I do not know whom you offended, but I suspect most of us offend the too thin-skinned and those who do not get it.

Don Rickles lives!

Come on, Don, tell us a good poo joke :D

DW, I read the posts, and while not offended myself, it takes a hell of a lot more than that, I can understand why some people would be. You have to remember that it's one thing to attribute statements and attitudes to a character in a work of fiction, and another to put offensive views out there on a forum as your own. Some people aren't going to get the sarcasm, others are going to deliberately ignore the fact that it was meant to be sarcastic in order to make an opposing point. I'm sure there were others still who were simply offended by the language and the subject matter altogether. If you're going to be edgy, learn to live with the consequences like a big boy. If you're sorry, say so, don't qualify an apology with excuses.

sarchasm :.
(sär'kăz'əm)
  1. 1. (n.) The abyss between the creator of witticisms and the intended recipient who does not find the humor in it.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
We're also all writers. (Hopefully) creative types, and we can tend to push the edges of things a bit hard because, well, it's just our nature to do so.

I wasn't particularly offended (yet) - but wanted to stop the momentum of thread death-spiral. That's my job, you know?

That's your job, yes. And you do it well. We all thank you.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Dear god. How on earth is it there all these survivors of Mac's terrible wrath running around willy-nilly, and posting impudent stuff?

I must practice being more wrathful. And grudgetudinous. And stuff.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
Dear god. How on earth is it there all these survivors of Mac's terrible wrath running around willy-nilly, and posting impudent stuff?

I wasn't scurred, I thought it was hawt.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'd suggest a scarier avatar, but someone's running around with a sparkle dispenser.

Might make matters worse...

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The hallmark of a good admin is a willingness to be undeservedly reviled. Board administration is the highest form of masochism.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score

I remember my first MacBannination. It was 5 minutes of sheer horror.
(Trembles in the corner, having nightmares of coyotes and Acme.)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Don't forget shaking the Stern Finger Of Authority.

Status
Not open for further replies.