• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

To Title or not to Title that is the question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnonk

Registered
Reaction score
Do you create the title for your work first (or work from a title), does it come as you develop the story or do you wing it 'til the end & hope to come up with something before it goes to the agent?
For my novel, I was driving a truck making deliveries. I stopped at this business, Thunder Bay, & BAM the story just seemed to hit me all at once - it was an incredible feeling. I couldn't write it all down fast enough. I knew what I wanted to do from start to finish. I think I wrote nearly 30 pages of notes in 2 days or so.
So, for me, it all started with the title.
What about you?

Adrian

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah, a title definitely helps me focus as well as spawning and growing ideas. Knowing the title up front also gives me a filename I can easily recognize instead of WIP27.doc

-Derek

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
The first book's title came to me early in the writing process and it was very useful to keep a few ideas in character. The sequel, I only thought of a name after it was finished and polished. This was a disadvantage. I'm still not a hundred percent happy with the name, even though I've signed a contract with one publisher in Australia and I'm waiting for the one for Canada/USA. I've given the third book a name, but again, I'm not happy with it. It's only a quarter written, though, so I really should have a brainstorming session with myself to find a suitable name.

TheSauce

Registered
Reaction score
I'll slap a general identifier onto something until I have an idea, whether it just be a song title that I associate with the story, a genre tag(example: A Cyberpunk Love Story), or really anything that'll help me identify it and what I want to put in it; it helps me get at least a word or two onto the screen to take off from. The title almost always changes by the time I'm done, though.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
If I don't have a title, chances are I won't be writing a complete story. A title helps me focus and also helps me figure out the tone and mood of the tale. The name might change several times before I'm done, but I just simply have to have a title or nothing's going to happen.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I am so bad at titles, and have got to the point where I just give my MS a nickname till it's done.

But I do have to say there are times when you see a sign, or come up with a phrase and just think it would make a great title. Those actually rarely turn into books for me though. Odd huh?

(Thunder Bay is also a town here in Ontario!)

Elodie-Caroline

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
elodie.the.writer.tripod.com
With the very first novel I started writing, I had the title first and then made my story from that.
With my second one and its sequel, now as one, I had the story all written down and have so far changed the title/s 4 times... I'm sticcking with the title I have now though.

Elodie

JacobWorld

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
jacobworldireland.spaces.live.com
Hi mate

Look . Reaseach proved that people like shelfs and there is nothing to we can do about it . It doesnt matter what you do you will always find yourself on one of them . Even if you dont give it a title, people will do it for ya . It many not be the title you want though.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
I always start with a title. I feel lost if I try to write something without the title at the top. Most of the time if I don't have the title, I don't have a story. It'll just be a blank screen and I will stare at it until the title comes. It may just be a working title, but it has to be present before I can start writing.

~DragonHeart~

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My titles seem to be better if I come up with a real one early in the writing of the novel (as opposed to ones I know are placeholders for the real title). My writing doesn't seem to suffer when I don't have a title, and I have definitely written stuff and not found the title until after I was finished.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seems I'm the odd one out. I generally don't have a title when I start writing because I'm a complete pantser and have little idea of what the story is before I'm about 100 pages into it. It's actually rare that I have even a working title for a brandy new MIP. Usually I have one before I've hit the mid-point of the book, though.

Since I've never not had a title by the time of submission, it's not something to concern myself with.

Status
Not open for further replies.